Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp Radial Engine

I apologize in advance for my random musings... But I'm bored of reading about who had what fuel, and who hates or loves Ed.

Since I can't do anything but wait and daydream, here are some thoughts:

The P-47's engine is the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp Radial engine... Or at least a slightly modified/improved upon version of it.

I got to thinking about this motor... And how popular it was during the war.

Once this mysterious "Ed" fellow realistically models this engine for the P-47, it should be "relatively" easy to drop it into various airplanes that utilized it during the war.

I did a quick and dirty search and found this wiki-page:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-2800

Out of the list of planes that used this engine, 4 stand out as easily profitable. The A-26, the B-26, the F6F, and the F4U.

Of those four airplanes, the single engined fighters would be easier than the twin engined ones.

Both fought in the Pacific.

This is a key point. After the Kickstarter debacle I imagine Ed would like to distance himself from any other "WWII" titled themes. Also a large stumbling block seems to be the 1944 Normandy map.

It seems to me that Pacific maps would be easier to pump out as a majority of the map is ocean. Only small islands need to be accurately modelled.

Also, the P-47, P-51, and Spitfire all played large roles in the Pacific and could be "carried over."

I say once the current roster of planes are produced, Ed should start a small team tasked to pump out Pacific maps. Another small team could get the F6F and F4U up and running, while the majority of the team work on building Japanese planes needed for opposition.

Once we're all focused on the Pacific... Then go back to the Europe conflict (and release those B-26's and A-26's)! ;)

this is not a F4u... but a CL215 at my job(wich has the same engine as a F4U)

Enjoy the sound

• Like 1
Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

The F4U would be a tricky boid to handle on the ground, but I'd go for the F4U-1D

Mind you, if some kind developer decided to model saaay the A6M5 and the USS Essex (CV-9) to take off and land on I'd want an F6F-5...:smilewink:

Man you just got me worked up.

I used to love hunting F5s in an A6M3 back in IL2

Intel i5 7600K @ 4.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 @ 3200MHz | MSI RTX 4060 Gaming X 8G | WD Black NVMe 2TB | Sound Blaster Audigy RX | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | Corsair H80i v2 | Corsair RM750x | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack | TrackIR 5 | Windows 10 Home 64-bit |

Sig1.png

Flashbacks to Aces of the Pacific while reading this thread. Love to see the F4U and F6 in DCS with some Pacific theaters. Throw in a P38/F4F and the mainstay fighters for the US would be pretty much covered. F4U would also benefit with a Korean Map if it was ever made since it saw action there.

pacific

everybody loves carriers . . .

its not easy modelling those, and getting the wind and sea effects . . . the feel for the landing . . .

I'd really want this.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like the dauntless or skyraider, even a Japanese plane and a small / jeep carrier (like a moving island) came out as opposed to the more popular planes or Ironworks ones (G***man and the driver's license).

Just the nature of ED, I was thrown off when they were released as opposed to more popular crafts (blackshark? but the cobra everyone knows about . . . wait a-10? what about F-14 or Falcon). But hey it works, some flying awesomeness that isn't the most popular but people can get into.

Luthier wanted to draw the most crowds and why the WW2 featured the most popular planes upon release (as opposed to unknown eastern front theaters with two planes that influenced A-10 designers . . .) But now once the initial promises are done . . . Maybe the pacific will be handled as usual, with cool but not well known planes. When it comes around. I wouldn't be surprised (either) if WW2 release, then back to more modern things . . .

My number one want for DCS:WWII is an F4U Corsair. It makes me drool just thinking about finally being able to put a DCS Corsair into the drink... Imagine taking off from Vella Lavella with a group if VF-17 Corsairs to go wreck havoc on Rabaul.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I apologize in advance for my random musings... But I'm bored of reading about who had what fuel, and who hates or loves Ed.

The P-47's engine is the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp Radial engine... Or at least a slightly modified/improved upon version of it.

Once this mysterious "Ed" fellow realistically models this engine for the P-47, it should be "relatively" easy to drop it into various airplanes that utilized it during the war.

I did a quick and dirty search and found this wiki-page:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-2800

Out of the list of planes that used this engine, 4 stand out as easily profitable. The A-26, the B-26, the F6F, and the F4U.

Of those four airplanes, the single engined fighters would be easier than the twin engined ones.

Both fought in the Pacific.

This is a key point. After the Kickstarter debacle I imagine Ed would like to distance himself from any other "WWII" titled themes. Also a large stumbling block seems to be the 1944 Normandy map.

It seems to me that Pacific maps would be easier to pump out as a majority of the map is ocean. Only small islands need to be accurately modelled.

Also, the P-47, P-51, and Spitfire all played large roles in the Pacific and could be "carried over."

I say once the current roster of planes are produced, Ed should start a small team tasked to pump out Pacific maps. Another small team could get the F6F and F4U up and running, while the majority of the team work on building Japanese planes needed for opposition.

Once we're all focused on the Pacific... Then go back to the Europe conflict (and release those B-26's and A-26's)! ;)

ABSOLUTELY!

A sensible post with a plan along with explanations as to why it makes sense.. Nice idea with sensible progression...

Very nice!

Count me in!

:thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Excellent post. It may be a bit difficult to find, but if you really want to get some history on the R-2800 read THIS book. I can't recommend it enough if you enjoy this type of stuff. Such a great engine for it's time. And I agree, after it is modelled & refined properly, those other great birds become much easier to bring to life down the road.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

P-61 would be awesome! Also, if they did release the F6F they could also release the nightfighter variant... Was it the F6F-N? It had a radar pod built into the wing!

This brings up a point... What about variants?

After making an F6F.... Adding a radar pod with working radar would be a pretty big change... I wouldn't mind paying another $50 for that...

But what about a P-47D-40? The only difference between the -30 and the -40 was added dive brakes, a tail radar, and rocket brackets instead of the older bazooka tubes.

How would ED handle that? Would that be a $15 addon?

What about a P-47D-22? It's basically a Razorback version of the -30. (The gas tank may be a different size too... Can't remember). I wouldn't mind paying another $15 for that.

Variants could be a quick and easy way for ED to make back small profit.

Shoot... I'd pay $75 for a master P-47 package that pre-ordered some of the older variants.

The DC-3/C-47, Wildcat, Dauntless, Helldiver, and B-17 all share the Wright R-1820 Cyclone 9 engine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_R-1820

Helldiver had R-2600 Wright, and I think C-47 had PW R-1830 14-cylinder, like in B-24. C-47 with 1820 would seem reasonable (Wildcat used both), but I don't think either could push a Helldiver away from its oil stain.

Helldiver had R-2600 Wright, and I think C-47 had PW R-1830 14-cylinder, like in B-24. C-47 with 1820 would seem reasonable (Wildcat used both), but I don't think either could push a Helldiver away from its oil stain.

Hey! But the Helldiver is still a beauty! It's got some nice curves!