F-14 and computer performance

PJG

Slightly more, but unclear until final optimization done. Works fine in VR currently despite optimization pass not done :)

How about in comparison to the Viggen? That runs absolutely butter smooth.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Slightly more, but unclear until final optimization done. Works fine in VR currently despite optimization pass not done :)

What are your VR frame-rates that make for a "fine" experience (i.e. what settings give what performance)?

I'll use it only on VR and hope that the perf will be good too.

Specs: Win10 64bits Pro, Intel i9-9900K | 32Go | RTX 2080 Ti | M.2 SSD 850go x2

Hardware: HTC Vive Pro + X56

Maps : Normandy + Assets | Gulf | Nevada

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C

Hopefully Nick or team can answer this, but specifically a VR question on readability of the RIO's displays.

Most displays in DCS are clearly readable, less so than without, but still not an issue. But there are some examples of certain modules (not through fault of their own) have readability issues on some of the smaller details.

The F-14 RIO displays, especially the raw radar data, appear to be vulnerable to this.

However, I would have thought the same about Viggen, as a comparison, it's radar return is somewhat small but by friends and I are OK with the visuals on it in VR.

How does the F-14 handle VR for these details?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

No it's a sizing constraint with real dimensions, not a performance question. Since he said he's tried in VR then it shouldn't be too early to know how the lines look on the TID, Neil, because those dimensions wont change, it's a fixed cockpit dimension and the graphics have been available since last year.

I'd say Cobra's comment regarding optimization covers all these questions - too early to know perhaps?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

We target 45fps on a 1080 as "acceptable" VR performance.

EDIT: It's not as smooth as the Viggen currently. That is the target. I think we'll get there.

Sounds very good. A cat that runs as smooth as the viggen might get some (still not very smooth) hornets grounded...

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

We target 45fps on a 1080 as "acceptable" VR performance.

EDIT: It's not as smooth as the Viggen currently. That is the target. I think we'll get there.

I am not planning to use VR the next time but have to go with a monitor at 1080p resolution. Will i be good in the future with a 1070Ti ?

cheers

SSD is obligatory. I'm goint to use a AMD 2600X and 16GB Ram for now but if necessary, i stock up.

I'm just not willing to spend 800€ for a graphics card

Is SSD that important? I went to buy one in a shop and they told me it wasn't needed except for faster loading of a game?

DCS has always run good on my computer. My problem is the load times. They're to be expected, but I feel like I spend a lot of time on DCS just waiting for screens to load up or a mission to begin.

Is DCS loaded on an SSD?

Buzz