DCS: F-5E!

Python

Here's one for you, does anyone know what sort of look-down capability the AN/APQ-159 has? And if BST will be modeling the ground clutter that we see in the manual?

Given its a straight pulse radar then very limited. It would rely on judicious pilot use of manual gain control and use of antenna elevation to maximize the use of side lobes (keeps target out of main beam clutter). lookdown detection ranges will be very low.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If things like the Trainer aircraft (Hawk/L-39/C-101) and the older jets (mig-15 and F-86) can get buy with decent number of sales id say the F-5E will probably do better.

I'm pretty sure the MiG-15 & F-86 are more popular amongst people than the F-5E, both of them being much more well known aircraft.

I'm pretty sure the MiG-15 & F-86 are more popular amongst people than the F-5E, both of them being much more well known aircraft.

Well my main reason for wanting the F-5E is as a direct opponent to the MiG-21, which should improve the MiG-21 experience too.

Of course it helps that the F-5 is an iconic plane to me.

Also, Top Gun.:pilotfly:

Both the Mig-15 and F-86 are very iconic aircraft.

But so is the F-5E

with up to 30 nations having used the F-5 as a combat aircraft (with a few more using it in aggressor role or trainer role)

And the F-5E is also known from a movie or two.

But the F-5E is far more capable then the mig-15 and F-86 is.

Both in the air-air and air-ground roles.

So the F-5E is not as limited in the scenarios as the Mig-15 and F-86 is.

Both the Mig-15 and F-86 are very iconic aircraft.

But so is the F-5E

with up to 30 nations having used the F-5 as a combat aircraft (with a few more using it in aggressor role or trainer role)

And the F-5E is also known from a movie or two.

But the F-5E is far more capable then the mig-15 and F-86 is.

Both in the air-air and air-ground roles.

So the F-5E is not as limited in the scenarios as the Mig-15 and F-86 is.

Of course F-5 is more capable, its several generations newer, but thats no reason for it being a more iconic aircraft which it is not.

Mention the Korean war to someone and chances are good that the first thing that springs to their mind is the MiG & Sabre. To many they define that war. Can't really say the same about the F-5E.

As for Top Gun, most people probably don't think of the F-5E when that is mentioned, instead another rather more well known aircraft should spring to mind ;) (After the initial thought of Tom Cruise of course ;) )

[ame]

[/ame]

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Of course F-5 is more capable, its several generations newer, but thats no reason for it being a more iconic aircraft which it is not.

Mention the Korean war to someone and chances are good that the first thing that springs to their mind is the MiG & Sabre. To many they define that war. Can't really say the same about the F-5E.

As for Top Gun, most people probably don't think of the F-5E when that is mentioned, instead another rather more well known aircraft should spring to mind ;) (After the initial thought of Tom Cruise of course ;) )

First.

I never said the F-5E is more iconic i just stated that the F-5E was also icons an that i thought the F-5E will sell as well or better then the F-86 or Mig-15.

And also it depends on nationality .

Not All nationalities have big fascination with the Korean war / Mig-15 Vs F-86.

For Someone from a nation that fought in the Korean war sure the aircraft there are extra Iconic.

But for someone from a nation that did not take part in the Korean war they most likely not as interested in the war.

And if you ask someone from a nation that Operated the F-5E but that did not take part in the korean war id say its likely they would find the F-5E more iconic then the F-86 or Mig-15.

And also i never said the F-5 was more iconic in Top gun then the F-14...

I never even mentioned top gun by name.

Edited by mattebubben

I'm especially interested in the F-5, given that Canada used, manufactured, and exported (a variant of) it - and Canada was is the Korean war.

So - yeah - I can see nationality being a factor in interest

Though Canada used, manufactured, and exported a F-86 variant aswell ^^.

(Canadair Sabre)

Though the F-5 is much more recent in Canadian service and also served for a longer time.

And while many might remember seeing F-5s in canadian skies not as many would remember seeing canadian sabres.

I live in Sweden and as such my nation used Neither.

But Ive always liked the F-5.

While ive never had any real interest in the F-86.

First.

I never said the F-5E is more iconic i just stated that the F-5E was also icons an that i thought the F-5E will sell as well or better then the F-86 or Mig-15.

And also it depends on nationality .

Not All nationalities have big fascination with the Korean war / Mig-15 Vs F-86.

For Someone from a nation that fought in the Korean war sure the aircraft there are extra Iconic.

But for someone from a nation that did not take part in the Korean war they most likely not as interested in the war.

And if you ask someone from a nation that Operated the F-5E but that did not take part in the korean war id say its likely they would find the F-5E more iconic then the F-86 or Mig-15.

And also i never said the F-5 was more iconic in Top gun then the F-14...

I never even mentioned top gun by name.

F86 also served as export to many nations post the korean war, including many that didnt take part in it. the sabre is a actually to me more interesting than the mig, because we have a post korean Variant. The block 35 never made it to korea, as it went into service by late 1953. Its also a variant thats retrofitted with First Generation Sidewinders, and the F35 features improvements to its fighter bombing capabilities. it has LABS for toss bombing, and a automatic bombing mode that goes along with the manually depressed pipper bombing mode. This automatic bombing computer is basically a very early ccrp mode.

Now even though in terms of air frame and Engine its does match that of the F86F-30 the last and most matured vatiant used in korea but fact of matter the F86F35 is still post korean arguably, due to missing out on the war and getting some upgrades like missiles which would have been available until 1956.

The sabre saw action in the Taiwain straight crisis of 1958.

In fact the F86F specifically the block 35 Sabre was variant the one used by Colonel Muhammed Mahmud Alam from the Indo Pakistani war of 1965. an ace who scored 9 kills with his sabre, fighting against indian flown Hawker Hunters, which would have had superior performance considering they were mostly F56 ( export Mk6) variants.

those are justa couple of examples of the sabres service post korea. so while the sabre and mig are icons of the korean war era, its service and combat life did by no means end there. so yes the sabre is also known outside of the korean war.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

F86 also served as export to many nations post the korean war, including many that didnt take part in it. the sabre is a actually to me more interesting than the mig, because we have a post korean Variant. The block 35 never made it to korea, as it went into service by late 1953. Its also a variant thats retrofitted with First Generation Sidewinders, and the F35 features improvements to its fighter bombing capabilities. it has LABS for toss bombing, and a automatic bombing mode that goes along with the manually depressed pipper bombing mode. This automatic bombing computer is basically a very early ccrp mode.

Now even though in terms of air frame and Engine its does match that of the F86F-30 the last and most matured vatiant used in korea but fact of matter the F86F35 is still post korean arguably, due to missing out on the war and getting some upgrades like missiles which would have been available until 1956.

The sabre saw action in the Taiwain straight crisis of 1958.

In fact the F86F specifically the block 35 Sabre was variant the one used by Colonel Muhammed Mahmud Alam from the Indo Pakistani war of 1965. an ace who scored 9 kills with his sabre, fighting against indian flown Hawker Hunters.

those are justa couple of examples of the sabres service post korea. so while the sabre and mig are icons of the korean war era, its service and combat life did by no means end there. so yes the sabre is also known outside of the korean war.

Im well aware for the long service life of the Sabre.

And i never said anything stating otherwise =P.

And yes plenty of ppl who got the F-86 very likely did it to get to fly an airplane their airforce had operated.

Rather then to Reenact the Korean war.

But he used the korean war as an example to why the F-86 and Mig-15 were icons and i was simply responding to that comment.

Edited by mattebubben

:poster_offtopic:

please discuss this somewhere else, I'm here for the F-5E

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] Waiting to build a F/A-18C home-pit...

ex - Swiss Air Force Pilatus PC-21 Ground Crew

SFM? AFM? EFM?? What's this?

i7-5960X (8 core @3.00GHz)¦32GB DDR4 RAM¦Asus X99-WS/IPMI¦2x GTX970 4GB SLI¦Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD¦TrackIR 5 Pro¦TM Warthog¦MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

:poster_offtopic:

please discuss this somewhere else, I'm here for the F-5E

well when threres no new news things tend to go off topic

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Belsimtek new f-5e?

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,