BitDefender and DCS_updater.exe

c0ff

does bitdefender still have a processes exception list?

would adding dcs_updater.exe, launcher.exe and dcs.exe resolve the issue?

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• ED Team
NO DOUBT! The only problem is (Im no tech guru) what would I tell them to lead them to believe its a problem on their end? I just cant tell them it doesn't work right.

Without BitDefender the updater works as intended. That's enough.

However, if BitDefender has some kind of a 'white-list' or 'trusted apps list', their support most probably will just ask you to use it.

To make everything clear:

Antiviruses, firewalls and all other kinds of programs, which change the way the OS works, should guarantee the compatibility with regular applications. Not the other way around.

DCS is an application which is developed for and requires a stock version Windows with no system-level modifications (complete system requirements are listed on our website). In all other cases, including, but not limited to antiviruses, firewalls, virtual machines, device emulators etc, the performance or even the ability of DCS to work is NOT guaranteed and is up for a user to debug, maintain and troubleshoot.

DCS and DCS Updater are normal Windows applications, using only well-documented APIs in their intended way. As an application requiring administrative access, DCS Updater has a valid digital signature, issued to The Fighter Collection.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

However, if BitDefender has some kind of a 'white-list' or 'trusted apps list', their support most probably will just ask you to use it.

BitDefender does have a whitelist under the Firewall tab. Click on "Application..." (Sorry, I'm not at PC) and add the DCS updater exe file to the list. This worked for me on a fresh install of DCS 1.2.7.

Edited by JimTM

Jim, the issue here is that the whitelist you are talking about is on user discretion.

Most users don't know how this work, but upon seeing this flagged instead issue support tickets and other measures asking why ED is sending "viruses" to them, because BitDefender (or whichever vendor is the case) tells them something is a "danger". Since most protection systems use a heuristic on top of existing threat definitions, it is important to help them get a central whitelist for legitimate applications. Only way to make them add something to the whitelist is for their paying customers to tell them they have false positives that are causing problems.

...and of course, the people that are not computer savvy, are not able to tell them this information. therefore, those of you that are savvy enough, please help do this for the sake of those that aren't.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

BitDefender does have a whitelist under the Firewall tab. Click on "Application..." (Sorry, I'm not at PC) and add the DCS updater exe file to the list. This worked for me on a fresh install of DCS 1.2.7.

Tried that & everything else. I contacted BitDefender, & waiting.

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K , 32 GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti , Win10 64, Rift CV1 & S VR

I am interested in resolving this as well, I am not savvy enough to explain though in any technical detail. I have however read quite a bit of response to this in this thread, I admit that a bit of it is over my head. With that being said, it seems that there are a few people on here that have explained it well enough to perhaps satisfy ant inquiry by the techs at BitDefender, so my question is, would I be out of line to simply open a ticket with them and send them the link to this thread instead of trying to explain it to them myself?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I just downloaded the bitdefender unisntall tool, they asked me if I wnat to take a survey explaining why I want to unistall the software, so I didi it and give them as a reason incompabilty with DCS World (plus freezes PC...). Maybe if all of us take ths survey they will solve this issue.

I'm not saying that you must unisntall bitdefender, but I think that we can show to Bitdefender people that there's a lot of people with this problem.

Looks like BitDefender prevents DCS_updater.exe either from running or from operating correctly.

There's nothing we can do here. DCS updater does have a valid digital signature and operates in a way any updater will, it does not use any tricks.

Please, file complaints to BitDefender so they will either fix their program or whitelist the DCS.

It worked before 127!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am interested in resolving this as well, I am not savvy enough to explain though in any technical detail. I have however read quite a bit of response to this in this thread, I admit that a bit of it is over my head. With that being said, it seems that there are a few people on here that have explained it well enough to perhaps satisfy ant inquiry by the techs at BitDefender, so my question is, would I be out of line to simply open a ticket with them and send them the link to this thread instead of trying to explain it to them myself?

I'd say that's fine. Just explain (in a courteous manner) that this is causing you issues that you want them to review, but that you yourself are not in a good place to explain, but that you feel could be explained by the thread.

I never tested BitDefender myself, so I have no clue how fast or eager they'd be to check this out, but my experience of the few times I've needed help from staff in similar companies would make me hopeful. Though obviously I haven't tested everyone... not even close. So maybe I was just lucky so far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I've set "Game Mode" in BitDefender to enable whenever the Repair or Update exe's are run (it currently only enables when DCS itself starts). So far so good.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

I too have Bitdefender and whenever DCS World wants to update, it hangs, my computer is unusable (I can't launch anything else) and it stays that way until I do a reset.

Game mode doesn't solve the issue for me. In fact, I've had an issue with Bitdefender in the past with trying to install a game from Gamersgate. Even in game mode, Bitdefender would flag and quarantine the installer. Adding the installer to the exclusion list solved that particular issue.

I've added my Eagle Dynamics directory to the exclusion list. We'll see if that fixes it.

EDIT: That did indeed fix the issue for me.

Edited by EvaUnit02
Update.

I've added my Eagle Dynamics directory to the exclusion list. We'll see if that fixes it.

EDIT: That did indeed fix the issue for me.

Cool. I had mine added too, so maybe this was letting it work. Anyone having trouble updating, who owns BitDefender, needs to do this and report back! :thumbup:

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

Ok, I see where you can add directories to "exclude" from scanning, but where do you go withing Bitdefender to set it so it automatically go into "Game Mode" in BitDefender to enable whenever the Repair or Update exe's are run

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Ok, I see where you can add directories to "exclude" from scanning, but where do you go withing Bitdefender to set it so it automatically go into "Game Mode" in BitDefender to enable whenever the Repair or Update exe's are run

Settings - General - Game List (link)

Sorry, probably would have been handy to add that to my post :doh:

Edit: I added DCS World/bin/DCS_updater.exe, Launcher.exe and also DCS.exe, just in case.

Edited by Tone71

Thanks

WARNING ABOUT AUTO-RENEWAL

BitDefender Auto-Renewal? $79!!

I received an email from some company that I did not recognized last Friday called Avangate Customer Service. I'd never heard of that before, but the subject said that my BitDefender Order had been Completed just a few hours before! What?! I never bought anything from BitDefender in over a year!! :doh:

After looking at it, it looked like my credit card had been charged for BitDefender Total Security 2013 (1 year/3 pcs).

Well, I had bought a 2 year/3pc copy of BitDefender 2014 from "NewEgg.com" about 2 months ago for just $55. Mainly because it came with a $55 rebate, so it was free! So why the HeII would I want this..

I called their US Support line 6 times, and it was in India. Ever time I could hear the support person just fine, but they said they could not hear me. I was breaking up. They suggested that I try chat support. So, After an HOUR of this crap I tried Chat Support. I sat there for 5 minutes until I got the message "Agent Unavailable.. Please leave a message."!!! So, I sent them an email. That was 4 days ago... :doh:

I finally got a reply today that said they would be happy to 'merge' my 2 copies of BD and add 6 months. I told them to refund my $79 immediately.

This is all too coincidental. I believe that they have their Auto-Renewal notice email from the 'Avangate' company so that they can 'say' they sent it, but I just deleted it (like I probably did). And I am wondering if they don't 'flag' my account so their phone system disrupts my phone call to India. (I tried 2 different phones, cell and land line over an hour) And then there is the chat that simply did not work at all. I have been a developer for over 30 years and know how easy all this would be to do. I have actually worked on Customer Retention Systems designed to stop customers from closing their accounts by guiding the rep through steps appease the customer.

This has pissed me off to no end. I am done with BitDefender. Especially after they had a bad Virus Definition file a few years ago that marked 'every file on my computer as infected' and quarantined my entire computer. Luckily I had a backup, but 1000's of users did not and had to rebuild their computers.

If you have BitDefender, Turn Auto-Renewal OFF unless you want to be automatically renewed. Wish that I had known they added this new 'feature'.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Settings - General - Game List (link)

Sorry, probably would have been handy to add that to my post :doh:

Edit: I added DCS World/bin/DCS_updater.exe, Launcher.exe and also DCS.exe, just in case.

I dont see that option when I open up settings and look at the general Tab? Different versions perhaps?

I dont see that option when I open up settings and look at the general Tab? Different versions perhaps?

You might need to turn on Automatic Game Mode for the link to appear; flick that switch and see what happens.

You might need to turn on Automatic Game Mode for the link to appear; flick that switch and see what happens.

I actually had the same thought and did that before I posted,,, nothing changes,,, any chance you can attach a screen shot,,, now Im even more curious

I actually had the same thought and did that before I posted,,, nothing changes,,, any chance you can attach a screen shot,,, now Im even more curious

Okay, so this is Antivirus, not Total Security but you should still have the Game List option somewhere.

12309443635_2e415063fa_z.jpg

Clicking on the Game List link brings up a window where you can add individual files.

Edited by Tone71
Just trying to embed the damn picture...

ok,, yes,, different versions. Im sure you are correct,, I will go hunting for it, thanks

Work around found for starting single player

Actualy I think we should focous on getting the team flying again!!!;) I have had no good responce from ED tech support about my issue of not getting my 127 singleplayer to get past the auto updater crashing / hanging... I keep telling support that I don't run "Bitdefender" they keep telling me to turn it off...I ask for a work around to turn off the auto updater I get NO responce from them...mabye they just got busy!? At any rate...I can start the single player by "Un-plugging the network cable to the PC ...starting single player then plugging the cable back in....good luck guys!

Anyone know of a better way to disable the auto updater PLEASE tell me!

16th mojeaux out;

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]