DCS World and Windows 8.1

Simple question really. Does DCS World work with Windows 8.1? :)

Asus Maximus VII Gene/i5 4690K @4.6Ghz/EVGA GTX 1080 Classified watercooled/16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz/2 x Corsair 128Gb ssd in Raid 0/1 x OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 480Gb/1 x Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb hd and 1 x WD Caviar 600 Gb hd/EVGA Gold 750w psu/Corsair H80i cpu cooler/Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/Corsair 500R case/Corsair K95 keyboard/Logitech MX Master wireless mouse/Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog #41581/VKB T-Rudder MK2 pedals/TrackIR 5/Samsung 49" 4K 3D Screen/Samsung sound bar and sub.

Yes

:thumbup:

Asus Maximus VII Gene/i5 4690K @4.6Ghz/EVGA GTX 1080 Classified watercooled/16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133Mhz/2 x Corsair 128Gb ssd in Raid 0/1 x OCZ Revodrive 3 x2 480Gb/1 x Seagate Barracuda 2 Tb hd and 1 x WD Caviar 600 Gb hd/EVGA Gold 750w psu/Corsair H80i cpu cooler/Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/Corsair 500R case/Corsair K95 keyboard/Logitech MX Master wireless mouse/Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog #41581/VKB T-Rudder MK2 pedals/TrackIR 5/Samsung 49" 4K 3D Screen/Samsung sound bar and sub.

Today's the big day, omg 8.1! :cry:

But yes, confirmed to be good. No reason not to update. :thumbup:

Windows 10 64bit

Intel i7 9700K

Corsair H80i v2 Hydro Cooler

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra

32GB RAM

ASUS Z390 Maximus XI

Samsung 970 EVO 1tb NVMe Solid State Drive

EVGA Gold 1000w

HTC Vive Pro VR

Managed to install Windows 8.1 after 4.5 hours with no user intervention ... a lot of waiting.

Tips:

- Uninstall Classic Shell if installed (no longer needed)

- Do a complete system image to another hard drive

- Create a Windows System Restore Disk

- Do all of that prior to starting download of 8.1 Upgrade from Windows 8 APP Store

- DCS started up in 3D mode! NVidia control panel fixed that.

Good luck with your upgrade to Windows 8.1 ... should be relatively painless.

- Install Classic Shell 4.0 to get your Program Files back

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2054660/classic-shell-4-0-review-free-utility-restores-the-full-start-menu-that-windows-8-1-didnt.html

Edited by Backy 51

I don't need no stinkin' GPS! (except for PGMs :D) :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Install went fast for me, but had to do it twice. It did not explain to my why it could not finish the first time, but a shutdown, startup, and rerun did the trick. Had the plus side of fixing bluetooth, which I never used or cared about much, but it's nice to see it working again...

DCS was fine afterwards as well.

Here the download isn't even available yet (just checked a few minutes ago) but i'll go MadTommy's way and hold off for a few days until the servers become less jammed and bandwith increases. I can wait since i don't see any reason to upgrade, i don't use the "fancy" Win8 stuff anyway.

I even wonder how many people in here with Windows 8 run DCS from the Metro interface...?

I don't...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Updated tot Win8.1.

Not really happy with the result.

I have to log into my own computer again with a password. The updater didn't let me go on without entering one like on the previous Win 8. (might have to reinstall everything from scratch).

Classic shell was disabled and removed out of everything and their own button put in place which is nothing more then a switch button between desktop and Metro. Reinstalled already.

My newly setup Avast was gone and removed from starting up (like Classic Shell). Reinstalled already.

Win 8.1 forced again this dreadfull Segoe I font where i had set everything to Verdana which I (me... Microsoft...me....) like. Again have to redo all the stuff to get it back.

Didn't look into anything else yet.

But that pasword for startup really anoy's me.... It's my computer Microsoft... mine, not yours. I would like to decide if i enter a password for my own stuff, not you!!!

Now how to get rid of it (it was not possible for an admin account to remove the password once entered in Win 8). I just hope it isn't the same in here.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I'll consider it when they can actually deliver it to me as a downloadable, not live, update.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

and my brother wondered why i bought a $5 USB GBit network Stick, lol, trying to update a Tablet via Wifi is gonna be a joke, so I Updated a friends tablet on our primary internet line via GBit LAN Cable.

Windows 8.1 on the ASUS tablets is nice, makes me wanna push up my tablet purchase date to soon, instead of Tax Return season.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

If it's any consolation, when it failed the first go round, it did not try to redownload for the second try. It was quick to verify the download, and then finish up. Not really upset that it wasn't downloadable, save that if I ever have to reinstall I have to download it again, but then again for me at least the download was less than an hour. Don't know if that was just because of decent internet access or the time at which I did it, but regardless not the worst thing in the world.

MS hasn't even gotten their act together enough so that I can order an update on CD.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

A word of advice: go back to Windows 7 64 bits. Unless someone proves that DCS is "faster" in Windows 8.1, I won´t update...even then, I am in doubt because the only things that I hear from Windows 8 and 8.1 as a desktop OS are bad things.

A word of advice: go back to Windows 7 64 bits. Unless someone proves that DCS is "faster" in Windows 8.1, I won´t update...even then, I am in doubt because the only things that I hear from Windows 8 and 8.1 as a desktop OS are bad things.

In my case, it isn't my DCS machine that is running Win 8 and the Metro desktop is a non-issue with Classic Shell installed. I am generally happy with the performance, although there are still a few minor annoyances but nothing to stop me from using it.

I don't think that those that have just succeeded upgrading want to think about downgrading. And not faster yet. There were some threads about them using DX 11.1 features for Edge though, so it might prove faster soon-ish.

DX 11.1 is available in Win 8+ only (long winded: and even then only with 600 and 700 series nvidia cards and probably a handful of ati cards as well. DX11.1 has 11_0 and 11_1 compatibility levels just to confuse the issue even more..., so reading about the mess gives me a headache, but I gather the 3d features of 11.1 are implemented on the 600 series though not the 2d features so the 600 series is not technically an 11.1 capable, card but it should be able to do whatever 3d voodoo will be used to speed up the game if they really do use it. Anyway, that's what my reading told me. I could be wrong. The information available is not very clear either about edge, nvidia support for DX 11.1, etc.)

So if it does prove faster your advice is then a double kick to the junk dealing with downgrading just so you can consider upgrading again to eek out some additional frames...

Edited by xaoslaad

I don't think that those that have just succeeded upgrading want to think about downgrading. And not faster yet. There were some threads about them using DX 11.1 features for Edge though, so it might prove faster soon-ish.

DX 11.1 is available in Win 8+ only (long winded: and even then only with 600 and 700 series nvidia cards and probably a handful of ati cards as well. DX11.1 has 11_0 and 11_1 compatibility levels just to confuse the issue even more..., so reading about the mess gives me a headache, but I gather the 3d features of 11.1 are implemented on the 600 series though not the 2d features so the 600 series is not technically an 11.1 capable, card but it should be able to do whatever 3d voodoo will be used to speed up the game if they really do use it. Anyway, that's what my reading told me. I could be wrong. The information available is not very clear either about edge, nvidia support for DX 11.1, etc.)

So if it does prove faster your advice is then a double kick to the junk dealing with downgrading just so you can consider upgrading again to eek out some additional frames...

You could be right but not right now IMHO. Let´s wait and see...perhaps I will upgrade to Windows 9 by the time EDGE is out because Microsoft is going to update his OS one time per year as Apple do.

My experience with windows 8 has been quite good.

It uses less RAM and starts up ALOT faster.

I'm also using Start is back to get the start menu back and with that it really just feels like a better looking Win 7

DCS Wishlist: Ka 26

Anyone having issues with fsx after installing 8.1? It runs but the esc key during flight crashes fsx without an error or log.

This is problem with ATI drivers. Working drivers (with FSX) were 13.4. With 13.9 FSX crashes. Unfortunately 13.4 aren't compatible with 8.1. You can look here

Edited by Mirtma

Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X | i5 10600K@4700 | 32 Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | Gigabyte Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G |

MONITOR IIYAMA 24,5" LED LCD @ 1920 x 1080 | Windows 11

| Saitek X-55 Rhino | TrackIR 5 Pro