An extended Warthog is worth a thousand words

Hello guys,

A few days ago I posted a message in the K-4 forum describing my inability to hold the aircraft level with 1.4 ata and full nose down trim.

I later discovered the trim "problem" was actually my problem, because the aircraft was simply not designed to be operated at max power and still have enough nose down trim. I set it down to cruise @1.35 ata and trim was plenty.

However, my real problem was the need of having to hold the Warthog stick deflected to the front-left at speeds over 450km/h.

Since I had to use a curve of about 30 in the X and Y axis to compensate for the high sensitivity and lack of gradient tension in the Warthog as well as for the new simulated central control stiffness added by Yo-Yo which further numbed the controllers at their central position, I got pretty miserable while flying this particular aircraft. (Now, after flying with the extension, I like this added control stiffness simulation very much :thumbup:)

A lot of people chipped in the discussion and some gave quite valuable advice in the sense that I could be using the controllers in a less than adequate form, which, for the Warthog, translates into "flying with it sitting at your desk and without an extension".

Since purchasing one would not be possible for their high cost, I got some pretty interesting ideas and assistance from ManOWar, ElGringo, Echo38 and then decided to build it myself.

It worked pretty good. I built a 16.5cm extension and also constructed a little stand out of plywood for the joystick.

All in all I spent very little money, had a lot of fun building the extension and the stand and now everything works the very way it should've always had.

I am still getting used to the "new" stick, but the WWII fighters are immensely easier to control.

I am absolutely sure I should have build this mod 2 years ago when I bought the stick.

Now I do agree that any form of extension is pretty much mandatory for the Warthog.

Thanks for everyone that helped. :smartass: :thumbup: :pilotfly:

Yk6k6I2.jpg

mdbMYjB.jpg

Glad you made it mate!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You'll get used soon to use all your arm moving the stick instead of your wrist, like in real aircraft. Smoothness of the Warthog is quite better, try take-offs and landings, you'll see the difference :smilewink:.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Glad you made it mate!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You'll get used soon to use all your arm moving the stick instead of your wrist, like in real aircraft. Smoothness of the Warthog is quite better, try take-offs and landings, you'll see the difference smilewink.gif.

S!

This is the very first thing I noticed. It actually looks like you are flying an aircraft and not playing a video game. Flying the WWII birds now is completely different. The UH1, Black Shark and Mi8 are also amazingly better to the point that the Ka-50 even seems a little "arcadie" when compared to the way it was before with the joystick on the table.

The Warthog is definitely a joystick that was made to be used with and extension. You were right!!! :thumbup:

Do you ever find that the desk gets in the way?

I positioned the stick so that at its maximum forward deflection it would clear the table edge by about 2cm. Therefore, it doesn't get in the way at all and I can enjoy the full deflection of the stick.

If you have a Warthog, please build your extension. It's not very hard at all and the difference is astronomical!!! :thumbup:

It's good to hear that you are satisfied with the result of your modification and to feel that positive vibe of yours! I am considering to extend my Warthog for few years now, but I had problem finding the extension cable connectors (i think it's 5 midi din if I remember correctly). How did you solve that problem? Have you modified PS2 cables or what? Also, I wasn't sure which size of the extension would be the best one. Now that I hear that your size (16.5 cm) works well for you, I am considering doing that also.

I would like to do it mostly because of the Mi-8, but I think that it would help flying all of the modules. The only problem is that I will have very little time for flying in the upcoming period.

As long as the net result is a solid controller, now the fun begins.

Holding a jet in a tight turn just within stall.... nice. like an F1 car taking a smooth corner... smoother but faster!

Bringing a chopper to a standstill hover within seconds... sublime.

Enjoy dok_rp you deserve it.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

cant say enough anout extensions, night and day.

specially for WWII, Helos and formation flying.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I mean really 18"!

It is just rude in my book!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

must be nice though.

It's good to hear that you are satisfied with the result of your modification and to feel that positive vibe of yours! I am considering to extend my Warthog for few years now, but I had problem finding the extension cable connectors (i think it's 5 midi din if I remember correctly). How did you solve that problem? Have you modified PS2 cables or what? Also, I wasn't sure which size of the extension would be the best one. Now that I hear that your size (16.5 cm) works well for you, I am considering doing that also.

I would like to do it mostly because of the Mi-8, but I think that it would help flying all of the modules. The only problem is that I will have very little time for flying in the upcoming period.

I can't stress enough how much different the Warthog behaves when extended. You will love it. The WWII birds and the helicopters are a marvel to fly.

If you want to build the little extension cable yourself, here's what you should do:

XXFkrf2.jpg

It took me about 30 minutes to build my cable and I got it right the first time. I have absolutely no electronics skills nor any advanced knowledge of electricity. Therefore, it's very much doable.

After splitting the cable, I reconnected the little wires from the two halves using black insulating tape. You can also solder them if you know how to.

I decided to start with 16.5 cm and I am very happy with it. I might try building a little bit longer one after I get used to this one. Maybe 20 or 25cm.

If you decide to do it, you will love it. :thumbup:

18" here could not fly without it now smile.gif

WOW. 18 inches? Did you also install the spring mod to compensate for the lack of return-to-center force or you got used to flying it like that?

I am also interested in building a longer one after I get used to the shorter one.

Thanks for any information. :thumbup:

As long as the net result is a solid controller, now the fun begins.

Holding a jet in a tight turn just within stall.... nice. like an F1 car taking a smooth corner... smoother but faster!

Bringing a chopper to a standstill hover within seconds... sublime.

Enjoy dok_rp you deserve it.

Thanks Rogue Trooper. It was very fun building the extension and the little stand.

cant say enough anout extensions, night and day.

specially for WWII, Helos and formation flying.

Absolutely agree with you. It's shockingly different. :pilotfly:

+1 for the extension. using a 120mm, loving it.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks dok_rp, I have seen this modification before and I know how to solder ;)

But if I go for more than some 16cm in length, I think that my chair will get in the way.

Now I have to do this when I return home from vacation. :thumbup:

Because these PS2 (keyboard extension cable) are ~6 foots long, need be shortened to fit inside the extension tube.

For 6' this maybe avoid this - cut out the green leg (is for mouse).

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyboard-Splitter-Adapter-KYC1MF/dp/B000067SLZ/ref=pd_sim_147_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RYM0A14QEBFSGDQFCWN

Edited by Sokol1_br

Because these PS2 (keyboard extension cable) are ~6 foots long, need be shortened to fit inside the extension tube.

For 6' this maybe avoid this - cut out the green leg (is for mouse).

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Keyboard-Splitter-Adapter-KYC1MF/dp/B000067SLZ/ref=pd_sim_147_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RYM0A14QEBFSGDQFCWN

This is unlikely to function due to the way the splitter is wired:

ps2splitcond.jpg

The pins labeled mouse go to one connector, the pins labeled keyboard go to the other connector (5V and GND go to both). However, both connectors will then look like this:

1329677183.or.24457.png

So two of the pins won't have a connection.

• ED Team
I mean really 18"!

It is just rude in my book!

;)

WOW. 18 inches? Did you also install the spring mod to compensate for the lack of return-to-center force or you got used to flying it like that?

attachment.php?attachmentid=118585&d=1434386163

Bungee's are my friend, used this for nearly two years with no issues, stick centres when I let go, and creates a little more resistance.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=118585&d=1434386163

Bungee's are my friend, used this for nearly two years with no issues, stick centres when I let go, and creates a little more resistance.

Cool setup... Are these things clamping rubbers? Would you be so kind to make a shot without the cover?

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cool setup... Are these things clamping rubbers? Would you be so kind to make a shot without the cover?

I would also like to see how the bungee cords are attached to the joystick pedestal. :smartass:

• ED Team

Cut my cable tie just for you ;)

very simple jubilee clip, with some of my sons spare mechano bent into place to keep the bungees from slipping.

picture is a little blurry but you will get the idea.

the bungees are just stretched to the right tension and screwed into place

Edited by BIGNEWY
  • Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Thanks Newy, I thought you used a secret setup where 4 rubbers are holding your stick from all directions :)

I would be happy to get an extension but I'm still not sure which seize. I think my two childs (2years and 2 months) would kill a ground installation shortly.

So maybe a 120mm extension for the beginning with some kind of socket between my combat rudder peddals would do it...

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

I would go for the one that suits your setup and life style, my children are a little older now and know if they go any where near my setup unsupervised they are in trouble lol

Any extension will be an improvement short or long