Tacca's NVG mod for 2.5+

On 3/31/2023 at 12:13 AM, tomeye said:

What I miss from previous versions is the noise which used to feel more realistic/noisy. Although I 've never seen a real NVG 😀

Really simple fix to make the current version have more noise, 

Reduce the lift value and/or increase the nvg_noise value.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 160813.png

8 hours ago, Yuma said:

Hopefully @tacca is aware of the current issues with Open Beta Multi Thread VR Quad view issues with DFR in the Varjo Aero… Don’t know if he got a VR headset yet

https://discord.com/channels/839478779256897546/1089324274118033488

What discord group is that from, I can't access the post. And not sure if you are refering to me about getting a VR headset but if so I havent been able to afford the GPU/VR headset cost the last 3 years so unlikely to be any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still the 2-circle view in VR...anyway, need to adjust the noise and the sharpness myself.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

15 hours ago, Yuma said:

Hopefully @tacca is aware of the current issues with Open Beta Multi Thread VR Quad view issues with DFR in the Varjo Aero… Don’t know if he got a VR headset yet

https://discord.com/channels/839478779256897546/1089324274118033488

@YumaThe issue is that DCS is applying effects to the focus view the same as it is applying them to the peripheral view, and the same as it would if it were applying them to just stereo view.  This is a no-no per the Varjo SDK documentation and is the same reason that effects like Bloom and Lens Effects also mess with the focus display.  

https://developer.varjo.com/docs/get-started/Post-processing

You can set Render Mode = 0, which will remove the effect entirely, but you can't only remove it for just the focus area.

Just for @tacca's edification..  this has nothing to do with your mod.  

This is the 'issue' being referenced.

nullimage.png

Edited by mjfrisby

12 hours ago, tacca said:

Really simple fix to make the current version have more noise, 

Reduce the lift value and/or increase the nvg_noise value.

Screenshot 2023-04-02 160813.png

What discord group is that from, I can't access the post. And not sure if you are refering to me about getting a VR headset but if so I havent been able to afford the GPU/VR headset cost the last 3 years so unlikely to be any time soon.

Why do you have two values per setting? Are these something like min/max?

On 4/3/2023 at 5:05 AM, tomeye said:

Why do you have two values per setting? Are these something like min/max?

its a hold over from an old version of the mod (DCS2.2) where there was two different NVG effects depending whether you were in a NATO or Soviet aircraft. I've yet to look into whether DCS still implements this using the NVD_HDR.fx file or elsewhere

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to use this mod with the Varjo Aero to solve the issue above, but these pictures are in 2d and display the same problem.  With no moon the trees are basically black.  First picture is no moon with mod gain all the way up, second is full moon with mod default gain and third is stock DCS no moon default gain.  Pictures taken in 2d for testing, but same results in the Aero.  

Screen_230417_221313.png

Screen_230417_221503.png

Screen_230417_222033.png

19 hours ago, 01G8R said:

I'm trying to use this mod with the Varjo Aero to solve the issue above, but these pictures are in 2d and display the same problem.  With no moon the trees are basically black.  First picture is no moon with mod gain all the way up, second is full moon with mod default gain and third is stock DCS no moon default gain.  Pictures taken in 2d for testing, but same results in the Aero.  

I'm still on the old version of the mod (for 2.7.11) and don't have this issue.

I haven't tried the new version yet though.

Might be one of the changes since then?

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

• 4 weeks later...

Does this work with the A-10A? If so, how in the world do you turn it on?

RH small.jpg GW vet small.jpg 

"There is no problem that can't be solved with the proper application of the correct amount of explosives." Every Demo NCO.

Ryzen 7-5700X, RTX 3060Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB M.2 SSD, Asus 5G/WIFI 6 router, Pico 4 wired to router (CAT 8/USB C).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/2/2023 at 3:20 PM, mjfrisby said:

@YumaThe issue is that DCS is applying effects to the focus view the same as it is applying them to the peripheral view, and the same as it would if it were applying them to just stereo view.  This is a no-no per the Varjo SDK documentation and is the same reason that effects like Bloom and Lens Effects also mess with the focus display.  

https://developer.varjo.com/docs/get-started/Post-processing

You can set Render Mode = 0, which will remove the effect entirely, but you can't only remove it for just the focus area.

Just for @tacca's edification..  this has nothing to do with your mod.  

This is the 'issue' being referenced.

nullimage.png

is there any solution for this artifact?

image.png.e80b9fbcf6c4b5f9bce397b269ebff9f.png

Edited by Heidi

• 1 month later...

for some reason I cant change the line (182)  as required in notepad++ running as admin   Taccas-DCS-NVG-Mod 1.4.zip

Edited by Jeb

I9-9900k, 32MB, RTX2070S, 2560x1440 165hz monitor, track IR, Grass Monkey wireless Puck, Virpil T50-CM3,  Winwing Superlibra stick with Hornet and Viper grip, Winwing Orion2 with Hornet, and F15E grip, Winwing PTO, home made 2060 mounts,  Virpill ACE interceptor pedals

Personally, I think that I like the noise in version 1.2.0 more than in the latest version 1.4, which I see as very artificial and not the typical noise of electronic equipment. Please note that this is constructive criticism. Either way, great job mate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Please!!! Please!!!! can anyone direct me to a detailed video of how to install the NVG'S with OVGME or a detailed step by step instructions!!! Screen shots would help greatly!!! I've been trying to get this Mod to work for ( 10 days ). I'm not even sure should it go into saved game section or the ED installation section, what folders I need to make myself where to put them.

Thanks In Advance,

Dartagnan

If its possible to fix it for 2.9, please try to see if it could be possible to add a parameter for controlling the distance between each each eyepiece in VR, it was possible in 3Dmigoto VR Mod and was called convergence in that.

If that mod perhaps now is dead with the release of 2.9 then this mod is my only hope for non-fullview NVGs in DCS until ED finally decides to add it themselves in the core.

1 hour ago, Fisherman82 said:

If its possible to fix it for 2.9, please try to see if it could be possible to add a parameter for controlling the distance between each each eyepiece in VR, it was possible in 3Dmigoto VR Mod and was called convergence in that.

If that mod perhaps now is dead with the release of 2.9 then this mod is my only hope for non-fullview NVGs in DCS until ED finally decides to add it themselves in the core.

The new fixed vanilla ingame NVG are exactly that, not full view. I actually like it. 

Edited by Lt_Jaeger