Multiseat licensing

Galwran

Have you thought about the license model for the F-14s and the WSO/RIO functionality?

Most of us fanboys will of course buy the module, but I for one have a lot of friends with inadequate flight sim hardware and I'm certain that they will not buy a full price module. However, even though they lack proper HOTAS and such, they are interested in simulators.

What if us, the aviators, could do something for this? Let's say that the full module will cost 50$. It would be great, if for extra 20$ you could expand your license so that anyone with the basic DCS World (maybe even without any paid modules) would be able to jump in as a WSO/RIO.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Galwran

So basically you would buy a licence for being able to pick up hitchhikers? :)

I want thinking about similar thing, but this is maybe a question for ED and not LS.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

I hope we will also be able to reverse the roles, have for the first time a PROPER IA for flying the aircraft while we do the RIO (i'm sure a lot of options can be possible to communicate with the pilot), i don't always want to be the leader/pilot...

But for the licensing idea i'm not sure that it will be done, Free RIO yes or only if you buy the Tomcat yes but it will cause too much trouble to make half i think

CPU : I7 6700k, MB : MSI Z170A GAMING M3, GC : EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2 GAMING iCX, RAM : DDR4 HyperX Fury 4 x 8 Go 2666 MHz CAS 15, STORAGE : Windows 10 on SSD, games on HDDs.

Hardware used for DCS : Pro, Saitek pro flight rudder, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift.

Own : A-10C, Black Shark (BS1 to BS2), P-51D, FC3, UH-1H, Combined Arms, Mi-8MTV2, AV-8B, M-2000C, F/A-18C, Hawk T.1A

Want : F-14 Tomcat, Yak-52, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, F-5E, MiG-21Bis, F-86F, MAC, F-16C, F-15E.

I like this idea. A WSO/RIO doesn't need a joystick. I hope something like this is possible without too much trouble.

How is the NFO going to draw circles on his screen without his joystick?

F-14D:

F_14DNFO_zpsyz9kquzm.jpg

F-14B:

f14_panel_02_zpscddtguqz.jpg

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

• ED Team
Have you thought about the license model for the F-14s and the WSO/RIO functionality?

Most of us fanboys will of course buy the module, but I for one have a lot of friends with inadequate flight sim hardware and I'm certain that they will not buy a full price module. However, even though they lack proper HOTAS and such, they are interested in simulators.

What if us, the aviators, could do something for this? Let's say that the full module will cost 50$. It would be great, if for extra 20$ you could expand your license so that anyone with the basic DCS World (maybe even without any paid modules) would be able to jump in as a WSO/RIO.

Any thoughts?

I can see both sides... I kinda like the idea of being able to just buy the WSO ride... but it sounds like lots of extra work, so in the long run it might out weight the benefits... Maybe a pre-order bonus, limited time bonus key to share with your friends so for 14 days they can go for a ride with your and see if they like it :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I guess I will pay Devil's Advocate here and simply state that one could always wait for a sale to pickup an additional copy for a buddy to play as your RIO.

If LNS can figure out a way to do it otherwise, more power to them.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

A quarter price for an RIO only version AND the full version pilot gets to assign the callsign to the RIO.

"What's our distance to base there Electric Boogaloo?"

There's the price of admission right there, for me at least :P

This is an interesting question. The default answer would be to require the full module purchase for all seats. But RoF took an interesting approach to the same question with gunners. There, anyone can gun in any plane in MP but in order to fly it you have to buy it. Obviously gunner seats in RoF aren't nearly as complicated as an F-14 RIO (or WSO for the AH-1W and Mi-24P), but it might still be an option worth exploring. The ultimate question here is how hard would it be to program in and how would it likely affect sales. My guess is they will require a full purchase though. Doing the RoF method is more risky and more time consuming.

well, as much as i like some ideas, i actualy hope everyone has to buy it, even if he/she only want to sit on the backseat.

maybe one exception for doorgunners on the huey and possible other airframes with gunners.

why? simply because we have so far:

- hawk

- mi-8

- uh-1h

- c-101

- L-39 on the horizon

- F-14 in the making

- a lot more to come with 2+ crew

so if for every module there would be a "copilot only" purchase option, you can easily see how complicated things will get.

dont get me wrong, i would love to have the option to take someone for a ride in the backseat, where he can sit, watch, but otherwise is unable to do anything.

regards,

RR

PS:

as revelation said, wait for a sale if you need another liscence, we all know those sales are every 3 month and some speed-sales in between.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Why not allow client backseat for free in multiplayer?

I wouldn't think this would reduce sales as I can't imagine anyone buying a module simply to be in the back seat. And it would probably increase the popularity of the module (and therefore sales) overall.

Multi-licence packages are a great idea from a virtual squadrons perspective but probably would reduce overall revenue as I think squadrons converting to f-14 would probably all buy their own licences anyway. (again, who would pay money just for the back seat?)

Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit | i7-4790K@4GHz | 8GB RAM | GTX970 347.52

Why not allow client backseat for free in multiplayer?

I wouldn't think this would reduce sales as I can't imagine anyone buying a module simply to be in the back seat. And it would probably increase the popularity of the module (and therefore sales) overall.

I agree. I think I know a few that would definitely like to ride along if it were free, might even get them to buy a few modules, but would not buy the module just to sit in the back seat.

But, of course, I don't want to rob LNS of some well earned money though.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why not allow client backseat for free in multiplayer? I wouldn't think this would reduce sales as I can't imagine anyone buying a module simply to be in the back seat. And it would probably increase the popularity of the module (and therefore sales) overall.

I presume it would reduce the sales as I don't see why the people intending to fly the RIO position in MP with their buddies wouldn't buy the whole module if they had no other choice?

I'm not against the idea, but to be able to offer this, it has to be supported by the DCS with the upcoming multi-crew support (like having licenses dedicated to only some crewable positions of a module) and it sounds like having a lot of extra complications to solve. I'm not convinced it's a viable thing to do unless there were multiple modules in which this limited usage would make sense.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

^Yes but how many people only want to be a RIO, and never fly the plane themselves?

(I don't know!)

Yes you might lose some sales, but you also might gain some because the back seat works like a demo/teaser.

Unfortunately it can be hard to convince some westerners to try the DCS free planes right now, they don't want to fly a Soviet jet or unarmed prop trainer.

Edited by emg

^Yes but how many people only want to be a RIO, and never fly the plane themselves?

(I don't know!)

Yes you might lose some sales, but you also might gain some because the back seat works like a demo/teaser.

Unfortunately it can be hard to convince some westerners to try the DCS free planes right now, they don't want to fly a Soviet jet or unarmed prop trainer.

People come to DCS to FLY not to be relegated to the back seat. There are plenty of modules people can buy, often for very little, to get an experience with Western aircraft. Most of the "new people" to DCS will try FC3 aircraft for their lack of ASM. Most people that are new to sims do not want to have to press a bunch of buttons to drop a bomb, etc....

I don't think LNS needs to make the backseat available to anyone who doesn't own the full module. I don't think LNS will lose any sales going that approach. I've yet to meet anyone that just wants to be only a RIO.

Sure, I'll do it a couple of times, but my joy is in flying.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

People come to DCS to FLY not to be relegated to the back seat. There are plenty of modules people can buy, often for very little, to get an experience with Western aircraft. Most of the "new people" to DCS will try FC3 aircraft for their lack of ASM. Most people that are new to sims do not want to have to press a bunch of buttons to drop a bomb, etc....

I don't think LNS needs to make the backseat available to anyone who doesn't own the full module. I don't think LNS will lose any sales going that approach. I've yet to meet anyone that just wants to be only a RIO.

Sure, I'll do it a couple of times, but my joy is in flying.

Im confident that I will buy two copies... I got a friend whos really not into simming and got no gear for it whatsoever! But Im sure he would enjoy a campaign in the backseat...... Im not really all in for a ''cheaper'' option for the ones who want to be a RIO only, I dont see the great deal with it...

Im more then happy to support the devs on this thing by funding for two modules.

If ppl want to be a RIO only, i think they should just buy the module, full price and thats it..... nuff said.

• Like 1