DCS: AJS-37 Viggen Discussion

VEPR 12

On the subject of the Soviet Twice Red Banner Baltic Fleet, here is a little overview I put together some time ago. All data is from http://www.ww2.dk.

attachment.php?attachmentid=146122&stc=1&d=1470899593

attachment.php?attachmentid=146123&stc=1&d=1470899593

attachment.php?attachmentid=146124&stc=1&d=1470899593

attachment.php?attachmentid=146125&stc=1&d=1470899593

attachment.php?attachmentid=146126&stc=1&d=1470899593

attachment.php?attachmentid=146127&stc=1&d=1470899593

attachment.php?attachmentid=146128&stc=1&d=1470899593

Not included are ships under construction, refit, trials, exercise or visit in the Baltic (which were therfore not assigned to the Baltic Fleet). Also missing are minesweepers and auxillaries.

Baltiysk also was home to a large fleet of amphibious assault hovercraft, including several units of the potent Aist class.

In addition there were additional Soviet small coastal defense, ASW and missile craft in Leningrad, Swinoujscie (Poland) and Sassnitz (East Germany).

In wartime, the units of the East German and Polish navies would also come under control of the Soviet Baltic Fleet.

BalticFleet_Warships.thumb.jpg.2602812ace18d3152de125769fe8abb0.jpg

BalticFleet_Amphibs.thumb.jpg.cf83cfe45aa0571a63e7a4a971f05187.jpg

BalticFleet_Missile.thumb.jpg.3ebacbe4e22ab6175f2556bf943f9014.jpg

BalticFleet_Hydrofoils.thumb.jpg.204d68a02b5f4edb49b1cc4239171c2c.jpg

BalticFleet_ASW.thumb.jpg.c989f6b2fef0d1b51d62bd10ae039bfd.jpg

BalticFleet_Coastal.thumb.jpg.fb55ac25313f728a10121fcbc1910428.jpg

BalticFleet_Subs.thumb.jpg.54f33d5e709e9ba733c366034f3a5d18.jpg

• Like 1

*snip*

Thanks man, that's really helpful (for CMANO)! :D

PS: And thanks Skjold for your Sweden/Viggen-scenarios :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Normaly East German Forces and Polish Forces dont enter into doctrinal invasion vs Sweden. The main target for that naval forces has invade Denmark and control the Denmark straights to get a free passage vs Baltic / Polish / East German fleets and decimate the AFNORTH group of forces.

for example, typical naval invasion force on North Germany / Denmark by PacVar was a East German Motorized Schützenregiment + 7 Polish Naval Assault Division + 36 Soviet Guard Naval Infantry Brigade with support of the 6 Polish Airborne Brigade. A Speznad Battalion can raid Copenhagen to support of 7 Polish assault. 6 Polish can capture Borhorn Island.

Typical doctrinal plan maps

Kort%201954.jpg

GfxsVfc.jpg

Document about cold war show Sweden fortress.

http://coldwarsites.net/wp-content/files_mf/travel_giude_www39.pdf

Website about Scandinavian fortress

http://www.fortress-scandinavia.dk/

Where do you find this kind of documentation

I'm back from vacation!

ENncSDs.jpg

Nice that you are getting out all those formerly classified manuals, I really wished I was fluent in swedish. :D

Any luck yet finding infor about BK90 employment ? :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

Nope, this manual has a heading for it but it just says "information will be published later". I'm still hoping for a pack of errata pages to pop out of the declassification process though.

Damn it ! :D

Keep up the good work thought, really amazing ! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You must be a regular at Krigsarkivet* or wherever you get these documents from :) Keep up the good work renhanxue!

Yes it's Krigsarkivet and yes most of the staff knows me by name. Don't kinkshame :(

Anyway, here you go, SFI AJS 37 del 2 - checklists, standard procedures, emergency instructions, some performance data, peacetime restrictions, that jazz. Also includes a list of all the nav points and airfields the computer comes preprogrammed with.

• Like 1

Weapons questions;

Is the gunpod aimed with manual reticle depression for strafing, or is it computed automatically?

What kind of warheads do the 135mm rockets have?

What kind of bombs can be carried?

"We carried out many trials to try to find the answer to the fast, low-level intruder, but there is no adequate defense."

— Air Vice-Marshal J. E. 'Johnnie' Johnson, RAF

Can't charge us all

Weapons questions;

Is the gunpod aimed with manual reticle depression for strafing, or is it computed automatically?

What kind of warheads do the 135mm rockets have?

What kind of bombs can be carried?

Afaik the gunpods get CCIP by radar ranging.

The 135mm rockets are limited to HE and training warheads in the swedish inventory afaik.

The bombs are limited to 16x 120kg HE bombs or ilumination bombs.

If you consider the BK90 a bomb is up to you. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Afaik the gunpods get CCIP by radar ranging.

The 135mm rockets are limited to HE and training warheads in the swedish inventory afaik.

The bombs are limited to 16x 120kg HE bombs or ilumination bombs.

If you consider the BK90 a bomb is up to you. :D

If my memory is correct the there should be AP-Frag warheads for the Rockets as well and not just HE(GP).

And while the 120kg bomb is the only bomb carried by the Viggen it should be available in both Low drag (normal) and high drag configs

(if i remember correctly).

If my memory is correct the there should be AP-Frag warheads for the Rockets as well and not just HE(GP).

And while the 120kg bomb is the only bomb carried by the Viggen it should be available in both Low drag (normal) and high drag configs

(if i remember correctly).

Could be that it was only AP/frag. Since when I compared it to the S13ot, the warhead weight was bigger while the HE load was smaller.

But we all know fragmentation damage in DCS. x)

Yeah now that you said it, I think you are right, there were high and low drag versions of the m71.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could be that it was only AP/frag. Since when I compared it to the S13ot, the warhead weight was bigger while the HE load was smaller.

But we all know fragmentation damage in DCS. x)

Yeah now that you said it, I think you are right, there were high and low drag versions of the m71.

Here is an example of a source in english mentioning the Rockets of the Viggen.

"135 mm Bofors M70 rockets (either 21 kg GP warhead with 3.7kg explosive or 20 kg AP fragmentation warhead with 5 kg explosive) in pods of six each"

Source

http://www.x-plane.org/home/urf/aviation/text/37viggen.htm

that was the only source i could find in a quick search gonna try to remember where i first read about the Different warhead types.

But speaking of the Viggens rockets i sure hope they get the Smoke trails right.

Since they are quite different from the current rockets and they look amazing.

[ame]

[/ame]

That Diry Dark smoke looks very cool.

And i hope they manage to get custom smoke for those rockets instead of the standard white smoke trails.

Here is an example of a source in english mentioning the Rockets of the Viggen.

"135 mm Bofors M70 rockets (either 21 kg GP warhead with 3.7kg explosive or 20 kg AP fragmentation warhead with 5 kg explosive) in pods of six each"

Source

http://www.x-plane.org/home/urf/aviation/text/37viggen.htm

that was the only source i could find in a quick search gonna try to remember where i first read about the Different warhead types.

But speaking of the Viggens rockets i sure hope they get the Smoke trails right.

Since they are quite different from the current rockets and they look amazing.

That Diry Dark smoke looks very cool.

And i hope they manage to get custom smoke for those rockets instead of the standard white smoke trails.

Ah noice find !

Yeah hoping that in general rockets get better smoke trails. Russian S8 rockets also practically operate smokeless, while IRL they dont do that really.

But I hope as you do, that we ged glorious m70 black smoke trails ! :D

EDIT: Big shoutout to all you people doing work here informing everyone while beeing nice people. This thread is just wonderfull to be a part off.

[inspired by terrible experience with people in other speculation/discussion threads for other in dev modules. x)]

Edited by microvax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rockets: there's HE (or HE-frag rather) and HEAT (plus some fragmentation I guess?) warheads. Actually there are two HE warheads, one older (m/56) and one newer (m/70) but I don't know the difference between them. Additionally there are like three different contact fuzes (no idea what the difference is) and one proximity fuze. You can use the proximity fuze with both HEAT and HE warheads.

Bombs: 120kg HE bombs are the only offensive option. 4 are carried per pylon, up to a maximum of 16. They can be dropped with or without a retardation chute and with either contact or proximity fuzing.

There is so much to read, and a lot for us Swedes to translate :)

One funny little note I found:

"If you start with full afterburner (Zone 3) the aircraft accelerates very fast, so there is a risk that you are going faster than the maximum allowed speed for extended gears before they are fully retracted" :)

This is also interesting. It says about releasing bombs that the mode switch can be at SERIE or IMPULS as desired.

Is it then a confirmation that single bombs can be dropped? Perhaps that is a single bomb per pylon, but still that is less than all 16 at once?

Or should it be interpreted as that the switch position doesn't matter?

Bombf.png.0fee718ac8f0347a983f4a2289a18ad4.png

Edited by BravoYankee4

There is so much to read, and a lot for us Swedes to translate :)

One funny little note I found:

"If you start with full afterburner (Zone 3) the aircraft accelerates very fast, so there is a risk that you are going faster than the maximum allowed speed for extended gears before they are fully retracted" :)

Max allowed speed with gear out is 600 km/h IAS. At low altitude it's also easy to overspeed a relatively light aircraft with gear in; Vne is 1350 km/h IAS (around M 1.1 at sea level).

This is also interesting. It says about releasing bombs that the mode switch can be at SERIE or IMPULS as desired.

Is it then a confirmation that single bombs can be dropped? Perhaps that is a single bomb per pylon, but still that is less than all 16 at once?

Or should it be interpreted as that the switch position doesn't matter?

The SERIE / IMPULSE setting (when releasing bombs, it has different purposes for other weapons) only affects the training bombs, either releasing one or two bombs.

The entire bomb load is released according to the set impact intervals, assuming you keep the trigger pulled throughout the release cycle. You can theoretically divide the bomb load by releasing the trigger. However, that is not really all that useful as you cannot see how many bombs you have remaining, just that not all of them have been released.

Also notice that pretty much all the weapons delivery procedures require you to set the barometric pressure for the target (QFE) due to how the sight calculates the impact points.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rockets: there's HE (or HE-frag rather) and HEAT (plus some fragmentation I guess?) warheads. Actually there are two HE warheads, one older (m/56) and one newer (m/70) but I don't know the difference between them. Additionally there are like three different contact fuzes (no idea what the difference is) and one proximity fuze. You can use the proximity fuze with both HEAT and HE warheads.

Bombs: 120kg HE bombs are the only offensive option. 4 are carried per pylon, up to a maximum of 16. They can be dropped with or without a retardation chute and with either contact or proximity fuzing.

Low level high speed bombing with 16x 120kg proximity fuzed retarded bombs intensifies.

And nice that there are heat rockets. I mean, 4 mavericks will be allways better in terms of taking out bunkers etc. But rockets and unguided bombs are simply fun to use. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick question about aircraft power-up. Does the aircraft have an APU so it can do a stand-alone start, or will it rely on ground support to help it start up? I.E. whether it be a GPU (like the MiG-15 and F-86) or compressed air for turbine spin (like the F-5)?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

It doesn't have an APU but you can start it with the onboard battery, no ground power needed. The preferred method is to start with ground power, though. If you start from battery you have to postpone a bunch of checklist items until after the engine is spooled up, though (you can't do them without AC power).

Edited by renhanxue