Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

Newbie question about TacView: The combat videos that Growling Sidewinder (and others) post on youtube usually contain a TacView analysis of the fight (e.g.

at the 10 minute mark).

What is this "3D view" called that they are they using and which version of TacView do I need to analyze my own flights that way?

Newbie question about TacView: The combat videos that Growling Sidewinder (and others) post on youtube usually contain a TacView analysis of the fight (e.g.
at the 10 minute mark).

What is this "3D view" called that they are they using and which version of TacView do I need to analyze my own flights that way?

Click on the Aircraft symbol at the bottom and then select yourself on the drop down menu at the upper left or upper right. Choosing your opponent on the other drop down And then clicking the small icon between the two drop downs will tie you together. Then, choose the type of Dogfight view you want “Centered” … “Look At” … “Look Forward”

You should then be able to skew around the fight with your mouse.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Hi, i have a issue with tacview. It seems that my flight recordings always revert back to a size of 1KB. I delete the Export.lua file in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts and it records full length tracks but soon reverts back to 1KB. Any sugestions, thanks

Hi,

Make sure you have followed these steps exactly:

1. Delete the correct Export.lua (if you send me your dcs.log I can confirm exactly which file to delete but it sounds like you have the right one)

2. Re-install Tacview (just rerun the installer)

If you are flying online, ensure that the server's settings allow telemetry export. (If the server does not allow telemetry export you can still play back the track file generated by DCS World which will record an .acmi file for Tacview.)

If it's still not working please send your dcs.log.

Hi, i have a issue with tacview. It seems that my flight recordings always revert back to a size of 1KB. I delete the Export.lua file in Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts and it records full length tracks but soon reverts back to 1KB. Any sugestions, thanks

Make sure that the Tacview line in the export.lua is the very last line, some other export programs may either delete it or insert their lines after it and for some reason Tacview doesn’t like it and gives you the infamous 1k file

Asus ROG IX | Intel i7-9700K | RTX 2080TI | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM | Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M2 | LG 43” 4K Monitor | TrackiR | Stream Deck XL | Warthog HOTAS | Cougar MFDs x 3 | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Logitech G13| Corsair Virtuoso Wireless Headset |

Hi, I have a dedicated server running in an old PC with 8gb of RAM (DDR2, hard time finding a way to increase it to 16gb) so I wan't to keep the memory use to bare minimums.

All I want to do is to remove the default Tacview 10 minutes delay (no data recording on the server side), but I understand that in order to do so you need to have Tacview installed on the server.

So... my concern is how much more memory Tacview will use installed in my DCS dedicated server??

If I disable DataRecording for the server in the options.lua the memory usage will be the same as not having Tacview installed at all??

Thanks

Edited by pacastro

For some reason my event log has not been populating data for quite some time now... I just updated to 1.8.3 in hopes that it'd fix itself but it does not appear to be the case. Any ideas?

eventLog.thumb.JPG.1fa9d069608bad34d8c148bfa9f7bfbb.JPG

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Hi, I have a dedicated server running in an old PC with 8gb of RAM (DDR2, hard time finding a way to increase it to 16gb) so I wan't to keep the memory use to bare minimums.

All I want to do is to remove the default Tacview 10 minutes delay (no data recording on the server side), but I understand that in order to do so you need to have Tacview installed on the server.

So... my concern is how much more memory Tacview will use installed in my DCS dedicated server??

If I disable DataRecording for the server in the options.lua the memory usage will be the same as not having Tacview installed at all??

Thanks

Hi,

The memory usage should be negligible in this case even with data recording enabled. If you disable data recording it should be even more negligible.

For some reason my event log has not been populating data for quite some time now... I just updated to 1.8.3 in hopes that it'd fix itself but it does not appear to be the case. Any ideas?

Please use Flight Log instead of Event Log for now (further down in the same menu) - Event Log is a work in progress!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I would like to modify default definitions in my database, to have nice looking models instead of ugly boxes for models that come from a mod (VPC Object by voc & virpil.com). I have some trouble to follow documentation.

I can make a "Building.VPC-NATO-LIGHT TOWER v3" to have shapes as I want. Easy.

I can't however switch models to those I wish. I try many different ways, im stuck on this. What im doing wrong here?

NOTE: It is important to remember that your new definition will completely replace Tacview one. Therefore, you must duplicate all the properties, even the ones you do not intend to modify.

Where can I find all those? Those from GitHub seems not complete?

Example:

I have a model called "VP-MAN_1_Idle", I made a file ..Database\Default Properties\VP-MAN_1_Idle.xml

It's a technician, I wish to make it look like soldier M-16.

I took 'Default Properties' from GitHub. I tried many different but nothing seems to work.

In TacView it's Type: (Building), Name: (VP-P-MAN_1_Idle).

<DefaultProperties Id="Building.VP-MAN_1_Idle" Base="Core.Infantry">

..Database\Default Properities\VP-MAN_1_Idle.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<DefaultPropertiesCollection LoadingOrder="0.5">
<DefaultProperties Id="Building.VP-MAN_1_Idle" Base="Core.Infantry">
	<Criteria>
		<Name>M16</Name>
		<Name>M-16</Name>
	</Criteria>
	<Properties>
		<ShortName>M-16</ShortName>
		<LongName>M-16 Infantry</LongName>
		<FullName>M-16 Infantry</FullName>
		<EngagementRange>0</EngagementRange>
		<Shape>Core.Human.obj</Shape>
		<Color>Blue</Color>	<!-- Default Color -->
	</Properties>
</DefaultProperties>
</DefaultPropertiesCollection>

I’ve been using the demo of this for the past week. I’m really impressed with it. Nice work. As an individual user, the highest level I would conceivably need is Advanced, correct? The Enterprise version is mainly for teams and multiple users?

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Have been using TACVIEW for 10 years I have to say its always added a lot to my ability to figure out WTF happened after the event

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I have a model called "VP-MAN_1_Idle", I made a file ..Database\Default Properties\VP-MAN_1_Idle.xml

It's a technician, I wish to make it look like soldier M-16.

I took 'Default Properties' from GitHub. I tried many different but nothing seems to work.

In TacView it's Type: (Building), Name: (VP-P-MAN_1_Idle).

Hi Glow, in your case, if I understand correctly, you are not trying to replace an existing definition but simply make VP-MAN_1_Idle appear as an M-16. So this is all that needs to appear in your xml file:

<DefaultProperties Id="Other.VP-MAN_1_Idle" Base="Other.M-16">
	<Criteria>
		<Name>VP-MAN_1_Idle</Name>
	</Criteria>
</DefaultProperties>

Let me know if this helps!

I’ve been using the demo of this for the past week. I’m really impressed with it. Nice work. As an individual user, the highest level I would conceivably need is Advanced, correct? The Enterprise version is mainly for teams and multiple users?

That's correct, Advanced is the highest level for an individual user. The Enterprise version is for companies and organizations. The Advanced version has team-oriented features such as Online Debriefing.

Thanks for rep. This code you give, made my VP-MAN_1_Idle to disappear completely. That helped me a bit and put me in right direction but I haven't fully succeeded with loading this M16 model.

I make a VP-MAN_1_Idle looks like a domino block (guys by a fire truck on screenshot).

All other object like those, I resized to proper sizes and I'm happy from the results.

I had a trouble to have a simple object loaded as an object with a model (the one that have a label popping up) or object that have a model (shape .obj file in Tacview) to be loaded as simple object (the one I could adjust sizes). I still don't know how to do this switch or is it even possible.

Modeled object are dynamically scaled, are appearing bigger on distance. Simple object can't do that, and this is useful.

Not all static models are shown in TacView (not a bug), what is fine. To many objects would make view crowded.

To make some objects disappear is a good feature to have for sure.

I see, there is a possibility to load custom object. I haven't explored this feature but good to have too.

New idea:

I wish to have automatically loaded, some static objects from airports, like radars or searchlight trucks, etc every time I open my asmi files. I will try to create a file to load those automatically, but this will need some extra work with coordinates of all those map static objects. I'm not sure is it possible.

Mods:

Some mods are a messy, that for sure. Models not appear properly or at all. Not a big issue for me. All I need is to have those few that work fine - small boards to mark short-ways on airports for example.

Issues:

Biggest issue I found, was with a Russian letter in object name. VP-URAL AПA. Tacview can't read VP-URAL АПА.xml - I use Windows10 Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V.

Other problem was with Container_40_1x1_Tan (see screenshot). This object is read by Tacview as container, and the model is set automatically but I cant make it a simply object and setup a proper sizes. You can see on a screenshot that those containers look different.

Album with screenshots

In attachment few database files for modded objects taht come from a mod: VPC Object by voc & virpil.com

Database.zip

1384620065_tacviewdatabase19.thumb.jpg.0f2ffa7fa504a81aed94fa9c6fbb1483.jpg

1287588338_tacviewdatabase20.thumb.jpg.8663e59b59039eae5550762c5bb7685c.jpg

Hey Glow,

I wonder if VP-MAN_1_Idle is incorrectly typed - in particular if it is of type Building instead of Infantry? To get around that issue, try this code instead:

<DefaultProperties Id="Other.VP-MAN_1_Idle" Base="Core.Default">
	<Criteria>
		<Name>VP-MAN_1_Idle</Name>
	</Criteria>
	<Properties>
		<AdditionalType>Infantry</AdditionalType>
		<Shape>Core.Infantry.obj</Shape>
	</Properties>
</DefaultProperties>

Names with Russian characters like VP-URAL AПA should be no problem for Tacview. I double-checked and Tacview can read it. I see that you have put encoding="UTF-8" in your XML which is perfect, but is your text editor set to encode in UTF-8 as well?

LSO view with Supercarrier?

Is there a way to use the LSO view with Supercarrier? I have a mission with both the Stennis and the Roosevelt. The LSO view still works with the Stennis, but does not seem to work with the Roosevelt...picking cockpit view results in a view looking forward from the ship.

Thanks!

ColdFront_WI

Home-built Hornet pit, detailed plans available on GitHub

Virpil WarBRD base, TM Hornet/Warthog grip, TM Warthog Throttle, Logitech G Pro rudder pedals

MSI MPG Z390M, i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz with Noctua NH-D15, RTX 2080ti FE, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Reverb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Other problem was with Container_40_1x1_Tan (see screenshot). This object is read by Tacview as container, and the model is set automatically but I cant make it a simply object and setup a proper sizes. You can see on a screenshot that those containers look different.

Can you send me this .acmi file? Then I'll be able to play around with it on my end so I can be sure of what I'm telling you. :-)

Is there a way to use the LSO view with Supercarrier? I have a mission with both the Stennis and the Roosevelt. The LSO view still works with the Stennis, but does not seem to work with the Roosevelt...picking cockpit view results in a view looking forward from the ship.

Thanks!

Yes we have not yet updated the add-on for the supercarriers, we will do so shortly!

Yes we have not yet updated the add-on for the supercarriers, we will do so shortly!

Excellent, thanks for all your work!

ColdFront_WI

Home-built Hornet pit, detailed plans available on GitHub

Virpil WarBRD base, TM Hornet/Warthog grip, TM Warthog Throttle, Logitech G Pro rudder pedals

MSI MPG Z390M, i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz with Noctua NH-D15, RTX 2080ti FE, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Reverb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ouch wish id waited for the sale

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Woot, perfect timing. I pulled the trigger and licensed it.

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Feature suggestion

@BuzyBee it would be nice to have the option to show the heading crossing angle, lateral separation and target aspect between two selected objects.

HCA - number of degrees between the objects' headings

TA - TA = 180 - AA

LS - LS = aspect * slant range * 100 (whichever aspect is less than 90°)

Is there a better tutorial for TacView? I'm trying to get the telemetry data to show up on the plane's information panel where it shows name/type/etc.

Also trying to remove some of the Telemetry data listed in the Telemetry panel such as fuel, heading, etc.

I've tried searching and checking the FAQ/Tutorials on the forums but those were not very helpful.