No More Steam Keys Usable on e-store DCS?

Mars Exulte

So, before you answer really consider what I say, and bear in mind I'm repeating sentiments that are not isolated.

I love DCS and ED... BUT

This is really becoming a special kind of absurd.

We ALREADY have two separate branches of the game (1.5 & 2.0), and I'm cool with that (as are most) because there is a very good reason for it.

I understand some of the complications that arise from Steam vs standalone, but you now literally have two separate and incompatible lines of the game. A customer can buy your products in more than one place and them NOT work together.

You really, REALLY need to consider going with one or the other, because this is more than a little ridiculous as requiring multiple installs of the same game because you bought the same products for it from multiple locations is crazy.

That is going to inevitably cause more confusion and a higher entry barrier then ALREADY exists around here.

And yes, I know it doesn't affect keys already bought. That's completely irrelevant.

-edit

As an example if I buy a timecard for World of Warcraft *shudder* and no I would never do such a thing... BUT if I did, it would work from wherever I bought it, with whatever installer I was using. As is the case for virtually every game on the planet.

This is a bizarre and ill advised development altogether.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No More Steam Keys Usable on e-store DCS?

So, does this weekend's news mean that we will not be able to use Steam keys at all in the future on the DCS version bought on ED's e-store?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• ED Team

all future keys, yes

Dear all,

please note that the DCS: M-2000C and all future DCS World DLC releases on Steam, will now use Steam Keys instead of Starforce keys. As such, these purchases cannot be activated on the DCS World e-Shop version. Previous purchases will not be affected.

Please be advised that this only affects NEW modules on STEAM. Pre Mirage 2000C modules will be issued with StarForce serials.

Thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So essentially, if one were to buy a newly released module off of Steam and had everything else bought off of the DCS shop, you'd essentially need two installations of the game? There would be no way to combine them into one client?

It's actually quite fortunate we are not forced to use Steam and have the choice between this platform and a stand-alone installation. I rather see this as an advantage for customers, what don't you like about this?

The only drawback I see is for 3rd party developers (aircraft, campaigns and terrains) who have to be able to test different platforms.

In any case, I doubt it was ED's decision.

• Like 1

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

It seems to be a very low key announcement on this very important change in policy.

What is the reasoning behind potentially requiring yet another installation of DCS?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It's actually quite fortunate we are not forced to use Steam and have the choice between this platform and a stand-alone installation. I rather see this as an advantage for customers, what don't you like about this?

+1

just go for the dcs standalone ...

The 'old modules still work' is a good one. *clapping*

I can see the posts now 'I bought module A and it worked fine... then I bought this other module and it refuses to function.... I have to have TWO installs now, wtf???'

I mean ffs, this is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I don't mean to be harsh, but really? Did anybody ever actually think this through? This is a great way to harm your own reputation after a few instances of THAT.

You just have to stick to one vendor ... it is not that we are being "forced" to have both versions.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

They just need to dump starforce, use steam, push everything, even beta releases to steam - more users in the game, more customers, limited key activations a thing of the past, more community support, servers that run in a virtual environment, win win win

Edited by Drexx

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

Whaaa? Did you actually read what I said?

It is possible for a customer to BUY THE SAME PRODUCT in MORE THAN ONE LOCATION and them NOT WORK.

Yes, it is a really big deal. When you add to it that this is NOT EVEN UNIFORMLY APPLIED it becomes even more ridiculous. And it's a FOOTNOTE in the patches!

It is not 'more options' it is 'you can very easily waste money on purchases that won't work'

99% of people who come into this new, if they are unfortunate enough to encounter this will simply refund or leave rather than maintain multiple installs because of piss poor marketing.

You can't put multiple Betas on Steam. It would mean no more early access. Which I would be fine with, as half the modules 'released' on Steam are clearly NOT finished.

We're on route to needing a manual explaining the purchasing process -_-

Big warning boxes when you install

'Are you REALLY REALLY sure you want to use THIS platform, because you're potentially screwing yourself! See this legal document for more info *link*'

Edited by zhukov032186

You guys are missing the point, IF you buy on steam you completely miss out on any early access plane or campaign, there is ZERO reason to choose steam at this point. I am just sorry for the newbies that buy modules on steam from now on, and find out they aren't compatible and they have to 2 run copy' of the installation.

I would LOVE for them to only use steam and not there archiac DRM solution that is starforce, seriously! (just push all the earlier release stuff to steam)

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

You can't put multiple Betas on Steam. It would mean no more early access. Which I would be fine with, as half the modules 'released' on Steam are clearly NOT finished.

I think you can have multiple betas on Steam for the same version. Recently, I can see various betas for rFactor 2 on Steam.

Steam might be limiting what ED can do in that regard.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yeah, just don't call it early access and Steam will be fine.

Bigger devs than ED release half baked shite on Steam daily, they just SAY it's 'ready for release'.

It would be nice to know why this happened.

Is it ED themselves being convinced that Starforce is haunting us or did Steam use their power and forced this, like "if you don't move away from SF we won't let you ( ED ) publish any more DCS modules via Steam because we have many complaints about how this is handled"

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

...or did Steam use their power and forced this, like "if you don't move away from SF we won't let you ( ED ) publish any more DCS modules via Steam because we have many complaints about how this is handled"

I would not be at all surprised if this is the case, whether for the reason posted or some other reason. Steam is in a powerful position.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't know why anyone would use the Steam version anyway.

Can't steam people connect to the same multiplayer servers anyway?

If so I see no big deal. People should leave the steam version while they can.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know why anyone would use the Steam version anyway.

There is much to be said for the way games on Steam work. A central source for automatic updates, patch notes, news, steam cloud, etc. I don't use it for DCS but I do have, literally, hundreds of games on Steam.