AMD or Nvidia for BS and DCS world ?

m1tp2king

If you are running the current version of DCS World, Nvidia will give you better performance.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Nvidia on DCS as it is.

I generally find Nvidia smoother on other games even though the AMDs can beat it on Frames.

Could wait for Edge but it may be a long wait.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. OpenXR, Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC.

Vaicom user. Virpil Mongoose base CM3 & Mongoose stick CM2 (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS with apache Grip. MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.

as much as it pains me to go against AMD, nVidia Runs DCS better, plain and simple.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I still have 6970 and am getting frames at 30+ on two monitors. Mostly maxed settings too ( civ traffic off, clutter about half - trees maxed, shadows med).

Why are you upgrading now? My card should hold on until edge is out I' d think....

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I still have 6970 and am getting frames at 30+ on two monitors. Mostly maxed settings too ( civ traffic off, clutter about half - trees maxed, shadows med).

Why are you upgrading now? My card should hold on until edge is out I' d think....

Good point! I agree with above posters that nvidia give syou a better performance, but if you don't have issues (frames drop below 15 fps, stuttering etc.) I wouldn't change the GFX Card until EDGE is out.

We even do not know how EDGE will affect the performance for good or bad.

Though I guess it will enhance overall performance by offloading some tasks to the GFX card, we do not know what performance class we will need to take full advantage.

Worst case you buy a nvidia card now and realise you should have bought a different one when EDGE is out.

If you are not pressed to upgrade, don't do it.

If you have issues at the moment, make sure it is related to the GFX card and not lack of memory or missing CPU power.

Just my two cents. :smartass:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

As much as I dislike Nvidia, I always end up buying their cards and have never had any problems. I just wish they'd throw in a bit more VRAM and be a bit more competitive on pricing. AMD might be great but after all the stories I've heard, I'd rather stick with the devil I know.

I am enjoying DCS on a Powercolor 7950...I get good performance unlike many that say AMD suks in here.

Maybe it has something to do with my old i7 980X. Dunno

Not sure yet what I will upgrade to next.

I am planning a new build but will wait for the Haswell refresh and Broadwell release and see what cards are available when that happens. I don't know at this point if I will go NVidia or AMD.

Edge may help me decide if I will go over to the "Darkside"

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

ATI 6970. 1080x1920x5;

ATI 7970. 1920x1080x2+1080x1920x2;

If you are a million $ men go to nVidia :music_whistling:

We say that the R9 290x, is a heartbreaker ... :D

Greetings!

PD:

FX 8350-5033 MHz-Only 4 cores in the 2nd video.

Edited by P1KW

"If adventure is dangerous, try the routine. It is deadly."

Paulo Coelho.

Whether NVIDIA or ATI. Both graphics cards have their potential. I have always decided (almost) for NVIDIA, as the driver support and the possibilities of the settings are TOP. To balance my games i had many problems with the settings of ATI gfx, so i was many times frustated ...

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X @ 4.7 MHz            Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AORUS Elite AX    Module: 64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR5 @ 3000        Video: RTX 4090 PALIT GameRock OC 24 GB

Monitor: SAMSUNG U28E590 @ 4K                      Other: HP Reverb G2 and WD Black SN850X                    The answers is ... 42!

I realised the other day that I've never bought an AMD card. I've always had Nvidia cards since I bought a Riva TNT 2 off a friend in the early 2000's. The only bad one I ever had was an FX5200 (cheap and rubbish). After that I think they pretty much hit a home run with every series up to the 400 Fermi's which weren't much faster than the 200 series and the 480 ran hot and loud. As they were the first DX11 cards though, they were alright.

I have to say that I'm dissapointed in the 700 series though. The 780Ti should have come out instead of the Titan for ~£500 and the regular 780 should have been released soon after for around £320 in my opinion.

All Nvidia have done with the 700 series is create a new 'ultra enthusiast' tier and delayed the launch of their regular flagship cards.

I remember when the top, fully unlocked card running the fastest clocks cost around £450 and the slightly cut down version was around £300.

Now it's £800(Titan) and £550(780Ti). Thanks Nvidia.

Because of this I have bought a GTX 770, which is really the last generation flagship 680 with a slight over clock. Still, for £216 I felt the price was reasonable.

Now it's £800(Titan) and £550(780Ti). Thanks Nvidia.

Well, since their somewhat overpriced cards are selling well, there's no need for them to cut the prices. I guess that they have a better marketing/lobbying as people keep bashing AMD cards and drivers around forums based on hear-say mostly.

There was some article today saying AMD graphics share is actually reducing which is not good news (except for Nvidia and Intel, of course). If you think current Nvidia graphics card prices are high, wait till they have the full monopoly :)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Personally I hope more people do buy AMD cards but when I looked, an R9 280X was £240. This was more expensive than my 770 for pretty much the same performance.

I was tempted for the extra gig of vram and upcoming Mantle support, but as I've always had Nvidia cards I just didn't want to make the switch. Especially with people saying DCS generally runs better on Nvidia cards.

I'd love to see some DCS benchmarks from somebody with a 7970 or 280x though.

By the way, this is from a Forbes article which includes oboard GPU's in CPU's (hence why Intel and AMD are actually doing quite well).

Here’s how total graphics market share looks for Q4 2013:

AMD: 20.7%

Nvidia: 16.3%

Intel: 62.9%

Edited by howie87

Yeah, I might have jumped the wagon on that based on the article title..

http://hothardware.com/News/AMDs-GPU-Market-Share-Takes-A-Beating-From-Intel-Nvidia/

R280X or 7970? I'm curious if the 290 runs DCS as well as perhaps the 'old' 780 being similar in price.. Though the AMD 290 series cards are so above MSRP currently as they seem to be quite popular due to this virtual coin mining craze so perhaps it's not the best time to go for one. That might also be influencing somewhat the prices of weaker models (like e.g. the 280X)? Though that's just pure uneducated speculation on my side as I'm too lazy to back it up with any arguments now.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Yeah, the AMD card prices do seem a bit high at the moment due the mining craze although they seem to be much more expensive releative to Nvida across the other side of the pond as opposed to here in Europe.

I think DCS is at the point now where the game engine is actually the limiting factor. Myself and several of my squadron buddies have recently upgraded from 500 series to 700 series cards and although we have been able to increase graphics settings to maximum, our overall frame rates are largely similar to what they were before. It seems that CPU speed might now be the bottleneck. Hopefully this will change with EDGE and we'll be able to offload more of that work to our GPU's.

Edited by howie87

Yeah, I might have jumped the wagon on that based on the article title..

http://hothardware.com/News/AMDs-GPU-Market-Share-Takes-A-Beating-From-Intel-Nvidia/

R280X or 7970? I'm curious if the 290 runs DCS as well as perhaps the 'old' 780 being similar in price.. Though the AMD 290 series cards are so above MSRP currently as they seem to be quite popular due to this virtual coin mining craze so perhaps it's not the best time to go for one. That might also be influencing somewhat the prices of weaker models (like e.g. the 280X)? Though that's just pure uneducated speculation on my side as I'm too lazy to back it up with any arguments now.

AMD GPU's are Running Upwards 200% AMD's MSRP, and Selling left and right due to mining performance,

Whenever the Mining market crashes, there's hundreds of 7950/7970s on ebay a few days later,

Titan Black Edition will add to the Titan Series. Titan with all SMX Blocks enabled.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I realised the other day that I've never bought an AMD card. I've always had Nvidia cards since I bought a Riva TNT 2 off a friend in the early 2000's.

Oh wow, Riva TNT series, man that brings me back. Haha. That was the first video card I ever purchased. Followed by a Voodoo3 card just so I could play Freespace. Not long after that I found this cool sim called Flanker...

Oh such wonderful nostalgia!

Anyway, back to topic, I also recommend Nvidia. I had two AMD/ATI cards before and always had issues and sub-par performance. I also like the added benefit of things like PhysX and CUDA. I know AMD is trying to play catch-up, but Nvidia has the clear lead in offloading processes to a GPU. (Minus bitcoin mining like Skatezilla mentioned.)

"Sol" - 9th Shrek Air Strike Squadron

I use an ATI 7950 which is tweaked by Sapphire to a turbo mode thing or whatever. On board it has 3 gig of ram. The cpu is a 100 Euro AMD 6350. :D

My frame rates on a full HD monitor is between 45 ~ 55 fps with the settings in DCS world on high and AA on 8Q. I did also the HDR mod.

Most of the time I'm flying the SU-25T. (I'm still a rookie in DCS)

Considering above results it is in my opinion no need to buy 1000 $ cpu's or dual graphic cards but I have no experience in a multi monitor setup. I should buy a nVidia or ATI card with most bang for buck depending of the market price.

By the way: I use the latest ATI driver and did no tweaking. In my opinion it is a big advantage that DCS is 64 bits and uses more cpu cores.

/Arthur