What would be the best opponent for the MiG-21bis?

Zakatak

What would be the best opponent for the MiG-21bis?  

530 members have voted

1. 1. What would be the best opponent for the MiG-21bis?

• F-4 Phantom II
    • F-5 Tiger II
    • Mirage IIIE
    • IAI Kfir
    • F-104 Starfighter
    • F-16A
    • Mirage F1
    • SAAB 35 Draken
    • F-14A Tomcat
    • Other? (write in)

@ Alicatt, Victor ?.

David K, oop North at Carlisle. He is and was a manager of a company I used to work for before I retired, he and I both shared an interest in all things aviation, as did my director at head office :)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I voted for the Phantom for obvious reasons... But the Draken would be a day one purchase for me!

Always liked that plane...

:thumbup:

Draken was a fine piece of machinery!

Yeah I get that! And seeing the 60% vote-rate on it I feel like a lot of people vote for that reason aswell :)

It just doesn't seem like it would ever be a fair fight. Workload of one pilot versus two, or even worse, the DCS AI just seems unappealing. :music_whistling:

My DCS stream

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Past broadcasts, Highlights

Currently too much to do... But watch and (maybe) learn something :)

There's really no wrong answer here. My favorite is the F-5, but I'd take the entire list.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Lightning first then the Draken

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate. OpenXR, Open XR tool kit disabled.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC.

Vaicom user. Virpil Mongoose base CM3 & Mongoose stick CM2 (not set for dead stick), Virpil TCS with apache Grip. MFG pedals with damper upgrade. Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.

For me Mirage III or F-5 would be great. F-4 would be also great but as it was pointed out, double seater (RIO) would have probably cause too much trouble developing.

Besides those mentioned having Harrier FRS1 (or FA2 or AV-8A) would be also neat, of course together with HMS Invincible/Hermes.

Who knows, maybe video of MiG 21 VTOL FM tests was not coincidence...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Now this man knows what he's talking about...... and anyone else who wants to see this beauty in DCS

I don't think anyone would complain about that.

Still think the F-8 would be more interesting as an opponent (assuming that we can't have a multi-seat F-4) but the Lightning would be a more interesting flyable plane.

Now this man knows what he's talking about...... and anyone else who wants to see this beauty in DCS

I agree, probably my favourite jet of all time.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Voted F-5E... double seater is depending too much on ED. If they manage multi seat, then of course the F-4E Phantom!

EDIT: Mind the E ! With gun and radar!!!

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I would be happy with a Phantom even if you couldn't have 2 clients in it at the same time.... just having a system like the Huey/Mi-8M would be great

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

i voted F-4 for the obvious reasons but.. reading the comments i was reminded of the F-8

should have voted for the F-8

classic aircraft...

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I voted F-4 as well, but I understand the complexities that a dual seater can cause, so I'd take anything that's a good match.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Perhaps also an A-4 Skyhawk would be interesting, and hopefully we can have one:

We are more than happy to confirm that we are working in collaboration with VEAO to bring the Skyhawk to DCS. For Obvious reasons I cant go into details for the module and appropriate announcements and confirmations will follow from the guys at VEAO in due course. Watch this space!

F-5E and Mirage 3. The MIG-21Bis was designed to compete with the F-5E and has a similar weapons load (WVR only missiles), both have extremely short range radars, similar payload sizes and whatnot.

The F-4, MiG-23 and Mirage F1 are in a competing class. Even if the F-4 is older than those two. The F-4 simply out classed the aircraft of its times by a large margin. It won't be fun to go up against an F-4 in a MIG-21. :)

I agree with you regarding the first part: F-5E Tiger II or Mirage IIIC would be the best suitable opponent with respect to F-4. But I think it's natural that the F-4 receives more support. Plus it's also nice to see, as opposed to the other two! ;)

But I find it hard to believe that "The F-4 simply out classed by the aircraft of Its times a large margin." :D