Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

can you remove the excessive DRM please?

nap0leonic

OP, you were crying about this last year http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=110978 but the best bit is since then you've still not got any problem with DRM except what you read.

Your statistics are made up, your complaints are groundless and your motives are dubious.

• Like 1

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

DCS is one of the best pieces of software in this regard. I prefer it to most other games, I don't want to download their buggy and annoying launcher that I need to log into all the time.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I'm rather surprised that this matter hasn't been in the spotlight here, so if I am wrong then feel free to correct me.

Maybe there is no spot light on it because there is no problem about it? It should also clear your surprise...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Problem is that 'hardware changes' is too sensitive, i was doing some tests with different memory slots, and each time it would reset my activations.

also the same when i removed a HDD from my computer (which is not used by DCS or Windows in anyway)

i mean , a difference CPU/Motherboard i can understand , memory? not really cool

some unused hdd removed resets activations? thats insane.

i decided to keep the HDD in the system for the sole purpose of not losing activations.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Problem is that 'hardware changes' is too sensitive, i was doing some tests with different memory slots, and each time it would reset my activations.

also the same when i removed a HDD from my computer (which is not used by DCS or Windows in anyway)

i mean , a difference CPU/Motherboard i can understand , memory? not really cool

some unused hdd removed resets activations? thats insane.

i decided to keep the HDD in the system for the sole purpose of not losing activations.

For future reference when doing hardware changes or swapping out just deactivated your modules, problem solved, no activation loss.

If StarForce detects changes to your computer hardware/software as described below, an

activation will be required.

An activation will be required if the hardware/software changes exceed 12 points as rated

below:

CPU ID: 13

Windows PID: 3

Computer Name: 3

Hard drive volume serial number: 3

MAC address: 6

RAM amount: 6

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Info from the quick start pdf in our docs folders

What ED could really do is put that explanation on the steam page. On steam it looks like you get 10 activations and that's that, EA style.

While I might not share the alarmist attitude of the OP, people make here make it sound as if problems with Starforce are completely unheard of, which is simply not true. When one monitors the Steam forums for a while, this stuff comes up again and again.

Also many people are honestly scared off by this particular DRM, not only by the name but especially by the hardware activation. I can't understand when people tell "np you can just deactivate all your modules before you even touch the screw's of your PC case"...

Why do I even have to? As DCS modules grow in number this is only going to suck more. Never mind bogus activation bugs where you lose activations etc. which is simply frustrating, sure make a ticket, support bla. bla. Why even add the additional layer of stress for us & ED?

But anyway, Starforce is here to stay, very much doubt that is going to change anytime soon. Btw I was aware of DCS for quite a while before I bought the A-10C in 2012, this particular DRM kept me away.

For future reference when doing hardware changes or swapping out just deactivated your modules, problem solved, no activation loss.

But decativations are not limitless , i can deactivate 10 times only

and those points you ( 3 for hdd 6 memory etc. ) dont seem to be same for all modules , otherwise i can explain why the ones i tried (mig21 and p51) asked to reactivate

by the way , if i dont reactivate and restart with the old hardware configuration it wont ask to activate again.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
But decativations are not limitless , i can deactivate 10 times only

Where did you get the info that deactivations have a limit? I have never seen this

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I wish i had problems like napoleonic

There is hunger, wars in the world and whats most important- still no EDGE and all u care about it this :(

please don't mention the 'E' word here , don't want this thread to be 'disappeared' .

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A reality of this is that DCS is niche enough that nobody cares to pirate it, especially given the structure of DCS:World with module plugins that makes it harder.

At the very least there just isn't a need for limited activations.

What, really is the point of having limited activations such as we have?

maybe if they change the singleplayer GUI to be part of the MP executable where you need to login to your user every time you start the game like other games out there.

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unlike many of the software packages I have, I have never even contemplated a DCS crack. I just don't let myself think that way about DCS. It's too important to me. So, I know nothing about crossing up my install of DCS. In fact, some modules I have twice just to reward ED for such a great sim.

Yes, I have had a SSD crash and hand to reinstall Windows, DCS, TacView, TrackIR, and drivers for my hardware. I lost an activation, I would assume. But I have nine left... I think. I haven't checked in a while.

I have no problem with any software from ED, core install nor modules. Yes, the Huey Beta was seriously weird once first released, but today, the Huey is an angel for me. I really don't think about Digital Rights Management (DRM) with DCS.

My problem, my abject refusal to get anything from them, is Steam. I bought a Shooter game through Steam, once, and somewhere in there, I lost a key or something. I lost the use of something I paid for. (I really can't recall how or what I did, but Steam pissed me off.) ED might like Steam and offer DCS to people that way, but I am SOOOOOO glad I bought everything straight from ED. There are no issues with DRM and DCS for me.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Where did you get the info that deactivations have a limit? I have never seen this

From the manual. There are 10 activations and 10 deactivations. You never receive any new deactivations.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• ED Team
From the manual. There are 10 activations and 10 deactivations. You never receive any new deactivations.

Thanks just read that now, first time I have seen that must have missed it when reading.

If that is the only reason to have issues with the DRM I think some are trying to hard.

I have been flying DCS for a while had loads of hardware updates and new machines and the activations and deactivations have never once been an issue for me.

I haven't either, but the 3 activation limit on the campaign does puzzle me greatly.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

if it simple cd key activation then why it called starforce? as you implied, the name starforce itself has bad history so it does pose legitimate concern for me.

if it simple cd key activation then why is there activation limit (especially the one likely forced upon hardware change detected)? for comparison I've just built a new right a month ago and all my steam games automatically work after simple steam client reinstallation, no hardware change reactivation threatening me whatsoever, shortly after that my processor died and requires me to 'bug hunting' which lead me to buy a new SSD (because the old SSD was one of the suspected of failing; and I WAS FORCED TO REINSTALL WINDOWS in which bypassing the sad neccessity of deactivating DCS if I already had it installed before), so again no reactivation whatsoever threatening me from accessing other games on steam...

am I right that such accidents may require me to reactivate DCS modules if I had it? sooner or later I may be prevented to play DCS modules I paid just because my GPU failed or something; for me such a thing quite unacceptable on this day and age, certainly not for such niche product.. I know I can get new reactivation keys but geez, that is almost similar to always on drm that prevent you to play because your ISP having trouble with the network; and again as comparison my other games on steam just don't have such threat ready to shove knife on my neck or such.

I hope you can see my point.

Again, you're associating the Name Starforce with the old Starforce Drivers for Optical Disc DRM.

Starforce ProActive DRM gets fantastic reviews and does not install any middle ware hardware drivers like the old star force did.

To keep it simple, its a License Key system.

You run the SF Proactive dialog, it generates a Hardware/Machine ID unique to your system based on hardware, you enter the license key, it activates it and binds it to your machine ID for a specific duration and is renewed automatically at the end of that duration.

The only time you should have to re activate a proactive license is when you change your hardware enough, which is also noted in the manuals.

Changing the boot volume will cause a re-activation with nearly every DRM System I've used.

So it's not a starforce issue, as far as starforce (or any other drm) knows, its a completely new system due to no registry entries and a changed Hardware ID due to Windows Boot Drive changing.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

DRM

I had a problem once with the DCS DRM, I sold my processor to upgrade it by something worthier, had I not launched the game that a messages popped to announce that my system was not recognized... :huh:

ED support at some point did solve it. :thumbup:

DRM for me is just an annoyance that get in the way of the one who buy games or pay for stuffs.

when you buy a DVD you get 5 FBI warnings prior to the movie if you DL it you have the starting generic... The FBI should share illegal movies and add their warnings on those, would be more effective !

No DRM protection is safe.

I had a problem once with the DCS DRM, I sold my processor to upgrade it by something worthier, had I not launched the game that a messages popped to announce that my system was not recognized... :huh:

It is clearly stated that a processor swap is 13 points. This means a new activation will be required.