Exhaust flaming constantly

Rongor

Hi there. Since I started flying in DCS 2, I noticed that I almost always get the exhaust on fire while starting up the Huey. It doesn't happen with autostart so I guess it is me. Still I am certain to startup that helo the way I ever did before.

I think it's happening in the engine spool up phase, while I am slowly turning that throttle twist grip open. I am not doing it really quickly, in RL you turn it open much more quickly.

So the exhaust catches fire and it doesn't trigger any warning or caution. All temperature gauges indicate nominal values. I can fly normally with that fire in the back.

I can even shut down engines and start them up again and continue normal operation.

Is this just a texture problem or stuff? flaming instead of visual exhaust emmisions?

Roll your throttle to take it out of the stop.

Roll it back to idle.

Dont keep starter pressed in after you reach 40% on your Gas Producer gauge and let the engine stabalize in idle before rolling the throttle to full on:thumbup:

I found it was happening to me in 1.5 and I got more patient with start up

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Roll it back to idle.

Dont keep starter pressed in after you reach 40% on your Gas Producer gauge

That is exactly what I am doing.

It really seems to be connected to that twist to fully open. The speed you have to do it now is way too slow. I claim that this wasn't the case in the preceding versions.

I also did that but my gf is mocking me for flying with that flame in the back. Not cool.

Give it time; Glorious 80's camp grows on everyone. I give her a week until she's listening to Synth and using terms like "Bogus."

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Hi there. Since I started flying in DCS 2, I noticed that I almost always get the exhaust on fire while starting up the Huey. It doesn't happen with autostart so I guess it is me. Still I am certain to startup that helo the way I ever did before.

I think it's happening in the engine spool up phase, while I am slowly turning that throttle twist grip open. I am not doing it really quickly, in RL you turn it open much more quickly.

So the exhaust catches fire and it doesn't trigger any warning or caution. All temperature gauges indicate nominal values. I can fly normally with that fire in the back.

I can even shut down engines and start them up again and continue normal operation.

Is this just a texture problem or stuff? flaming instead of visual exhaust emmisions?

You aren't supposed to be any "rolling" of the throttle at all during start. You set the throttle once and leave it. You are getting fire because it's too much fuel. Look at the throttle while you do this: press page up to give it full throttle, then page down to lower the throttle to the idle setting.( It will stop twisting) THEN press and hold the starter. Don't touch anything else, just the starter button. You should not get a fire

That is exactly what I am doing.

It really seems to be connected to that twist to fully open. The speed you have to do it now is way too slow. I claim that this wasn't the case in the preceding versions.

Yes, lately, seems like something changed since the beta when I was learning the Huey.

Re-read the section in the latest edition (.pdf) full flight manual. Do the process EXACTLY as it is written.

I use Page Up and Page Down keyboard keys for the throttle.

You can fine tune the throttle moves with your mouse.

Let the engine set right there at the low end throttle stop until it 1st revs up, then slowly advance the throttle open.

I map the high and low engine turbine switches to adjust the engine as is necessary once it is up to takeoff rpm.

That is what I did and now do, no more flame out the exhaust.

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Have you tried waiting until the starter has gotten up to speed? (Usually around 10-15% N1)

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

You aren't supposed to be any "rolling" of the throttle at all during start. You set the throttle once and leave it. You are getting fire because it's too much fuel. Look at the throttle while you do this: press page up to give it full throttle, then page down to lower the throttle to the idle setting.( It will stop twisting) THEN press and hold the starter. Don't touch anything else, just the starter button. You should not get a fire

As I wrote my post I roll the throttle open past the stop and roll the throttle closed to idle. Which is the way to do it. Your post is muddying the waters:music_whistling:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look at the throttle while you do this: press page up to give it full throttle, then page down to lower the throttle to the idle setting.( It will stop twisting) THEN press and hold the starter. Don't touch anything else, just the starter button. You should not get a fire

Yep, I found this exactly works well. Before start full forward and then back to idle. No flames.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Hi mate, I had this issue last week. First off check your key settings and make sure nothing else is selected for throttle, once you're happy there is only one control for throttle, then IF you're using an Axis to control your throttle, go into usb controllers in windows and recalibrate.

I found my calibration was ever so slightly out, so while I thought I was closing the throttle, it was leaving it just open enough to cause the hot start.

Silly advice as well, and please don't take offence, as I freely admit I was also doing this, make sure you're turning the throttle the right way. ;)

Cowboy10uk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

As I wrote my post I roll the throttle open past the stop and roll the throttle closed to idle. Which is the way to do it. Your post is muddying the waters:music_whistling:

My post is saying exactly the same thing your post is. It's not muddying anything. I was reaffirming what you said.

Roll it back to idle.

You aren't supposed to be any "rolling" of the throttle at all during start.

sounds contradictory to me, but hey I am only trying to help the chap out :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My post is saying exactly the same thing your post is. It's not muddying anything. I was reaffirming what you said.

You post tells you not to move the throttle at all during start up and that's kind of wrong. I'm told that once you get to around 15% you are supposed to roll the throttle forwards out of the idle position and get it to 40%. Then when it gets to around 60% I was told to turn it all the way up, but I'm also getting a flame when I do it this way though. What am I doing wrong?

My throttle stays at 15% if I don't take it out of the idle position, so I have to roll it forward to get it up to 40%.

Can someone please post the correct procedure because it's becoming confusing with different posts. Thanks!

You post tells you not to move the throttle at all during start up and that's kind of wrong. I'm told that once you get to around 15% you are supposed to roll the throttle forwards out of the idle position and get it to 40%. Then when it gets to around 60% I was told to turn it all the way up, but I'm also getting a flame when I do it this way though. What am I doing wrong?

My throttle stays at 15% if I don't take it out of the idle position, so I have to roll it forward to get it up to 40%.

Can someone please post the correct procedure because it's becoming confusing with different posts. Thanks!

Move the throttle to idle once the blades start turning (Approx. 10-15% N1). At 40% N1, cut the starter and switch the starter gen switch to stand by. Once N1 stabilizes at idle, you can roll the throttle to fly.

If you start the engine with the throttle in the fly position you WILL have a hot start.

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

My post is saying don't touch the throttle DURING start. As in if you are touching the starter button as well as fiddling with the throttle, you're wrong. The way I learned is set to idle before you press start. Then once temps and pressures are stabilized move to fly. But that's how I do it. Never had a flame. That's also how the computer does it for autostart if you watch. Maybe the book procedure is different

Edited by Xanderous

The method Cibit described in post #2 works fine. However if you do have flames it seems to have no consequenses during flight, flames don't stop even when the engine is shut down and others in MP don't see them.

So something is not in perfect codification with the flame visuals.

Edited by piXel496
I do like MiG21bisFishbedL comments and magnificent signature :)
  • Like 1

My post is saying don't touch the throttle DURING start. As in if you are touching the starter button as well as fiddling with the throttle, you're wrong. The way I learned is set to idle before you press start. Then once temps and pressures are stabilized move to fly. But that's how I do it. Never had a flame. That's also how the computer does it for autostart if you watch. Maybe the book procedure is different

No. Doing that will get you a molten lump of exotic metals.

You need air running through the motor before adding fuel.

IRL you let the engine idle for 2 minutes before rolling the throttle up. (slowly)

Same with shutting down. Idle for 2 minutes.

Procedure should be, gas producer to 12% before adding fuel, lightoff, keep the starter engaged until it hits ~50%, (gas producer should increase to ~60-70%[unfamiliar with the T-53]) idle for 2 minutes, then throttle to full.

Beep until the power turbine stabilises at 100%.

I use the home key to engage the starter, then use the mouse wheel to roll just past the idle stop and then roll it back down to idle once the motor has reached lightoff.

My guess is the fire is being caused by getting off the starter too early.

Something has changed WRT temperature modelling in the Huey, it seems to me it's a work in progress and this flame is the first step.

Edited by AussieFX

it is a bug and should be reported as a bug because the fire remains even when you shut off your engine and fuel pumps completely.

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

VID: MSI Nvidia RTX4070 12GB \ MON: Samsung ue49ks8000 49'', Lilliput 8'' x2

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack

No. Doing that will get you a molten lump of exotic metals.

You need air running through the motor before adding fuel.

IRL you let the engine idle for 2 minutes before rolling the throttle up. (slowly)

Same with shutting down. Idle for 2 minutes.

Procedure should be, gas producer to 12% before adding fuel, lightoff, keep the starter engaged until it hits ~50%, (gas producer should increase to ~60-70%[unfamiliar with the T-53]) idle for 2 minutes, then throttle to full.

Beep until the power turbine stabilises at 100%.

I use the home key to engage the starter, then use the mouse wheel to roll just past the idle stop and then roll it back down to idle once the motor has reached lightoff.

My guess is the fire is being caused by getting off the starter too early.

Something has changed WRT temperature modelling in the Huey, it seems to me it's a work in progress and this flame is the first step.

The T53-L13B in the UH-1H has dual-orifice fuel nozzles. The primary nozzles open automatically around 8-12% N1 and the secondary around 32% N1 from memory.

This ensures that there is sufficient air running through the engine prior to the introduction of fuel, without the need to modulate the throttle as per some other turbine engines.

As per the FM/CL the throttle should be set just on the decrease side of the idle stop prior to starter engagement. No modulation of the throttle is required for a normal start.

The starter should be held until 40% N1 or 40 seconds, whichever occurs sooner.

There is no two minute warm-up period for the UH-1H, there is a two minute cool-down for the shutdown.

I don't know how the DCS version is modelled, this is for the real UH-1H.

- Horsey

Hi there. Since I started flying in DCS 2, I noticed that I almost always get the exhaust on fire while starting up the Huey.

Track or it didn't happen. :D

Kidding aside, I just abused a number of T53 engines at McCarran and Creech AFB and was only able to get my exhaust to spit flames when I deviated from my normal startup procedure. But maybe it's also related to time of day, outside air temperature, who knows what.

So a track would really help.

As for the discussion on how to properly start the UH-1H engine, the manual (yes, there is a manual, BST did deliver it after all :music_whistling:) is quite to the point regarding the procedure. I don't know how close this is to real life (it seems to be a perfect fit with the startup vid posted earlier), but if I follow it, I don't seem to be getting flames out of the exhaust.

Track or it didn't happen. :D

Kidding aside, I just abused a number of T53 engines at McCarran and Creech AFB and was only able to get my exhaust to spit flames when I deviated from my normal startup procedure. But maybe it's also related to time of day, outside air temperature, who knows what.

So a track would really help.

As for the discussion on how to properly start the UH-1H engine, the manual (yes, there is a manual, BST did deliver it after all :music_whistling:) is quite to the point regarding the procedure. I don't know how close this is to real life (it seems to be a perfect fit with the startup vid posted earlier), but if I follow it, I don't seem to be getting flames out of the exhaust.

same here, you can get this weird bug if starter button is not released after 50% gas producer, also exhaust temp must always be in the green during startup. but i think its the bug because flames remains after shut-off.

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z390-E \ CPU: i9-9900K NZXT Kraken X52\ DDR4: 3000MHz G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 32Gb RAM \

VID: MSI Nvidia RTX4070 12GB \ MON: Samsung ue49ks8000 49'', Lilliput 8'' x2

CNTRL: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog \ Saitek Combat Rudder pedals \ TrackIR 5 \ Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack