How to move the HUD contents up and down?

Blooze

In an effort to reproduce an accurate cockpit view in the A-10C I move my seat up so I am viewing the pit to a higher angle than default and to a position I believe to be what a real pilot would see. However, the HUD text also moves to a position that is too high. What I want to do is modify a lua number to lower the text in the HUD so it is properly aligned after moving my seat up but I haven't been able to find the lua file to accomplish this. Anyone know how to do this?

Edited by Blooze

In an effort to reproduce an accurate cockpit view in the A-10C I move my seat up so I am viewing the pit to a higher angle than default and what I believe to be what a real pilot would see. However, the HUD text also moves to a position that is too high. What I want to do is modify a lua number to lower the text in the HUD so it is properly aligned after moveing my seat up but I haven't been able to find the lua file to accomplish this. Anyone know how to do this?

The thing is, the head of the virtual pilot is already in the optimal height ... because otherwise you could not see the HUD contents ... :o)

You can not simply shift the HUD content - that would affect also the aiming as the pipper would be shifted as well and not pointing at the correct point anymore.

But you could perhaps experiment a bit with the camera controls. Not only adjust the height of your eyes, but also try to look down a bit - or something like that. But I doubt that the results will be fully satisfying for what you are aiming for.

• Thanks 1

Don't forget the A-10 has a (very, relatively speaking) small HUD when you compare it to for example an F-15E (48" flatscreen size :shocking: ).

So you might have to move around in flight to see all the HUD indication. Would hazard a bet it's the same in real life.

• Like 1

Here is a photo of a real A10 simulator used by the Air Force.

Somehow I doubt that they installed a height adjustable seat in that simulator ...

How much higher do you want your eyes to be? When I am sitting in my A-10C, I can just barely not see the HUD lens. If I raise my head half an inch or so, I can see it. So, basically I look in fact a bit downward, at a slant roughly the same as the angle of the ... what is the word for that ... "the upper cover of the front panel that extends from the UFC to the canopy glass".

The DCS seat position and cockpit view is correct, if you want to see, and use, the HUD then you need to motor the seat to put yourself in that position. If you want a higher vantage point then you motor the seat up, but you won't be able to see the HUD symbology in full. Ths is true of all aircraft.

In short, the "accurate" view is what DCS has already. If you want to change anything it may be possible by modding the files, but it won't be an accurate representation of reality.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

try this...

R-CNTL + R-SHIFT numpad2 (for down)

and

R-CNTL + R-SHIFT numpad8 (for up)

and then to "zoom in" and "zoom out" (ie.. move your head closer/further)

R-CNTL + R-SHIFT numpad*

R-CNTL + R-SHIFT numpad/

is that what you're looking for? tell me if that works for you

[[ i also notice that as i tilt my head up, the text in the HUD moves to follow (ie.. moves up) - when i look down, txt moves down ---- "maybe" moving your head/view so the text is where you want it and then "centering" the default center view to that alignment could help --- ?? ]]

Edited by SDsc0rch

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The DCS seat position and cockpit view is correct, if you want to see, and use, the HUD then you need to motor the seat to put yourself in that position. If you want a higher vantage point then you motor the seat up, but you won't be able to see the HUD symbology in full. Ths is true of all aircraft.

In short, the "accurate" view is what DCS has already. If you want to change anything it may be possible by modding the files, but it won't be an accurate representation of reality.

Thanks for the suggestion but that seems to do the same thing as moving the seat up and down. The HUD issue remains the same.

Re-read Eddie's post.

So he's been given the warning.. what's the path? It's simple as that rather than arguing and belittling people.

Side note: I am happy where it's at, but I do notice a lot of this back and forth for simple stuff on the forums. If he wants to try it and find out the hard way, let him find it out.

So he's been given the warning.. what's the path? It's simple as that rather than arguing and belittling people.

Side note: I am happy where it's at, but I do notice a lot of this back and forth for simple stuff on the forums. If he wants to try it and find out the hard way, let him find it out.

"I have lost my car keys"

"Here in the kitchen?"

"No, in the garage ..."

"... and why do you look for your keys in the kitchen!?"

"Because here is more light!!"

... logic ... but who cares?

Oh well, OP, you might start experimenting with the files in ...\DCS\Mods\aircrafts\A-10C\Cockpit\Scripts\HUD\Indicator, perhaps starting with HUD_definitions.lua or HUD_base_page.lua

But, while this is only my personal theory and totally untested, I think you will need to adjust a bit more than just a single line "HUD_Baseline" (I made that up, don't search for it ...). Have fun! And tell us later how much it improved your accuracy with CCIP and guns! :o)

• Like 1

The DCS view is not entirely correct. I mean it is. But it's not the on the pilots normal seating position. The default View in DCS actually has the pilot leaning forward quite a bit. I belive this is for the convinance of beeing able to see all of the HUD. If you move the head back to a estimated position of where the pilot's head would actually be(not allmost over the knees like it is) , you can't see all of the HUD without having to move the virtual head around. This can be tiring and awkward even with trackIR. Yes I did try it, and went back to ED's default view. But The whole cockpit design makes a lot more sence and is easier to use when the head is back where it should. Try it, it will give you a new perspective.

Edited by lxsapper

Rather than offering your personal opinions, theories and a general area to look for the files rather than a specific file, none of which addresses the OP, how hard would it be to simply refrain from posting or, if the temptation to respond to every thread was just too irresistible, you may actually consider saying....I DON'T KNOW.

Yeah, f you, too.

Rather than offering your personal opinions, theories and a general area to look for the files rather than a specific file, none of which addresses the OP, how hard would it be to simply refrain from posting or, if the temptation to respond to every thread was just too irresistible, you may actually consider saying....I DON'T KNOW.

Did you actually read his post?

If you have.. You might have read he gave you a place where you could start looking.

Don't you find it interesting why this knowledge isn't "public knowledge"?

Listen Blooze, I don't even know Why I'm bothering to reply to you. Considering the arrogance you lashed out at everyone who did. But This is really quite simple. The HUD is a colimated and calibrated image to sit in the cockpit I'n the place you see it. It's not by acident that aiming simbology and FPM are on target. You can't just move that image up or down, and expect it to be hitting the same spot. Take a gun with a colimated sight atached, if you leave the gun fixed and move your head about. The aiming reticule will not move. But move the gun one inch up, and you will be hiting the target one inch up. Now if you were to move only the sight upwards but not the gun. The zeroing would be all wrong for that distance. In the A-10 it's wxactly the same. The Image beeing projected on the HUD was designed to work with the aircrafts avionics exactly where it is.

In DCS I supose it would be possible if you could actually edit the HUD files where it determines what gets drawn where and all that complicated matematical shit. It wouldn't be a case of just moving the drawing on the hud glass upwards. All the aiming symbology would have to be recalculated for the new "sight" position.

• Like 2

What a few rather vocal people seem to fail to grasp is that the eye point in a modern cockpit is not really more arbitrary than, say, the position of the canopy railings.

The eye box, in which you are to have your eyes when using the HUD, is in the drawings. It is typically not an overly large box. Considering the primary customer for the DCS product, I think it is safe to assume that ED had access to those drawings for making the 3D model and for placing the virtual eye point in the cockpit.

Hence, it is not exactly a point open for debate. It is what it is. You may want to modify it to suit your taste, but you should do so well aware that you are moving away from reality and will have to suffer the consequences.

The eye box in the A-10C is where your eyes end up when you are leaning into the sight for taking a shot. The HUD is not your primary reference for flying around, but more akin to a gun sight. If you lean your head back, which you may do for cruise or for scanning for targets off the nose, you are moving out of the eye box and will probably not see all of the symbology.

Yes, the cockpit will feel cramped with your virtual head properly positioned for HUD use. In part due to the above, but probably more due to the narrov field of view offered by our hardware. Increasing the FOV helps (but, unfortunately, comes with a stiff visibility penalty at distance in DCS), as does a widescreen monitor. Personally, I have the longitudinal head position on the slider of the Warthog while using TrackIR Z for zoom, with a slightly wider than default FOV. Works quite well, even though it doesn't help the poor visibility of other aircrafts (which is another debate going on at lenght in these fora).

Finally: If you want people to spend their time helping you, it is generally good style to spend the time outlining what you have done and what you have looked at in your initial request for help. That way, people do not have to waste their time walking you through what you have already tried. If you come across as slightly less knowledgeable in your initial post, it should come as no surprise if you get very basic answers pointing you to the first files you should look at. If you then choose to chew the head off those giving you those pointers, I think you should not be surprised to find the community rather less helpful in the future.

• Like 2

What a few rather vocal people seem to fail to grasp is that the eye point in a modern cockpit is not really more arbitrary than, say, the position of the canopy railings.

The eye box, in which you are to have your eyes when using the HUD, is in the drawings. It is typically not an overly large box. Considering the primary customer for the DCS product, I think it is safe to assume that ED had access to those drawings for making the 3D model and for placing the virtual eye point in the cockpit.

Hence, it is not exactly a point open for debate. It is what it is. You may want to modify it to suit your taste, but you should do so well aware that you are moving away from reality and will have to suffer the consequences.

The eye box in the A-10C is where your eyes end up when you are leaning into the sight for taking a shot. The HUD is not your primary reference for flying around, but more akin to a gun sight. If you lean your head back, which you may do for cruise or for scanning for targets off the nose, you are moving out of the eye box and will probably not see all of the symbology.

Yes, the cockpit will feel cramped with your virtual head properly positioned for HUD use. In part due to the above, but probably more due to the narrov field of view offered by our hardware. Increasing the FOV helps (but, unfortunately, comes with a stiff visibility penalty at distance in DCS), as does a widescreen monitor. Personally, I have the longitudinal head position on the slider of the Warthog while using TrackIR Z for zoom, with a slightly wider than default FOV. Works quite well, even though it doesn't help the poor visibility of other aircrafts (which is another debate going on at lenght in these fora).

Finally: If you want people to spend their time helping you, it is generally good style to spend the time outlining what you have done and what you have looked at in your initial request for help. That way, people do not have to waste their time walking you through what you have already tried. If you come across as slightly less knowledgeable in your initial post, it should come as no surprise if you get very basic answers pointing you to the first files you should look at. If you then choose to chew the head off those giving you those pointers, I think you should not be surprised to find the community rather less helpful in the future.

This. Oh so much. Wanted to write a similar story about what you call the "eye box", but didn't bother.

This. Oh so much. Wanted to write a similar story about what you call the "eye box", but didn't bother.

Yeah, well worth the negrep from Blooze* to set that straight. :thumbup:

*) Depending on source, it can be quite reassuring to have ones intellect questioned. :D

• 7 years later...
On 9/6/2014 at 12:08 PM, SDsc0rch said:

try this...

R-CNTL + R-SHIFT numpad2 (for down)

and

R-CNTL + R-SHIFT numpad8 (for up)

and then to "zoom in" and "zoom out" (ie.. move your head closer/further)

R-CNTL + R-SHIFT numpad*

R-CNTL + R-SHIFT numpad/

is that what you're looking for? tell me if that works for you

[[ i also notice that as i tilt my head up, the text in the HUD moves to follow (ie.. moves up) - when i look down, txt moves down ---- "maybe" moving your head/view so the text is where you want it and then "centering" the default center view to that alignment could help --- ?? ]]

This right here 100%.. after getting it fine tuned use r-alt+ numberpad 0 to save that new position as the default viewpoint. Just found out about the last night.  On all aircraft, not just a-10. This is the way!

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones