2014 Realtek audio still sucks

Yup, it's a (non-audiophile's) rant.

You know what they say: Elvis is still dead, Realtek still sucks donkey $|(ks.

You've probably seen the Techsyndicate's Gaming Audio Myths: Avoid The BS & Save Your Audio Life Doesn't the theory on how onboard sound could be... sound nice? Here's some more practical view on the subject.

I've been dealing with Realtek audio for a decade or so. I fix people's computers from time to time. Most of the computers are office/home computers with Realtek audio chips. After my initial bad go with Realtek* I started paying attention to how their chips perform in other people's systems. And so, when I have a chance I hook up some ~$60 headphones to see what's going on with the infamous Realtek stuff. Hell, most of the time even people's own stereo desktop speakers are enough to check what needs to be checked.

Well, same ole %$|t. Here's what you're putting up to if you plan on actually using that piece of marvelous engineering:

- (our numero uno!) nutless bass; to put it in perspective there's at least 10% less bass than there should be/what a normal sound card would provide

- too low volume even on maximum slider setting

- weird noises when moving your mouse or during HDD operations

Pick at least one. A set of two of the obove is more common though, the nutless bass being the most common and almost guaranteed. Ever got advised to try motherboard manufacturer driver or Realtek's generic driver? Prepare for just a different combination of the above.

I could go on how you're going to be unable to return a mobo with misbehaving Realtek audio (Tech support: Well, it gives sounds, so what's your problem, huh?) but it simply isn't worth it. Do yourself a favor by purchasing even some of the cheapest Asus Xonar sound cards.

PCI: Xonar DS

PCI-E: Xonar DGX (has Dolby Headphone)

USB (desktop PC or notebook): Xonar U3 or Xonar U1

*My onboard soundcard was feeding something that sounded like notebook speakers to my headphones. No bass at all and hissling higher tones.

'FAQ'

1. Oh, but Realtek audio chips are fine. It's mobo manufacturers who make it all bad.

I'm talking about mobo integrated sound here. The end-product. I don't care for the backstage affairs. Realtek seem to be fine with the opinion so...

2. Ha! You don't even specify any chip model.

Doesn't matter. Realtek-based onboard sound seem to be very consistent in how they suck.

3. You're just an ASUS paid troll. You don't recommend Creative sound cards.

Because Creative is (to a large degree) responsible for killing true positional audio in games. So $%#k them too while we're at it.

Edited by Bucic

Not too loud, yep it's mine issue.

These chips has advanced in the last decade for sure, not much though. I have working PC from 2001 with Realtek and sound sucks even more so yeah.

By Creative you mean EAX or something ?

Yup, not much. They don't sound like a landline phone call anymore, I give them that.

By Creative I mean the company and by Creative sound cards I mean the sound cards they manufacture.

Today I've tested one Realtek using Linux (drivers are low-level, not accessible by the user). It sounded much better than on Windows. This could indicate it all comes down to porked Windows drivers.

This would explain why integrated Realteks come up so well in RigtMark analyzer tests etc.

Not that it changes anything. For the end-user it doesn't really matter at which component their (Realtek or motherboard manufacturer) screwed up.

Edited by Bucic

Today I bought a Xonar DGX. My second as it turned out. I've sold the previous one with my DCS desktop rig I got rid of. And since my experience with ditching Realtek for Xonars came up being rather consistent here's a brief Realtek vs cheapest Xonar testimonial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KsTwBCZP0QE#t=365

I've also updated the first post with the correct name of the cheapest PCI-E Xonar. Its name is DGX, not DX. All in all we're talking $30 price range here.

Edited by Bucic

Hey Bucic, thanks for the write up. Here is a thing that I yet to wrap my mind about - how does this onboard sound issue apply to USB headsets at all (haven't used anything else in years now)?

It doesn't. You could disable your on board sound and it won't make a bit of difference.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks for the write up Bucic. I know for a fact when I put a sound card in my old Mobo the sounds improved immensely. Everything sounded so much clearer and crisper. The bass had bass and nothing sounded flat. I'm using onboard right now and I'm seriously considering a card. It sounds alright but I'm sure it could be better. Problem is, I don't know which card to use. My last card was a Creative which I cannot fit into my current PC so I'll need a new card for sure. I've heard mixed results with both Asus and Creative, but which is better?

agree with your analysis

since i have Realtek shit on my pc - searched for the Pci-e sound cards u mentioned, gonna buy one and upgrade the sounds for DCS- thanks mate

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i5 4690K | ASUS Z-97PRO Gaming Mobo | Nvidia Gigabyte GTX970 3.5/0.5 GB Windforce3 | G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD | Win10 Pro | Antec 750w 80 Bronze Modular

(not headset, don't ever buy a headset if you enjoy sound, buy a separate mic instead)

Do you agree with this Bucic? I have Siberia V2 headset and I'm considering a decent sound card for 50€ or above. I'd like to know which one would be the best bang for buck and if it's worth it with my current headset?

I don't have too low volume or noises when moving my mouse. Even if bass is 10% lower than it should be, that hardly seems like a good enough reason to spend £30. Downside with cards is no multi streaming but I guess you can use the card for speakers and onboard for comms headset.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Im an electronics eng as well as an ''audiophile head'' and I laugh hard from what I read.

Bucic my friend, you speak nonsense..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

It doesn't. You could disable your on board sound and it won't make a bit of difference.

So USB headsets are in fact autonomous sound devices with a built-in USB 'sound card'? I've never seen a USB headset review focusing much on the the USB unit itself.

My last card was a Creative which I cannot fit into my current PC so I'll need a new card for sure. I've heard mixed results with both Asus and Creative, but which is better?

I pretty much boycott Creative so I'm not really on a position to tell you which one is better but from what I've read ASUS wins whenever you consider ASUS vs Creative in the same price range. Plus from my experience ASUS fields solid, unbloated drivers and isn't likely to pull some dirty tricks on you (cut support for a given model) to make you buy a new one.

Please also mind that I'm completely unable to tell hands-on which $50 sound card is better quality-wise. I simply don't hear any difference.

Do you agree with this Bucic? I have Siberia V2 headset and I'm considering a decent sound card for 50€ or above. I'd like to know which one would be the best bang for buck and if it's worth it with my current headset?

I won't deny I'm clueless on the subject.Try:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/306129-28-headset-mobo-headset-sound-card-headset-sound-quality

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=usb+headset+vs+sound+card

Also, from what I've seen USB headsets reviews usually barely scratch the surface as far as sound quality is concerned. I'd try looking up a request for opinion on a USB headset on one of the headphone-focused forums.

While looking for a pair of headsets two years ago or so I've seen guys definitely advising against any gaming headsets if you're after sound quality and good sound reproduction. They probably meant the need to add shady postprocessing amongst gaming hardware manufacturers.

Im an electronics eng as well as an ''audiophile head'' and I laugh hard from what I read.

Bucic my friend, you speak nonsense..

I'm perfectly aware what I wrote may not add up on a technical basis and I could name a guy or two from ED forums I trust (knowledgeable) and who would back your opinion right now. And yet I'm not going to back off from what I've said. I am not and audiophile AND I hear a clear difference between Realteks and dedicated soundcards. That's not something I'm going to discard easily.

Besides, evaluation of some of the issues I've mentioned doesn't require an engineer, to say the least. I even dare to say that your regular office-PC-VOIP-crawler would be competent enough to point out some of the issues common to Realteks.

Edited by Bucic

Here is the Playback device list from the laptop I am sitting at. You can see that the G930 USB headphones are a separate device from the Realtek that is built in.

1062307308_soundapplet.JPG.13ac93a23669c1de0ab8fe00aa572410.JPG

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

So USB headsets are in fact autonomous sound devices with a built-in USB 'sound card'? I've never seen a USB headset review focusing much on the the USB unit itself..

it depends on the USB headset, Some of them have their own built in Audio Chip, while others use USB for just Power and connect via 3.5mm Plugs etc.

I have 2 sets of headphones, one's a turtle beach with 3.5mm jacks and a USB Jack for Power,

the other is a Straight up USB Port, that draws power and when plugged in, is seen by windows as a Separate audio device.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

it depends on the USB headset, Some of them have their own built in Audio Chip, while others use USB for just Power and connect via 3.5mm Plugs etc.

I have 2 sets of headphones, one's a turtle beach with 3.5mm jacks and a USB Jack for Power,

the other is a Straight up USB Port, that draws power and when plugged in, is seen by windows as a Separate audio device.

Most 'gaming' headsets are the latter.

I use my mobo's built on soundchip only for SPDIF optical output to my DAC. It sounds so transparent to my ears :)

Then the DAC goes into active studio monitors via a balanced XLR connection. If there is any noise, I can't hear it, but it might have a small effect ;)

What's good about optical SPDIF is there is no chance of computer ground noise getting into the monitor. That is basically impossible.

I agree onboard soundchips from realtek are really like REALLY Bad !!!

I use to put creative soundcards in my machines but since i did some testing and Reading i ended up getting a Asus Xonar Phoebus. Man what a difference !!! The card is not cheap but you can hear so much more and everything is really clear. Also the amount of tweaking is large so you can make everything sound to your taste.

Using it with a closed Sennheiser PC350 bass moded headphones.

g8PjVMw.png

- weird noises when moving your mouse or during HDD operations

Ahrrrrrgh. So can Realtek be the culprit for that weird "mouse moving noise" I get in some apps?

In DCS the most noticeable noise from moving the mouse is in the Multiplayer start screen (and other menu screens). It's really annoying.

Ahrrrrrgh. So can Realtek be the culprit for that weird "mouse moving noise" I get in some apps?

In DCS the most noticeable noise from moving the mouse is in the Multiplayer start screen (and other menu screens). It's really annoying.

Whether it's Realtek/mobo fault or some Windows guts I don't know. What I'm sure of is that I've never heard such noises on any system with a dedicated soundcard. This particular issue I've found to be (oddly) solvable by switching drivers to a different set. Please mind the following note:

Ever got advised to try motherboard manufacturer driver or Realtek's generic driver? Prepare for just a different combination of the (issues listed) above.

BTW, I've reviewed tens of forum threads re issues with Realtek. Find me two forum threads that actually consistently solve a stated issue* and I'll buy you a round plus a solid pizza if you visit Warsaw some day :beer: This should be really interesting to put against 'technical capabilities' of Realtek audio.

* Just to make it clear. Something like this http://www.overclock.net/t/1249925/realtek-hd-no-bass-in-headphones#post_17103562 Nope. No pizza :D

Edited by Bucic

I have Realtek audio chipo and I like it with my Logitech 5.1. It works flawless thorough various games - WoT, DCS, BMS and so on.

Now you can say I am deaf :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ