[REPORTED] Valve Index | Super Carrier | Intermittent Black Bars in one eye

Stal2k

Summary: I worked with BigNewy on initial troubleshooting steps to ensure this was worth the post. With the new SC module and using built-in missions for both the F-14 and F-18 this issue could be observed. It's easiest to see when first spawning on the deck, trapping or glancing down at the deck on initial. Large black bars that take up ~60% or more of the frame rendered to one eye that flash by pretty briefly if you are moving fast (initial) or can be there most of the time if you hold your head still (when first spawned in).

Issue: Intermittent black bars popping up in VR HMD when looking at or in the general direction of the SC island.

Troubleshooting steps: The usual, was directed by ED staff prior to posting this so please assume repair/clean/mod removal and all manner of general idiot-proofing was performed.

Other notes

• This appears to be related to the lighting, as a similar issue exists within the C-101 module and has for some time
  • Interestingly, upon first spawning into the F-14 mission (quals) with the briefing still up, you can look around without the bars. The instant the deck crew spawns after hitting fly they are present
  • From checking out a recently posted (IMHO related) thread about clouds/smoke etc in one eye there is a chance this is just impacting lighthouse based HMDs like the Vive and Index

Video link 1

Video Link 2

dcs log.zip

Edited by Stal2k
Including log

Same with a Hornet using the Reverb. Turning off MSAA seems to have stopped it.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

PROBLEMS WITH SUPER CARRIER AND VALVE INDEX BLACK FLASHING DISPLAY

Never had any issues with the Valve index and DCS previously.

When on the carrier in the DCS cold start mission I am getting flashes of black sometimes briefly and sometimes constant. MY system is no slouch as can be seen from below. Checked the frame rate and the DCS counter is showing a constant 30 frames whilst on the carrier.

Any other index users getting this problem ?

When I fly from the carrier then all returns to normal nice and smooth with no black flashing.

Flashing seems worse when looking towards the carriers tower.

What is weird is the view and movement of people on board are smooth but I get this black flashing some times rectangular and part of an eye and other times half an eye . Also flashing at different times in each eye and seems worst in the left eye.

I have put a small video in my drop box below

Any help much appreciated. Cant use the carrier at the moment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3e0wpgyvpnni88n/Valve%20index%20issue%20supercarrier%20.mp4?dl=0

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Never had any issues with the Valve index and DCS previously.

When on the carrier in the DCS cold start mission I am getting flashes of black sometimes briefly and sometimes constant. MY system is no slouch as can be seen from below. Checked the frame rate and the DCS counter is showing a constant 30 frames whilst on the carrier.

Any other index users getting this problem ?

When I fly from the carrier then all returns to normal nice and smooth with no black flashing.

Flashing seems worse when looking towards the carriers tower.

What is weird is the view and movement of people on board are smooth but I get this black flashing some times rectangular and part of an eye and other times half an eye . Also flashing at different times in each eye and seems worst in the left eye.

I have put a small video in my drop box below

Any help much appreciated. Cant use the carrier at the moment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3e0wpgyvpnni88n/Valve%20index%20issue%20supercarrier%20.mp4?dl=0

That is almost literally what I'm saying/showing in the video above?

FWIW I plugged in a Rift S and no more black bars.

It is probably a SteamVR thing then....I had the Rift S till some days ago and didn't have this issue...now with the Reverb (since yesterday) i have this issue

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hi Folks,

I had this exact same problem and have managed to fix / clear it.

Cutting a long story short:-

I put this line below in to my 'Users/name/saved games/DCS/config/autoexec.cfg' file:-

options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

I found this caused me to only be able to see the deck crew in one eye.

I then changed the 'true' to 'false' and restarted DCS.

The flicker was gone.

I used SC all yesterday evening with not a single flicker and have tested it this morning after a 'cold start' and there

is still no flicker.

Turning this option on then off fixed/cleared the problem for me maybe it will work for you!

Good luck.

Stay well.

This is already known...the line is false for me

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

This is already known...the line is false for me

Certainly wasn’t “already known” to me.

Thanks for the tip, will give it a try!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I switched off msaa rebooted then turned it back on. No more flashing

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Hi Folks,

I had this exact same problem and have managed to fix / clear it.

Cutting a long story short:-

I put this line below in to my 'Users/name/saved games/DCS/config/autoexec.cfg' file:-

options.graphics.stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = true

I found this caused me to only be able to see the deck crew in one eye.

I then changed the 'true' to 'false' and restarted DCS.

The flicker was gone.

I used SC all yesterday evening with not a single flicker and have tested it this morning after a 'cold start' and there

is still no flicker.

Turning this option on then off fixed/cleared the problem for me maybe it will work for you!

Good luck.

Stay well.

Hi, couldn't find an autoexec file in the saved files directory as you have indicated.

Any way found the line in the main eagle dynamics program files.

Changed to true black bars !!!! Then back again to false black bars !!!! . Both times made no difference

:-(

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

I switched off msaa rebooted then turned it back on. No more flashing

Tried it but unfortunately did not work.

I did change from 90 frames to 120 on the index and seemed to work ONCE!. Next time I switched on did not work and cannot repeat it.

Think there is something fundamental going on. Anyway unplayable for me at the moment unfortunately.

I would be interested to see of there are index users that do not have this problem?

I will go back in later today and see if it held or comes back.

Standby

Just flew for an hour. No return of the flashing tower on the new SC

Very strange but happy with 45-55 fps performance.

Just flew for an hour. No return of the flashing tower on the new SC

Very strange but happy with 45-55 fps performance.

Yes but very frustrating from this end. So to clarify you have MSAA on. Then :-

1 switch msaa off.

2 reboot the game or computer?

3 Then switch msaa on and all is ok.

what settings are you running pixel density set in steam vr and DCS

also what msaa are you running x2 or x4

Just flew myself on my own mission for practice with the carrier. Its all good as long as I do not look at the carrier island. Strange.

Thanks

Hi Glyn,

I sometimes find that some things work in the save games folder but not in the main DCS install folder and vise a versa.

I have attached my 'autoexec' file.

If you dont have one you have to make one.

Put this file in your save games folder:-

Users/name/saved games/DCS/config/autoexec.cfg

Run DCS then shut it down and change the 'options' entry to 'false'.

I could not get this to work from the main DCS folder but it worked from the saved games folder.

If cycling the mssa wont clear it maybe this will do it like it did for me?

Glad to hear you got it sorted 'Mr Biggs'. The SC is a stunner once shes running!

Stay well folks.

autoexec.cfg

Certainly wasn’t “already known” to me.

Thanks for the tip, will give it a try!

Sorry Mr.Big Biggs...

I didn’t mean to be rude, it is just that this issue is not due the single pass stereo (shader.parser) because i have it to false and i have the issue.

Anyway just for your curiosity here is a post about this option and why it is not usable for now...this is why i was referring to this as already known

[W.I.P]stereo_mode_use_shared_parser helps a lot with balancing CPU/GPU usage

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=74365&share_tid=269320&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D269320&share_type=t&link_source=app

I am getting strange artifacting in my Reverb but it is a flash of white lines in the corners that flashing really fast. Not sure if it is DCS or hardware though. I have the stereo parser script set to False as well.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

All good, no worries!

So my settings In game

Msaa 2x

Pd .7

Stream Resolution per eye 360

90hz refresh

I originally had the issue. Turned msaa to off. Loaded the carrier in mp. Logged out. Turned msaa back to 2 x.

All better and frames 45-50 ish. No blinking

To Virus's point the stereo thing is not a "fix" as it creates other problems with deck crew in one eye and per ED staff it's not ready for public use. Turning MSAA off is more of a workaround than a fix as I don't want to turn MSAA off :)

I think the fix here is an actual fix from ED, hopefully in the next patch or so. I think from the feedback we can say it's narrowed to Lighthouse + Reverb (maybe anything that uses motion smoothing?) and certainly when looking toward the island of the carrier.

Not lighthouse related. I've seen it in my Odyssey+ usually on startup. Can't say I've noticed it in the Hornet though definitely in the Tomcat.

EDIT: Saw it in the Hornet today. Always in the left eye, it seems.

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I have a Pimax 5K XR, using steamVr. I have MSAA turned on in nvidia ctrl panel but if i raise steamVr settings or try to add in game msaa then i too get the flickering of black flashes, where the eye piece cuts out. I have to think its a steamVr thing. So things are a little jagged lines. Still great fun.

I have a Pimax 5K XR, using steamVr. I have MSAA turned on in nvidia ctrl panel but if i raise steamVr settings or try to add in game msaa then i too get the flickering of black flashes, where the eye piece cuts out. I have to think its a steamVr thing. So things are a little jagged lines. Still great fun.

Probably because with Rift S I didn't have this issue, while I have it with the Reverb