CASE 3 CV-1 Approach chart

Kola360

Hey Kola360, continuing great work...

I haven't compared every item to my "libraries" yet. Right off the bat though I noticed one item that I would probably verify with a pro: on-speed transition start. I think it might be a bit closer then 10 nm from the ship.

Yeah, theres alot of conflicting info on that. P-816 says landing checks should be done at 10 and gear should be down no later than 8.

Wags in his case 3 video put it down at 10 so i thought ill just put that.

Also i do think that approach tells you when to dìrty up so that he can keep intervals

Yeah, theres alot of conflicting info on that. P-816 says landing checks should be done at 10 and gear should be down no later than 8.

Wags in his case 3 video put it down at 10 so i thought ill just put that.

Also i do think that approach tells you when to dìrty up so that he can keep intervals

P-816 also says you should be at approach speed around 6nm, if I recall correctly.

Nice job once again Kola360:thumbup: Thank you...

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• ED Team

Good chart, but straight in from marshal to final approach bearing almost never happens. 15-30 offset is used almost all the time in the real world. In fact, one of our SMEs (active duty Super Hornet pilot), has never flown a direct in, always offset. Only aircraft declaring an emergency would straight in CASE III.

• Like 1

Good chart, but straight in from marshal to final approach bearing almost never happens. 15-30 offset is used almost all the time in the real world. In fact, one of our SMEs (active duty Super Hornet pilot), has never flown a direct in, always offset. Only aircraft declaring an emergency would straight in CASE III.

I would be interested in why the direct approach seems to be unusual. Do you know the reason for it?

Direct is mostly just used for an emergency approach, standard is offset to not conflict. As explained to me by a Hornet pilot.

I've read somewhere emergency radial for CV1 (jet/turboprop) was 150 deg relative to expected final bearing. That's old stuff:unsure:

Wags, can you confirm the on-speed transition with your source. The reason I asked is 10nm seems like a long way to be dragging butt at final approach AOA and 1200' ASL.

@Nealius yes, the P-816 states 6NM should be passed at 150knts. I think however that approach most likely tells you what to do in order for intervals to be correct.

@David OC thank you, it really means alot to me. :D

@Gripes323 Actually when you say it, i think it says that in the CV NATOPS.

@Wags Thank you for your input, when i find time i will most likely move the colored pattern into one of the grey 15 or 30 ones.

@Rlaxoxo lol thx, its not deployment though, its called basic military training.

• ED Team

One last note: you would only arc if you turn to the final bearing at 15 nm (12 nm DME arc). A lot of pilots will instead turn from the offset bearing to the final bearing at 20 nm, and intercept the final bearing at 12 nm.

• ED Team
I've read somewhere emergency radial for CV1 (jet/turboprop) was 150 deg relative to expected final bearing. That's old stuff:unsure:

Wags, can you confirm the on-speed transition with your source. The reason I asked is 10nm seems like a long way to be dragging butt at final approach AOA and 1200' ASL.

I dirtied up too early. Generally dirty up at 5-6 nm.

@Gripes323 sadly no, i was 2cm to tall for any pilot position. So i choose forward observer instead.

@Wags So would it be correct to say that approach choose when you dirty up unless nothing is said, then dirty up at 5-6NM?

One last note: you would only arc if you turn to the final bearing at 15 nm (12 nm DME arc). A lot of pilots will instead turn from the offset bearing to the final bearing at 20 nm, and intercept the final bearing at 12 nm.

They most likely follow this:

From CV NATOPS

Correcting to the Final Bearing

1. Jet or turboprop aircraft on the CV-1 approach will correct from the marshal radial to the final bearing at 20 miles in the following manner:

a. The pilot shall make a gradual correction when the final bearing is within 10° of the reciprocal of the marshal radial.

b. The pilot shall turn 30° when the final bearing is greater than 10° from the reciprocal of the marshal radial. If not established on the final bearing at 12 miles, the pilot shall fly the 12-mile arc until intercepting final bearing.

2. Aircraft on the CV-2 approach shall correct to the final bearing in the following manner:

a. If final bearing decreases, fly 90° of penetration turn and arc to the new final bearing.

b. If final bearing increases, fly the standard penetration turn continuing to intercept the new final bearing prior to the 10-mile DME fix.

I dirtied up too early. Generally dirty up at 5-6 nm.

@Wags So would it be correct to say that approach choose when you dirty up unless nothing is said, then dirty up at 5-6NM?

CV NATOPS for all approaches (no emergencies)

Jet and turboprop aircraft shall pass through the 6-mile DME fix at 1,200 feet altitude, 150 KIAS, in the landing configuration and commence slowing to final approach speed.

CNATRA

Landing checks will be initiated at 10 DME, and aircraft will reduce speed to cross 6 DME at 150 kts. Landing gear should be down no later than 8 DME. At 6 DME, aircraft will slow to final approach speed.

Totally cool. Great info here.

+1

Kola, the only fault I see is that approach are on buttons 15 and 17 (named A and B respectively). The reason being that you're talking to Marshal on button 16 so it's easy on the older radios to go one click left or right to get to the appropriate approach button.

As for the straight-in marshal vs 30 degrees off, it will vary by carrier. Some boats will generally put you on a 30 degree offset and some will put you on FB reciprocal. Keep in mind that the marshal radial can depend a lot on sea space and airspace in more restrictive areas such as the Arabian Gulf.

Additionally, generally you'll want to start slowing down at 10 miles and start to configure at 8 to be dirty and trimmed up on-speed at 6 miles. Approach will only tell you when to configure or hold the gear if they are trying to correct spacing issues.

Hopefully this helps out

Kola, the only fault I see is that approach are on buttons 15 and 17 (named A and B respectively). The reason being that you're talking to Marshal on button 16 so it's easy on the older radios to go one click left or right to get to the appropriate approach button.

As for the straight-in marshal vs 30 degrees off, it will vary by carrier. Some boats will generally put you on a 30 degree offset and some will put you on FB reciprocal. Keep in mind that the marshal radial can depend a lot on sea space and airspace in more restrictive areas such as the Arabian Gulf.

Additionally, generally you'll want to start slowing down at 10 miles and start to configure at 8 to be dirty and trimmed up on-speed at 6 miles. Approach will only tell you when to configure or hold the gear if they are trying to correct spacing issues.

Hopefully this helps out

Is there anywhere that shows the typical button assignments for COMMS?

Blue water ops means the carrier group is too far from shore for there to be a divert airfield. I'm guessing at the rest, but it might be the amount of fuel available from each tanker.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals