First impressions of 1.5 Beta

No real performance difference on my end. I assume the difference will be noticeable with lots of units. I already had 80-120 frame rates in the old version. Start up time is significantly longer due to the login feature. This is something I really dislike and hope it goes away.

You can get into DCS by clicking the X to skip login directly, only MP and Module Manager will require a login.

Keep in mind through current updates it seems servers are a bit stressed and it will get better the 1.5 Update is through.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWESOME PERFORMANCE ;)

mostly 121fps with 1440p, 16x/4x, Ultra etc... plain jawdropping performance

!!with all Autostart ON, Avira ALL ON, Backgroundtasks etc... non overclocked and GPU actually 10% downclocked

...when I oc max, it really doesnt show that much difference anymore as it used to, maybe it's just my plain excitement or DCS has become less max-frequency dependant.

It plain rocks and blows me off my socks :)

Hut ab !

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Come on, guys. I have to go to work in a few hours. It's 4 in the morning and I NEED to get some sleep. If I go in late, they're going to KNOW I was up all night flying. I'll get fired for sure. Couldn't ED wait until Friday night?

Ah, what the heck. I'll just call in air-sick or something.

ED, you guys have one helluva flight sim here! With everything maxed out, in downtown Sochi, I got FPS around 120. Totally awesome images. So smooth!

I couldn't install my L-39 because I can't login using my "=Mac=" name. I CAN login to the website but not through the DCS program. So I can't install the L-39. (Exiting the login and trying to log in again, the = signs have been turned into threes on each side of Mac.)

Anyway, I got to get back flying for, okay, another hour..... Then it's sleep time....

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

im getting better FPS in cockpit sometimes around 75+ with high graphics settings :) but slightly less FPS in external views than in previous DCS. Looks very sharp ground objects seem to stand out more it seems, things like buildings look great from altitude. Lots of differences I have noticed afterburner effects, the way the A.I behaves when damaged, I shot down an FW-190 last night in the mustang and it seemed as though his performance tailed off slightly after being hit before I finished him off, maybe?

Very very impressed. I was expecting the model visibility option to be more effective maybe, perhaps this is still to be worked on? What does everybody else think?

Overall im very happy with the direction this is heading.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I slept 3 hours. Flying over the water is just incredible, the sense of speed is something i've never have seen before. Smoke effects are soo beautiful. Didnt had a performance increase but i guess it's because of the higher settings. Still 60fps at 1080p so thats great.

Only thing what i miss is the sonic boom and its vapor effect. Thanks ED!! Cant wait for tonight

I'd like to hear from 4k display users.

4k withG-Sync. All maxed out 40+ in most scenery, e.g. on airport or over Tiblisi, only on ultra visibility a light impact if you go really high up.

Overall the performance is stunning!

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Incredibly impressive for a first cut open beta!!

I too have huge FPS gains with everything maxed. Certainly early days yet and still a lot more testing required with multiple objects/ units, cities, multi-player and the like, but wow!! Nothing below 70 FPS so far and that was in the M-i8 low and fast. Other aircraft have been much higher FPS. I've even had as high as 170 FPS!!

I only have a GTX 680 and was going to stop and pick up a GTX 980 TI on the way home today, but thought I'd better double check the physical dimensions inside my box. Will now wait see how further testing goes, but might not need one just yet (will have to see how we go with NTTR though).

Finally, thanks ED. Really appreciate what has gone into getting this so good already. Must be just about time for "tea and medals" at ED :thumbup:

I do have a top end card - GTX 980 TI, but with internal views I am seeing 148 FPS, and although with the DoF on, external views slow right down - which is obviously something yet to be sorted by ED, I really didn't expect to be able to run all the settings maxed out and still get such a huge gain in performance.

Keep in mind Depth of Field needs huge post processing power. From what I understand it is primarily intended for "beauty shots" and/or video production (from Tracks) opposed to "normal" flying.

BTW need to test rendering a video from a track later this weekend... :D

Shagrat

Damn ED...the EDGE engine is fantastic. I love the bokeh version of the DOF. Looks so beautiful. Perfect screenshot galore. Very nicely done with the smoke/flares etc. The Mig 29 cockpit is fantastic. A few bugs/crashes but all in all....great job. Can't be easy adaptng your huge code base to a totally new platform.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Very very impressed. I was expecting the model visibility option to be more effective maybe, perhaps this is still to be worked on? What does everybody else think?

Have you tried setting the option to "Enlarged" in the video options? I need to test this out myself TBH, the dueling quickstart mission for the P51D vs AI Dora would be a good start I think.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Have you tried setting the option to "Enlarged" in the video options? I need to test this out myself TBH, the dueling quickstart mission for the P51D vs AI Dora would be a good start I think.

Yeah I've set to the enlarged option but am still finding it really difficult to pick out the target without labels. Which in fairness is true to life but A.I always seems to have perfect vision. Once I spot the target I'm normally ok and I can keep track of him. But if he makes a sudden direction change and goes vertical for example I loose him.

Once again ED very pleased with 1.5 it's looking really good.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I like it guys. Fantastic job and much to come!! Thank you ED!:D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Unbelievable...I can't believe how much of a difference this update has made.

I was on the verge of buying a new i5 processor because my performance was so bad before, and now I'm getting 50-60fps on the ground! Sometimes 100+ in the air, even with a lot of stuff going on. It's amazing!

And I'm not sacrificing any graphical fidelity to get those frames. The game looks bloody beautiful.

Started to notice a few bugs creeping through, but of course that's to be expected and I'm doing my best to isolate the causes and report them in the bug tracker.

To all the ED team, you've absolutely outdone yourselves. A huge thank you from me! Well done :)

Edited by BritTorrent

I was expecting the model visibility option to be more effective maybe, perhaps this is still to be worked on? What does everybody else think?

Overall im very happy with the direction this is heading.

Same here, the enlarged option only affects very distant targets. For usual dogfight distances 1-2 kms I can see only a small improvement that is probably related to the better graphics/contrast.

The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life to experience all three at the same time.

My initial impression after just a few minutes - WOW, this is amazing!

Loaded up a cold start flight in the KA-50. Previously, I would start with fps little over 100, then when the rotors started spinning it would drop down into the 70's and pretty much stay there.

This time, when the mission loaded my fps was around 123 fps, started it up, rotors start spinning, and no drop in fps, stayed around 123 fps for the flight. And it looked gorgeous!

Just a quick free flight around the airfield with a few other aircraft around, but very impressive.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My initial impression after just a few minutes - WOW, this is amazing!

Loaded up a cold start flight in the KA-50. Previously, I would start with fps little over 100, then when the rotors started spinning it would drop down into the 70's and pretty much stay there.

This time, when the mission loaded my fps was around 123 fps, started it up, rotors start spinning, and no drop in fps, stayed around 123 fps for the flight. And it looked gorgeous!

Just a quick free flight around the airfield with a few other aircraft around, but very impressive.

Is the KA-50 cockpit a reworked one from a modder ? I haven't tried it yet, but seems that the one for the A-10 is the Ricardo's war horse mod.

Is the KA-50 cockpit a reworked one from a modder ? I haven't tried it yet, but seems that the one for the A-10 is the Ricardo's war horse mod.

It would appear to me to be the same cockpit as what I had previously.

Edit: I would also note I just copied my input folder out of saved games into the open beta folder, and my controls all seem to be working fine , at least what little I have used them so far...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Some kind of sinister black magic has been performed, the fps gains in the Oculus rift I just witnessed are not natural, it didn't even make the fans on my Graphics card spin, the sim didn't skip a single beat, very slight flickering judder with fast head movement but the immersion just overwhelms small stuff like that, roll on DCS2 and oculus CV1

I am impressed to say the least - this is without doubt the most amazing free update I've ever had for any software ever.

Prettier? Check.

Faster? Wasn't expecting, but check.

So impressed I purchased another module to support the devs? Check.

Lt. Commander Block: Every aerial photo and recon report indicate a defensive arsenal in the D, and perhaps negative C, categories. There's also some anti-aircraft squadrons.

Admiral Benson: I don't have a clue what you're talkin' about, Phil. Not a clue. I have a shell the size of a fist in my head. Pork Chop Hill. The only way I can make this toupee to stay on is by magnetizing the entire upper left quadrant of my skull, so you just go ahead and do what you do.

Some kind of sinister black magic has been performed, the fps gains in the Oculus rift I just witnessed are not natural, it didn't even make the fans on my Graphics card spin, the sim didn't skip a single beat, very slight flickering judder with fast head movement but the immersion just overwhelms small stuff like that, roll on DCS2 and oculus CV1

Once I forced vsync off in the nvidia control panel and got in the rift without it crashing it was the best flying experience in the rift I have had. It was silky smooth. I pressed ctrl-pause to see if I could see the framerate in the rift. I could and it was 150fps on the su25t evening landing scenario on high settings.

It would appear to me to be the same cockpit as what I had previously.

Edit: I would also note I just copied my input folder out of saved games into the open beta folder, and my controls all seem to be working fine , at least what little I have used them so far...

Thanks for the info, this night I'll try it myself :thumbup: