Pls explain JTAC UTM data entry in CDU as though to a COMPLETE IDIOT, thanks!

Bahger

Please accept my apologies in advance, as I know there are threads and YouTube vids aplenty on this subject. However, the vids are often too low-res for me to follow the button-presses and I just cannot find a step-by-step explanation in a thread that provides the relevant CDU settings in detail.

I'm not asking about making a new flight plan. I'd simply like to know how, step-by-step, including CDU page/mode settings, I can input the UTM coordinate given by JTAC and then make it show up as either a markpoint or a waypoint in the TAD (preferably a markpoint, as it is a ground ref), which I can make SPI and slave sensors to it.

Again, sorry to ask yet again but I'm tearing what's left of my hair out. If you are kind enough to provide an explanation, do not over-estimate my intelligence in this matter when doing so. Thank you!

Edited by Bahger

your a step ahead of me. i didnt know if the coordinates were given in utm or mgrs (w/e it is). Please, someone make a high res video of each and every step. For both UTM and MGRS coordinates. Would be a big help to all of us.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Intel i7-4790k | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo heat sink | Thermaltake Core V71 case | 750W EVGA PSU | 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150 motherboard | Samsung SSD | ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | TIR 5 | Razer Deathadder | Corsair K70

I will give it my best shot.

JTAC will give you a UTM or Lat/Long coordinate during the 9 line, and if you have your SADL net settings correct, you will also get a data linked target identifier in your TAD (a red triangle).

The following is based on JTAC giving you a UTM coordinate.

Use a mission data card to get all the info on the UTM coordinate and the specific weapon, direction of attack, direction of egress and weapon requested.

To make the UTM coordinate provided by JTAC into a waypoint do the following:

Find a safe area to do a wide orbit. Set your autopilot to ALT and then make a left or right banking level turn and hold it. Then engage the autopilot and ensure it is holding the turn and you have no elevation conflicts around you.

The UTM coordinates will be in the form of 2 letters and 6 numbers.

Make sure your STEER PT switch on your AAP Panel is set to FLT PLAN.

Set your right MFCD to the CDU repeater function.

*NOTE: If your CDU is not on the WAYPOINT PAGE, then hit the WP key on the CDU, or FUNC 3 on the UFC. This will bring up the page where you can choose to select WAYPOINT by hitting OSB 7. You should now be on the WAYPOINT PAGE and ready to continue.

Hit OSB 10 to switch from the default L/L (Lat/Long) to UTM.

Hit OSB 9 to select the number presented next to the question mark as your new target waypoint.

Using the CDU or the UFC, enter the 2 letters, and 6 numbers without spaces in the scratchpad.

Hit OSB 16 to enter the UTM coordinate in to the computer.

Verify the number entered is correct.

Using the CDU or UFC keypad give your new waypoint a unique name eg: TGT A and hit OSB 7 to change the name.

Now turn your STEER PT dial on the AAP from FLT PLAN to MISSION.

Use the UFC STEER rocker or with the HUD as SOI, DMS UP to cycle thru the waypoints until you see the unique name you created for this target.

Find your target waypoint symbol on the TAD and then use the steering cue's on the HUD to prosecute your attack.

EDIT #1: I added the item in italics for anyone who has moved off the Waypoint Page in the CDU, and needs to know how to get back.

EDIT #2: I created a Powerpoint Presentation outlining the steps covered in the post above, and added a few explanatory pictures. The UTM Data Entry Tutorial is provided in PDF format as an attachment below for you all to use.

JTAC 9 LINE UTM COORDINATE ENTRY PROCEDURE 03-08-2011.pdf

Edited by WarriorX
added item in italics
  • Like 22

This is really helpful, WarriorX, and exactly what I was after. I know how to set up for a JTAC-directed attack on a target but have always relied on the datalinked triangle, which has become a little elusive in the Release version of the sim. I don't know if the SADL Net settings are the full story here. Either way, it's important to have a backup MO via data input of coordinates from JTAC and your explanation of how to do it is the best I've read yet.

Does the new waypoint show up at ground level or at altitude?

Rep inbound. Your Radio Tutorial and Mission Data Card have been invaluable to me since the early Betas. Thank you for all your effort and expertise.

• Like 1

I'm happy to help, as there were many who helped me along.

I have not specifically checked, but I believe it is set at ground level via data from the DTS (Digital Terrain System).

• Like 2

Here's some more info on UTM / MGRS

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=68894

"You must spread some rep before you it to WarriorX again"

Nice explanation!

• Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Either way, it's important to have a backup MO via data input of coordinates from JTAC and your explanation of how to do it is the best I've read yet.

Completely agree. It's useful to know another method as a backup. Excellent write-up Warrior and an interesting note on UTM/MGRS from StrongHarm. Thanks :thumbup:

It's good to know *why* I'm doing things wrong at times ;)

Wow, Thanks WarriorX, you've just transformed this game for me. couldnt get on at all with that but finding a piece of p*s now. Just a note to fellow noobs that when you have the target set as steerpoint, hold China Hat Aft long to slave the TGP to it, little look around

(they maybe moving) then show them how its done :).

Just an idea I've only had a quick chance to try but didnt make much difference is... if the UFC coords point to a box that the target may be in, and we only use 6 digit but could be 8 or 10. Does that mean that if you visualize it as a box, you are looking at the top left corner of it. Then the next digit would divide that into 10? If so, would your UFC point to the Centre of the box if you added a 5 to the end of each - example:

GG 314 304 is the same as

GG 3140 3040 - this represents the top left

GG 3150 3050 - this represents the bottom right

GG 3145 3045 - This represents the centre

I gave it a quick try tonight but did not see much difference but only got time to try once. What do you all think?

• Like 1

______________________________________________________________________________________

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.4 Ghz | 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel | Ati HD4850 XFX | 22" Samsung TFT & NEC 17" touchscreen

Sorry WarriorX I think I may deducted reputation by mistake...wtf?!! I will reimburse you with rep later! Thank your for the post, very helpful.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Great minds think alike; idiots seldom differ.":pilotfly:

i5 3750K@4.3Ghz, MSI Z77A GD55, 8GB DDR3, Palit GTX 670, 24" Benq@1920*1080, X52 Pro, Win 7 64bit.

Sorry WarriorX I think I may deducted reputation by mistake...wtf?!! I will reimburse you with rep later! Thank your for the post, very helpful.

It's no problem pal, mistakes happen to all of us.....glad it helped you out.

• Like 1

Would slewing the TAD cursor over the red triangle and hooking it be the same thing as setting the coordinates into the CDU?

Essentially, yes. TMS/Up/Short then TMS/Up/Long on the datalink symbol will select this object and make it your SPI, guiding you to the target location. Inputting the navigational data into your CDU, or at least writing it down, is a backup. If for whatever reason the triangle fails to appear, you can use this nav data to create a waypoint that will similarly guide you to the target area.

I will give it my best shot.

JTAC will give you a UTM or Lat/Long coordinate during the 9 line, and if you have your SADL net settings correct, you will also get a data linked target identifier in your TAD (a red triangle).

The following is based on JTAC giving you a UTM coordinate.

Use a mission data card to get all the info on the UTM coordinate and the specific weapon, direction of attack, direction of egress and weapon requested.

To make the UTM coordinate provided by JTAC into a waypoint do the following:

Find a safe area to do a wide orbit. Set your autopilot to ALT and then make a left or right banking level turn and hold it. Then engage the autopilot and ensure it is holding the turn and you have no elevation conflicts around you.

The UTM coordinates will be in the form of 2 letters and 6 numbers.

Make sure your STEER PT switch on your AAP Panel is set to FLT PLAN.

Set your right MFCD to the CDU repeater function.

Hit OSB 10 to switch from the default L/L (Lat/Long) to UTM.

Hit OSB 9 to select the number presented next to the question mark as your new target waypoint.

Using the CDU or the UFC, enter the 2 letters, and 6 numbers without spaces in the scratchpad.

Hit OSB 16 to enter the UTM coordinate in to the computer.

Verify the number entered is correct.

Using the CDU or UFC keypad give your new waypoint a unique name eg: TGT A and hit OSB 7 to change the name.

Now turn your STEER PT dial on the AAP from FLT PLAN to MISSION.

Use the UFC STEER rocker or with the HUD as SOI, DMS UP to cycle thru the waypoints until you see the unique name you created for this target.

Find your target waypoint symbol on the TAD and then use the steering cue's on the HUD to prosecute your attack.

Warrior X,

Thanks. Very straightforward and easy to do. When the SADL fails this helps a lot. Also, it add up a notch to realism. IIRC A-10 pilots used to write target remarks with marker pens on the canopy.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

I added one small item in my O.P. that shows how to bring the CDU back to the Waypoint Page in case you went exploring in the CDU!

The addition is in italics.

Edited by WarriorX

This really points out how confusing the manual can be when navigating (pun intended) through the CDU section and how essential this community is. Reps all around, bartender!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

257th Fighting Falcons/First VFW-25th Virtual Fighter Squadron

Specs: Win7 HP 64 bit, i7-960 @ 3.2GHz, 12GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz, Intel-based Alienware mobo, 256GB Samsung SSD, WD 1.0TB HD, Samsung LCD monitor @ 1920x1200, TM Warthog, SIMPED vario F-16 rudders w/brakes, R.A.T. 7 mouse, 2xMimo 7" LCDs, 2xTM Cougar MFDs, and TrackIR4 w/Pro Clip. Wife who tolerates it. Cat who thinks she can interrupt at ANY time. :doh:

I've been trying to avoid CDU use myself.

No... heheh.. the CDU, at least to me, is probably the most important and useful piece of hardware in the jet next to the lightning pod.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Here's something I wrote in early beta and am not sure if it works in the release because I haven't spent any time with it yet.

Give it a try and let me know!

JTAC/FAC Interaction – To Input Tasking Information to Create a New Steerpoint

1. On TAD set MGRS(OSB9)

2. Set the AAP PAGE dial to WAYPT or on UFC FUNCT WP

3. On CDU page of MFCD go to new WPT page with OBS18 or select “new waypont”

4. Set “UTM” entry with OSB10

5. Name WPT with UFC eg: TGT1

6. Select radio mic (VHF AM) to see JTAC frequency

7. Set JTAC frequency on VHF 1 and set mode to AM

8. Enter MGRS code to CDU via UFC eg: GG319392

9. Set as new WPT with OSB16

10. Enter target elevation with OSB18

11. FUNCT MSN on UFC

12. Cycle waypoints via rocker on UFC or with HUD as SOI use DMS short up/down

13. Slave TGP to new waypoint and lock target then set as SPI

This really points out how confusing the manual can be when navigating (pun intended) through the CDU section and how essential this community is. Reps all around, bartender!

Absolutely. Trying to work out how to use the CDU from the manual is very difficult indeed. It pretty much tells you what it can do but not how to piece it together. What is really needed is something written in the way the Quickstart manual is, but for the different pieces of equipment like the CDU. :book: For example, when talking to JTAC or if you're in a mission and this happens, then press this, this, then this etc...

Once we know the basics we can go off and experiment with the other features. If something's too damn hard to figure out, people get miffed/bored/put off:

I've been trying to avoid CDU use myself. There's just so many pages and functions to remember. Would slewing the TAD cursor over the red triangle and hooking it be the same thing as setting the coordinates into the CDU?

I was frequently not getting the red triangle so no longer want to rely on it. Strangely it was appearing after 5 mins or so. But now, I just pop the coords in and off I go. They need a section in the forum just for useful posts like this to get them all into one place, like a wiki type thing.

______________________________________________________________________________________

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.4 Ghz | 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel | Ati HD4850 XFX | 22" Samsung TFT & NEC 17" touchscreen

OT, but I've never understood why they send the data after all the talking. Wouldn't it make more sense to send the datapoint and then the voice, so you can verify the data received was correct (and fix it if it wasn't), as well as start getting your eyes on the target while they talk you through the target and threats etc?

I just created JTAC UTM Coordinate Entry Tutorial based on post #4 in this thread.

It is created in Powerpoint, and provided as a PDF file.

The document can be found in Post#4 as an attachment. I have also amended my Signature with a hyperlink to the post.

Please, as always, let me know if you see anything that you want changed or revised.

They need a section in the forum just for useful posts like this to get them all into one place, like a wiki type thing.

You mean like the Wiki? The one at the top of the forum page to the right of the DCS Logo? :music_whistling:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You mean like the Wiki? The one at the top of the forum page to the right of the DCS Logo? :music_whistling:

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Yeah, silly me, I did spot that a little after posting but its lacking in DCS A10 stuff. I'd start populating it if I wasn't such a noob - :helpsmilie:

Gah!

Please read.

I've been trying to avoid CDU use myself.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm