Ju-87 Ejection seat

I didn't think an injection seat was developed until after the war. Closer to 1950 was my guess. I'm quite sure the Bell X-1 did not have an injection seat either. If it was tested in the JU-87, makes one wonder what other aircraft it was fitted and tested on or if it actually made it onto the production line of other aircraft.

I didn't think an injection seat was developed until after the war.

Injection seat? Think i'm gonna pass on that one. :)

• Like 1

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

I didn't think an injection seat was developed until after the war. Closer to 1950 was my guess. I'm quite sure the Bell X-1 did not have an injection seat either.

Ha ha, my reaction to that was actually "hmm, never heard of it. Guess that's what they call those seats that shoot you downwards, like in the B-52".

Ha ha, my reaction to that was actually "hmm, never heard of it. Guess that's what they call those seats that shoot you downwards, like in the B-52".

Wasn't that the B-47?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

To what I know, the He 162 was the first «ejection seat». Although it was VERY simple : the under of the seat was reinforced, so if you were to eject, you had to put a nade under the seat after oppening the canopy XD. This was due to the fact that the engine was on top of the plane, making a «jumping out» exit as bad as crashing cuz you'd get sucked into the reactor.

Pretty sure the Do-335 had an ejection seat.... And that was 1945ish

It did and there was a major design flaw as you had to hold onto the canopy to push it back despite the canopy itself being ejected or being forced back by the wind too fast. They found a few pilots missing arms where the force of the canopy being caught by the wind tore off their arms. Something like that anyway. A particularly sad and tragic way to die.

Hood

ps see Eric Brown's book for details - I think it was Wings on My Sleeve.

Edited by Hood

It did and there was a major design flaw as you had to hold onto the canopy to push it back despite the canopy itself being ejected or being forced back by the wind too fast. They found a few pilots missing arms where the force of the canopy being caught by the wind tore off their arms. Something like that anyway. A particularly sad and tragic way to die.

Hood

There was one Pilot found like this.

The trick behind was to move the handles for Canopy jettison from the inner side of the Cockpit and push them up and not to pull it like a handbrake this will make your arms get stuck between the Canopy and the handles. Caused by the Wind Force they Snap over.

798439033_DO-335CockpitHTJ.thumb.jpg.6b198733c0f950896a9b7ad2f866722c.jpg

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Hood

There was only one Do335 that crashed, WNr 240108, VG+PO, at DoneFeld Dec 24 1944 killing the pilot when the the control wires burned through do to an engine fire.

There was only one Do335 that crashed, WNr 240108, VG+PO, at DoneFeld Dec 24 1944 killing the pilot when the the control wires burned through do to an engine fire.

Yes thats also all i did find Yesterday. But maybe some accidents happend after the War when allies did fly the captured 335s for testing etc.

I did also not find anything clear about how many 335s survived the War.

Hope someone makes a Do-335 module!

Yep that would be nice

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Yes thats also all i did find Yesterday. But maybe some accidents happend after the War when allies did fly the captured 335s for testing etc.

There was some post war crashes but none that I could find that required the pilot to bail out.

Supposedly this myth started when a German mechanic told an Allied pilot that German pilots had lost their arms when bailing out. Nothing like adding to the apprehension of flying a strange a/c.:)

There was some post war crashes but none that I could find that required the pilot to bail out.

Supposedly this myth started when a German mechanic told an Allied pilot that German pilots had lost their arms when bailing out. Nothing like adding to the apprehension of flying a strange a/c.:)

Yeah...but i will still do some research over the days its an interesting story.

Hmmm: DCS DO-335 *Arrow* this sounds pretty good isnt it..:D

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Yep that would be nice

Eric Brown talks about a test flown 335 crashing on a school soon after the war. It caused an end to test flights of captured German aircraft in the UK irc.