Three American, Three German, One British aircraft...

Avimimus

What about Gloster Meteor ?

althought it never met the Me 262 in real life , it can be ineresting to face them against each other in the sim.

I'm also curious about Italian designs

Is there enough documentation and airworthy planes to make it possible to see some in RRG WW2 in the future?

Edited by kurnz

True!

Though it is understandable that many people here are brits and they want their country's planes the most. I would also love to fly Typhoon and Tempest.

Sure, but I don't buy for a moment that this is about fairness.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

If the game was to be completely fictional, such as war thunder I could understand the requirement for 1:1:1 ratio of aircraft, but fortunately it's not. As much as I'd love to fly the Mossie it is clear that the team do not plan on stretching their budget to ensure they can build the best possible representations of the aircraft. Currently Allied vs Axis number wise will be fairly even.

The B-17 would go with the P-51 like crumble and custard. But maybe after (assuming they make one eventually), they can do some more Commonwealth aircraft such as the Hurricane and the Mossie as well as expanding the German roster and head else where.

In reality, about half of the bombs dropped in strategic bombing were delivered by the Commonwealth (and a bit over half the casualties).

I'm going to go with slap own forehead smilie as well.... Not sure in what alternate history Brits dropped more tonnage....

Brit bombers carried more bombs? Lancasters could carry 10 000lbs bomb loads. Raf had more bombers than USAF? UK at war two years before they arrived? Don't honestly know the answer but suspect it's true.

Yah. Wasn't going to get involved with that statement for fear of 'bananaforumitis'.

But 'the Brits' dropped a great deal more tonnage, if memory serves. Not researched it though, so don't jump on me neck you chaps. :)

I don't see why it's soo hard to belive that brits dropped more bomb tonnage than US? I will give you the numbers right here for the years 39 to 45:

Dropped in Germany:

RAF: 964,644 tons

USAAF: 623,418 tons

Edit: I think US dropped more if you look outside Europe. I just wanted to clarify that before being bashed :)

Edited by Brisse

with a 109, a 190, and a Me626 I dont see much need for more Luftwaffe....and thats coming from someone that flys mainly 109s in other un-named games....

I really think a couple Heavies (AI) would help alot with playability

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

Tonnes of bombs doesn't make any sense in regards to what planes should be included. For one, it's not a bomber sim, and second, even if it was, that wouldn't have made a difference.

If it's going to be "fair", the devs would have to make up some sort of system valuing the war efforts of each country, and just go ahead and make one plane from each country, after weighing the amount of planes made of that type vs. the impact that they had, and a few other factors. It'd all end up becoming a very un-romantic and cold process, the outcome of which almost no one would be happy with.

Dropped in Germany:

Edit: I think US dropped more if you look outside Europe. I just wanted to clarify that before being bashed :)

Yup, that's what I thought. Thanks Brisse. But I don't really know how this thread got side-tracked into ordnance delivery analyses.

It was about maybe having another Brit plane in the pipeline to balance things up a bit.

But if we look at simply Axis vs Allied all is cool. I'd still like a Mossie/Typhoon/Tempest/Mossie/Mossie though. :)

Did anyone, especially the OP, consider that the aircraft choices were not made based on tonnage dropped on Germany. Might there not be a faint possibility that RRG has a reason for choosing these aircraft that has very little to do with what/where/when.

Btw, the forehead slap was for starting another 'American bias' thread a year before the product will see the light of day.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Let's point out one little fact. If the British have only one aircraft, it's their own fault for having a war-winning basic design from the outset in the Spitfire, while we Yanks muddled through the first two years with P-39s and P-40s, with a precarious trickle of P-38s and P-47s until we finally settled on the P-51.

That said, I still need to hear which variant of Mk IX we will be seeing. 'The Spitfire MK IX' is a pretty vague description, with all kinds of possible flavors. Big pointy rudder or classic rounded rudder? 'e' wing (2X20mm + 2X.50") or 'c' wing (2X20mm +4X.303)? Basic elevators or the horned type? Will it have a fuselage tank (why should the Mustang drivers have all the fun of a displaced CoG)?

What kind of Spitty are we getting?

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

while we Yanks muddled through the first two years with P-39s and P-40s.

that you may have done but you didn't fight anyone !

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

Correction: ...our first two years, during which US forces sank five or so Japanese carriers, fought the Guadalcanal campaign on the proverbial shoestring, invaded North Africa on the other shoestring, began an enormous buildup in Britain, the Mediterranean, the CBI and the Pacific, and oh, by the way, contributed significant percentages of the food and clothing consumed by our allies (military and civilian), not to mention the munitions, ships and aircraft provided via Lend-Lease across the longest logistics trains of the entire war, all while going from third rate military power to one of the first rank powers (at our own expense).

Happy now?

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

Correction: ...our first two years, during which US forces sank five or so Japanese carriers, fought the Guadalcanal campaign on the proverbial shoestring, invaded North Africa on the other shoestring, began an enormous buildup in Britain, the Mediterranean, the CBI and the Pacific.......

Happy now?

cheers

horseback

Along with the Commonwealth forces.....

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Obviously, a Hawker Tempest V should be included. Luthier, I'll gladly donate $100 for a Tempest kickstarter!

DCS A10C Warthog, DCS Black Shark 2, DCS P51D Mustang, DCS UH-1H Huey, DCS Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, Flaming Cliffs 3, Combined Arms

System: Intel i7 4770k @4,2GHz; MSI Z87-G65; 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM; 128GB SSD SATA3 (system disk); 2TB HDD SATA3 (games disk); Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X; Windows 7 64bit

Flight controls: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder; TrackIR 5; Thrustmaster F16 MFDs; 2x 8'' LCD screens (VGA) for MFD display; 27'' LG LCD full HD main display

to say America wasn't in the fight since near the start is a bit wrong.....I believe history teaches that America lost alot of sailors(civilian) trying to supply Britain and keep her in the fight......just because we waited for an official declaration of war does not mean we didnt try at all...

the attack on pearl harbor and Hitler stupidly,openly, declaring war on the US (the same idiot move he pulled on the USSR) simply untied our hands....

same thing with Japan...the war against china was raging, we were doing as much as legally possible without throwing the first official blow. Then what do they do...the best thing possible...they legally declared war on us and we put down the martinis and scotchs for a few years and kicked some serious ass...

....and the world has never been the same since.....

Edited by Davis0079

Correction: ...our first two years, during which US forces sank five or so Japanese carriers, fought the Guadalcanal campaign on the proverbial shoestring, invaded North Africa on the other shoestring, began an enormous buildup in Britain, the Mediterranean, the CBI and the Pacific, and oh, by the way, contributed significant percentages of the food and clothing consumed by our allies (military and civilian), not to mention the munitions, ships and aircraft provided via Lend-Lease across the longest logistics trains of the entire war, all while going from third rate military power to one of the first rank powers (at our own expense).

Both of you, shut it, please? It's bad enough with "my country's being discriminated", I don't think anyone wants to add "my country did more than your country".

Besides, it's all just a fight about what our grandfathers did +60 years ago. They aren't fighting about who did the most, so I don't see a reason for you to.

Yes - the point isn't who did the most or who bled the most. The point is to represent (to some extent) all of the countries which made sacrifices. These simulators are historical sources in their own way, and it is sad if entire sections of history get left out. The Commonwealth, Eastern Europe and the United States should all have their histories in the war be known.

I only raised the tons of bombs dropped because many people don't know that the night campaign was actually longer and larger than the daylight campaign. It appears that my anticipation of a dismissive attitude was warranted - For instance:

I'm going to go with slap own forehead smilie as well.... Not sure in what alternate history Brits dropped more tonnage....

I don't see why it's soo hard to belive that brits dropped more bomb tonnage than US? I will give you the numbers right here for the years 39 to 45:

Dropped in Germany:

Edited by Avimimus

Obviously, a Hawker Tempest V should be included. Luthier, I'll gladly donate $100 for a Tempest kickstarter!

Yeah - that is what I was getting at - although I want a Typhoon instead of a Tempest... and some type of bomber...

Absolutely.

We should not forget that the Lancs flew in a lot of daylight missions.

And they were the heaviest bombers in regards to loadout capacity in the ETO.

20,000 pounds is much more than the 17's 12,000.

Plus it had outstanding maneuverability for its size. It could perform a slow roll when empty.

But you have to love the 17. And the 24. Hell, all the heavies.

Let's hope it makes it sooner than later. I 'll gladly support another kickstarter just for the Fortress.

"When the Germans are bombing, allied troops take cover. When the RAF are bombing, German troops take cover. When the Americans are bombing, everybody takes cover" :)

Although the quote is probably relating to the difference between day and night bombing:

- Daylight formations (used by both the U.S. and Commonwealth - but favoured by the U.S.) had to keep formation and required releasing all bombs jointly.

- Formation flying at night could be deadly. So bombers would slip in singly (or in small groups) and each bombardier would aim separately. This actually lead to a denser and more accurate pattern of bombs (despite the fact that they were being dropped in the dark).

this project will surely have addons for more aircraft....they already mentioned in a few years starting a b-17 kickstarter....meaning a kickstarter for any other aircraft is not far fetched

hopefully other 3rd parties will have the ability to add airframes also....the way DCS works now, this doesn't sound far fetched either

The great thing about the DCS series is that if someone really wants to add an aircraft to the series, they can. I've seen a couple of helicoptors that are being built in the 'how to" section of the forums by fans of those particular machines. If they are able to get those projects included in DCS with ED's blessings then I have extremely high hopes for the DCS WWII series. Mossies and Corsairs and Uhu's, Oh my!:D

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"