Improved G-tolerance

Torri

Hi,

I know this has been requested before, but I want to put some emphasis on it. Currently, one experiences G-LOC at 7.8Gs.

I know that there are plans to revamp the whole system, but just a temporary fix to raise it from 7.8 to 8.8Gs would do so much.

Currently the rate fighters (F-16, MiG-29) are pretty unusable in a dogfight because you if you try to outrate someone, you just G-LOC.

Looking at the best dogfighters in DCS, wether it be on the servers or the Twitch events, they all use either F-18 or M2000C almost exclusively.

Hi,

I know this has been requested before, but I want to put some emphasis on it. Currently, one experiences G-LOC at 7.8Gs.

I know that there are plans to revamp the whole system, but just a temporary fix to raise it from 7.8 to 8.8Gs would do so much.

Currently the rate fighters (F-16, MiG-29) are pretty unusable in a dogfight because you if you try to outrate someone, you just G-LOC.

Looking at the best dogfighters in DCS, wether it be on the servers or the Twitch events, they all use either F-18 or M2000C almost exclusively.

You've likely already tried this so forgive me if so, but are you doing a G-warmup? DCS models the g-warmup's effect on the pilots tolerance.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

G-warmups helps with sudden G-onset, but the limit is still at 7.8Gs.

Perfect for the F-18 and Su-27, but too low for F-16 or MiG-29.

I'm not asking for something unrealistic, and I understand that G-LOC is a real, dangerous thing.

I believe Jello from FPP said that the G-tolerance in DCS reminded him of having an "off day."

So I'm not stating that it's impossible to have such G-tolerance, but it's probably uncommon amongst fighter pilots that train for this.

It should be the other way around.. The pilot should suffer from fatigue.. with a period of recovery after pulling high Gs. He also should move slower, especially in WWII fighters. Not warm-up.. warm-up??? jeezzz..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

For how long in your opinion human can stay conscious at 8.8 Gs?

Longer than you think.

https://youtu.be/_0nbRYIBVDQ

Hardware: MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WiFi MB, i9-13900K @ 4.3GHz, 64GB DDR5, NVidia RTX 4090 24GB DDR6X, 2TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, 1TB SSD 850 EVO, Windows 11 Pro, HP Reverb G2, Tobii Head Tracker, TM Warthog HOTAS, TM F/A-18C Grip, TM Viper TQS Mission Pack, CH Pro Pedals.

Modules: A-10A, A-10C, F/A-18C, P-51D-50, Fw 190 A-8, Fw 190 D-9, Bf 109 K-4, Spitfire IX, Mosquito FB VI, AJS-37 Viggen, M-2000C, F-86F, F-15C, F-15E, F-5E, F-14A/B, L-39C, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, MiG-29, SU-27, SU-33, AV-8B, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H, SA342, A-4E-C, NTTR, PG, CA, Normandy, Channel, Syria, Marianas, South Atlantic, WWII Assets Pack

Well if you listen to podcast and some of the interviews from the Grim Reapers, couple of real jet pilots metioned that the "DCS Pilot" is kind a pussy weak, the real pilots tend to blackout closer to 9g

Bunch of sissies, I personally black out at around 16G!

More seriously, I have sincere doubts that there is a legitimate claim of that. If getting to the point in flying, I would assume having an eye on the ol' G-meter is probably not a priority, and for the centrifuge runs it is no secret that there are plenty of tricks to optimise G-loc performance for those, which mostly require you to have a fixed appointment on when you are supposed to do that.

When the F-16-configured seat is used, the training profiles set 1G higher than they are when the conventional fighter aircraft seat (13° seatback angle, normal rudder pedal position) is used. The higher-G profiles are used with the F-16 seat because pilots report a 1- to 2-G subjective improvement in G tolerance in the F-16 as compared to other fighter aircraft, and because data obtained during centrifuge training when both types of seat were used revealed at least 0.8 G greater tolerances in the F- 16-configured seat than in the conventional seat (i).

It's from the link gave before by MROK73 ( https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a196171.pdf )

p4 of the pdf and p15 of the document

About F16 maybe I'm wrong but in my remember ED talked about it when they do the advertise for the F16, I imagine they planify to tweak the F16 G model

It seems all the turn rate fighters are limited by the actual G model

PS: personnally i use F18 a turn radius fighter)

Best regards

Yes they plan to adjust the G-model. Wags called it "a high priority".

Could you please send it via google disc? Can't open it

Odd, it works just fine for me...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I think that a more advanced G-modelling system would be nice, like the other WW2 sim just implemented.

But IMO there should be a stop-gap solution of just increasing the G-level at which one starts to experience blackout.

Then later down the line, we might see a more advanced system with fatigue, and difference in sustained and sudden onset of Gs.

Longer than you think.

Not necessarily. There are some people more resistant to G-forces, just like there are the ones who are less resistant. Here's the picture with the results from experiments on 1434 pilots, all were without G-suits and weren't using Anti-G Strain Maneuver

mI5_3o_rdHo.jpg.ac25e724d860feac497c4d61e776b557.jpg

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a296761.pdf

You also gotta be careful not to make the piolt too good, like keep in mind pilots can't do 9G say for 40 seconds then after a very short recovery do it again for the same amount of time. Every time you go to these high load factors it should start to significantly decrease your ability to hold G. Negative g's in particular should severally impact your ability to hold high G. That other prop sim does a REALLY good job of this and I recommend going and reading their post on the subject. While very modern G suits, a better understanding of the phenomenon, and the Gstrain maneuver have improved a pilots ability to hold high G for longer things such as very rapid G onset and long drawn out fights should still impact the performance.

Not necessarily. There are some people more resistant to G-forces, just like there are the ones who are less resistant. Here's the picture with the results from experiments on 1434 pilots, all were without G-suits and weren't using Anti-G Strain Maneuver

Well, yes, but they're not doing anti-G straining. So of course they're going to have a low tolerance. I would hope that our DCS pilot is doing anti-g strain maneuvers :music_whistling:

Bunch of sissies, I personally black out at around 16G!

More seriously, I have sincere doubts that there is a legitimate claim of that. If getting to the point in flying, I would assume having an eye on the ol' G-meter is probably not a priority, and for the centrifuge runs it is no secret that there are plenty of tricks to optimise G-loc performance for those, which mostly require you to have a fixed appointment on when you are supposed to do that.

Me, Id never black out no matter what G. Sometimes I feel quite a bit nauseous with the damn Oculus tho. :megalol:

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Well, yes, but they're not doing anti-G straining. So of course they're going to have a low tolerance. I would hope that our DCS pilot is doing anti-g strain maneuvers :music_whistling:

The reason I posted that picture was to show that different pilots have different tolerance, not to point that those results should be implemented into DCS. I just wanted to say that the guy in the vid could be a more resilient one. There're plenty of other videos where pilots loose consciousness at 8 Gs, some at 6-7

I agree with the fact that different pilots have different tolerances.

However, a Viper pilot should be able to pull 9Gs for quite some time, they're required to.

Even the current g-limit lacks difference in tolerance that you mention, it has a "hard deck" of 7.8Gs (approx.)