Viggen vs MiG-21

Hummingbird

Something else we overlooked in this thread : unless I am mistaken AJS-37 doesn't have on board chaff/flare dispensers, at leas AJ-37 didn't. I think only JA-37D has them. So if you want counter measures you carry them on pods attached to pylons, sacrifing a pair of Sidewinders if I am correct.

You are indeed correct. :-)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the AJS-37 is an attack/strike aircraft So that makes it very usefull.

And the Viggen is alot harder of a target for fighters then the other attack aircraft already in the game like the SU-25s and A-10s

And it will have several times the self defence capabillity of the A-10 and the su-25 aswell as being pretty much as fast as any fighter in the game at low alt.

Ppl need to realise that the AJS-37 is not a fighter anymore then a Su-22 mig-27 or Panavia tornado is.

It can defend itself to some degree and is more then capable of intercepting and shooting down bombers / attack aircraft but it would never tangle with a fighter while on a strike mission if it could avoid it.

So while a Mig-21s mission in MP is usually trying to sneak up on enemy aircraft to get that rare air-air kill a AJS viggen will do strike missions with the abillity to defend itself if attacked.

And ppl if ur doing Air-Ground missions and you suddenly get lit by an enemy fighter.

What would you rather be in? a Su-25 with a Pair of Heaters a A-10 with a Pair of heaters or a Mach 2 capable AJS-37 with air-air radar and 2 heaters.

Not only could the AJS-37 run away when all the others could not it can also track and find a target with sensors other then the Mk-1 eyeball.

If there is indeed an air to air search / lock mode, and if it can indeed cue all aspect sidewinders to radar target, it would more or less completely negate any possible advantage R-3R would have provided :). More so if smokeless M Sidewinders are available to Viggen.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

If there is indeed an air to air search / lock mode, and if it can indeed cue all aspect sidewinders to radar target, it would more or less completely negate any possible advantage R-3R would have provided :). More so if smokeless M Sidewinders are available to Viggen.

I dont think the Viggen has the smokeless ones, all i can find is the AJ using either the AIM-9J or the AIM-9B. :-/ The fighter variant carried the AIM-9L in later years (after 1986).

[ame=http://www.robotmuseum.se/Mappar/Robothistorik/10_Jakt/ARM_RB24.pdf]Info here[/ame] (again, in swedish!) :thumbup:

Can someone please explain how the AJS ground mapping radar works in Air to Air mode? Im asking because it's obviously a radar designed to find and destroy ground targets, however Im interested to know how it does against airborne targets in look-down or a look-up situations. It's obviously not an advanced doppler radar, there is a lot of speculation in this thread that it works just fine in Air to Air mode, that you can just flip a switch and boom you have a nice air to air radar, that tracks and everything. Sounds a little too good to be true....

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Actually do we even have detailed info on whether it can work in A-A mode at all, and if so just what this A-A mode is ?

Edit :

Oh, and also, as far as I know, AJS should be able to carry AIM-9 L & M, and 6 of them instead of 4, unlike AJ which carried earlier sidewinders.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I have not seen any evidence of an A-A mode yet, and based on the specs I have seen, I think it's safe to assume that if it has an A-A mode, then it's not going to be look down capable. It would work like the MiG-21bis, only more powerful which should give it more range.

Edit: Found a good source which claims it does have an A-A intercept mode :)

https://books.google.se/books?id=iMjsCAAAQBAJ&lpg=PA307&ots=6KCETZ-II6&dq=PS-371%2FA&hl=sv&pg=PA3#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by Brisse

The AJS-37 (and AJ-37 before it)

Are equipped with a PS-37 Mono Pule Radar.

They have multiple air-ground modes aswell as a air-air mode.

And from my understanding it is not lookdown capable.

It should however have a longer range aswell as wider field of scan then the Radar on the Mig-21Bis.

And where as the AJ-37 could only carry 2 Aim-9s

(It could carry the Aim-9B but it was retired a few years after the AJ-37 enterd service so it carried the Aim-9P3 during most of its life)

The AJS was upgraded to be able to carry Aim-9s on all 6 pylons including the more capable Aim-9L on 4 of those pylons.

(its probably Aim-9M capable but sweden never aquired the Aim-9M)

It's gonna be tough too.

R3-R has an incredible PK above 80%, while RB24 is heat seeker.

Whatever you do, when you are intercepted by Mig-21, enter within 20km and you are dead.

And where are you getting that figure?

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

It's gonna be tough too.

R3-R has an incredible PK above 80%, while RB24 is heat seeker.

Whatever you do, when you are intercepted by Mig-21, enter within 20km and you are dead.

The R3R is only effective within 10km- it doesn't have the kinematic performance to go any further. It is excessively lethal in heads-on engagements inside that range, but far less so if the target is crossing your nose due to its low G-force limit (my observations back in 1.2 suggest that it maxes out at 15G, compared to 30G for the AIM-9M and R-73).

I think it's received a nerf with 1.5 as well. The motor makes smoke now, and the missile looks like its flying slower (though I haven't confirmed this with the F6 cam).

I dont think the Viggen has the smokeless ones, all i can find is the AJ using either the AIM-9J or the AIM-9B. :-/ The fighter variant carried the AIM-9L in later years (after 1986).

Info here (again, in swedish!) :thumbup:

I have one source naming the RB-24J as a Aim-9J.

But all other sources i can find say that the RB-24J is a Aim-9P3.

And also i cant find any accounts of the Aim-9J being Exported.

The Aim-9P is the Export variant of the Aim-9J wich it is based off.

With some improvements.

Aswell as the fact that the Aim-9J was no longer in production during the time most of the RB-24Js where deliverd makes me think a Aim-9P is likley.

But since the Aim-9P is based of the Aim-9J that might be why it recived the name RB-24J.

Its all very confusing =P

a few of the sources linking the RB-24J to be a Aim-9P.

http://www.aef.se/Flygvapnet/Notiser/Sidewinder.htm

http://www.x-plane.org/home/urf/aviation/text/missiles/aam.html

(scroll down to the swedish section)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-9_Sidewinder#Combat_debut:_Taiwan_Strait.2C_1958

(bottom on that paragraf it mentions Finland using Swedish Aim-9Ps)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Air_Force_weapons#Air-to-air_missiles

and more =P.

So most of what i can find points towards a Aim-9P3 =P.

(Ps while the AJ can only carry RB-24 or RB-24J the AJS can carry those awell as the RB-74=Aim-9L)

While the MiG 21 does enjoy the advantage of the SARH missile, it's range is comparable to that of the sidewinder and R-60, so the only major advantage I see is the first shot advantage on the head on pass. I am trying to find info on the ITT and STT of the Viggen to guess what things would look like after that. TWW looks comparable, with the MiG 21 enjoying an advantage in EAB

While the MiG 21 does enjoy the advantage of the SARH missile, it's range is comparable to that of the sidewinder and R-60, so the only major advantage I see is the first shot advantage on the head on pass. I am trying to find info on the ITT and STT of the Viggen to guess what things would look like after that. TWW looks comparable, with the MiG 21 enjoying an advantage in EAB

Well as I mentioned earlier the Viggen seems to enjoy a major advantage in lift to weight ratio, which really shows itself when looking at the aircraft's respective landings speeds:

MiG-21 = 351 km/h

Viggen = 220 km/h

Looking at this I think its pretty obvious that the Viggen will be the more agile of the two in the subsonic regime, and to a noticable degree. This also confirms the talk of the Viggens impressive low speed handling.

MiG-21 = 351 km/h

Viggen = 220 km/h

Looking at this I think its pretty obvious that the Viggen will be the more agile of the two in the subsonic regime, and to a noticable degree. This also confirms the talk of the Viggens impressive low speed handling.

I think you are right! And it will be something different! We know a lot of things about American and Russian aircraft. I really hope for a shocking thing with this Swedes birds.

Viggen vs 21! Well not the same purpose, we will see :joystick:

Prend ton temps mais fait ca vite :cold:... LG34''21:9 Asus 23''monitors Intel i7-4590 EVGA 1070 Superclocked Gskills 4x4G RAM Fatal1ty AsRock Z97 killer motherboard in a HAF black box with 4 CH products plug in and logitech G510, F310, M510 and M570 plus trackIR 5!

I prefer viggen vs M2000.

But ok as they are both from LN.

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals