DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

Bah, if you're trimming the tips of the grass with your air intakes, that just means you still have room to go lower. :music_whistling:

The mechanic, who has to clean those intakes and likes to carry a big wrench, says: "No." :D

Bah, if you're trimming the tips of the grass with your air intakes, that just means you still have room to go lower. :music_whistling:

Except in the A-10. There it means that you are already dead :music_whistling::joystick::pilotfly:

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Except in the A-10. There it means that you are already dead :music_whistling::joystick::pilotfly:

:lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

That Paintscheme has to be included.

If only to prove that the show must indeed go on.

Or just to troll the fighters trying to intercept you hardcore level. :DD

I am training a bit with the mirage doing Viggen style missions, so I did a really quick really low alt strike against an enemy FARP in blueflag, and just burn away running for your life.

While indeed an su27 did try to shoot me down on the way back, he neither could catch up nor could he reach me with missiles, 4km at sea level at mach 1.15 simply leads to so much air resistance that none of the 4 27r one 27t and one r73 did reach me. xDD

He was winchester and did rtb after that. :D

Cant wait to do that with the Viggen ! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

The stall in this thread is real it seems like everything has been said we are prepared as good as possible and now we are sitting here waiting for the release. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The stall in this thread is real it seems like everything has been said:D

I wouldn't bet on that ;)

It will for sure be derailed at least as many times as there are weeks until release of the module.

And there are plenty of more facts to share.

There is a Viggen Facebook group (mostly in Swedish) with some real life pilots discussing and sharing a lot of good information. Tonight there has been a discussion about firing RB 05 missiles. Perhaps we can sum up that eventually and share here.

I wouldn't bet on that ;)

It will for sure be derailed at least as many times as there are weeks until release of the module.

And there are plenty of more facts to share.

There is a Viggen Facebook group (mostly in Swedish) with some real life pilots discussing and sharing a lot of good information. Tonight there has been a discussion about firing RB 05 missiles. Perhaps we can sum up that eventually and share here.

ouhh yis. Anything about rb05 and BK90/DWS39 will be received by me like a sponge. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What would be a comparable aircraft to the attack-variant Viggen in role/capabalities? (not in aerodynamics/avionics)

I'm thinking about the Su-17 family from the soviet side and probably A-7 from US side? It would be good to know for the inescapable stand-in/squint harder scenarios.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Still trying to find Viggen.

I've found the Yeti, Nessie, the Yowie, the Mothman, the Wolfman, and Atlantis.

I still can't find Viggen. Where Viggen? Should I try looking in Poland?

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Its supposed to be somewhere on a mass storage device in sweden. :detective_2:

Looking forward to the playstyle of the Viggen. ATM I am flying in blue flag with a mirage with rocket pods and bombs. And its great. Looking forwrad to do that in the Viggen ! :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When you see Elvis, then you are getting really close. Apparently he likes to catch salmon on the pitot tube, with the Viggen.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

What would be a comparable aircraft to the attack-variant Viggen in role/capabalities? (not in aerodynamics/avionics)

I'm thinking about the Su-17 family from the soviet side and probably A-7 from US side? It would be good to know for the inescapable stand-in/squint harder scenarios.

The west-german Marinefliegers Starfighter and later Tornado would problary be the closest in terms of role/capabalities. Through the entire duration of the cold war, all six AJ 37 squadrons were organized into a single unit called "Första Flygeskadern" (1st Air Group), or E1 for short. E1 was seperate from the regular air force and was directly commanded by the swedish commander-in-chief. While E1 was capable of a variety of strike missions, the main focus was anti-ship operations on the Baltic Sea (just like the Marineflieger), since a naval invasion from the giant bear in the east was highly likely in case WW3 broke out. And the plan was to fly so frequently and aggresively that E1 was expected to be depleted as a fighting unit within the opening stages of the war.

Edited by Farks

In the original AJ 37 configuration, the most similar aircraft in role and weaponry is probably the Super Étendard, or as mentioned the West German Marineflieger F-104's. In the AJS 37 version, perhaps the A-4 Skyhawk in its later variants comes close-ish?

If the Soviet navy were even half as bad at dealing with ASM's as the Brits were at the Falklands in 1982, then an invasion would have fared rather poorly indeed.

Edited by renhanxue

Surely everyone who can read Swedish and has any interest in the Viggen has read the excellent doctrine analysis paper Med invasionen i sikte, but for the benefit of the linguistically impaired, a few tidbits from it may be of interest.

Farks summed the most important points of E1 up, but I'll start off with some background information to help you understand the context it was supposed to work in. The structure of the Swedish military and defense planning, as it developed in the 1950's, was highly decentralized - a feature that would remain intact until the end of the Cold War. The planners greatly feared a 1940 scenario where the mobilization either never got started or the central command was decapitated early on, and this was only increased by the possibility of nuclear strikes on important command centers. For this reason, the mobilization was designed to be impossible to stop once it had started (hence all the propaganda that said "every message that claims that the mobilization has been cancelled is false", and its later variant on the same tune that said "every message that claims that the resistance has ended is false"). All equipment storage was highly decentralized in order to prevent sabotage or surgical strikes on important locations.

With mobilization covered, the next step was to make lower levels of the chain of command so autonomous that they could handle themselves even if the top staffs got nuked, sabotaged or were otherwise unreachable. The country was divided into seven military districts (militärområden, milo), which were then subdivided into smaller pieces (försvarsområden, fo) that mostly corresponded to the counties of the civilian administration. A commander of a military district effectively had the command of all forces in his district, including fighter squadrons, which he could use at his own discretion. The Swedish army of the later cold war didn't have army divisions; the brigades were directly under military district commanders instead.

The exception to this structure was E1. E1 was not part of the regular chain of command - instead all six squadrons were under their own staff that answered only to the commander-in-chief and the joint headquarters. In other words, it was a strategic resource, not a tactical one. Under special circumstances a military district commander could be assigned a number of sorties from E1 per day to do something, but before the expected naval invasion, E1 could not be jeopardized on lesser tasks. In a decisive situation that could determine the course of the war like a naval invasion, however, E1 was to be used completely without regard for losses. Quoting directly from a formerly top secret 1963 doctrine document as cited in the paper mentioned:

We must therefore deploy E1 remorselessly, we must hit hard and we must hit quickly so we have time to repeat our strikes. We must employ the greatest possible force from the very beginning. Not save aircraft and missiles for later. By then it could be too late.

[...]

The squadrons must be prepared for great losses in these situations. This will require good esprit de corps and high morale. It is essential that our flight crews have faith in the commanders and leaders that are sending them out to die.

(The underlining is from the original text.)
Edited by renhanxue

Wow..

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Question for the devs, will the Viggen come with a countermeasure pod that doesn't take up one of its four main weapon pylons? I understand the BOY401 was at least used on the JA 37 but i'm not sure if it was ever used on the AJS.

Question for the devs, will the Viggen come with a countermeasure pod that doesn't take up one of its four main weapon pylons? I understand the BOY401 was at least used on the JA 37 but i'm not sure if it was ever used on the AJS.

It was not.

The only Pod the AJS 37 can carry will take up one of the wing Pylons.

The JA37 got some different countermassure devices in the Late 80s and 90s but the AJS 37 never got any of those (to my knowledge atleast).

I guess they could add them in the game as a potential modification but i would be against that.

Edited by mattebubben