Feel like starting playing online??

I get locked occasionally and some keep the lock for eternity..although I'm ECM off and they can tell I'm a friendly.

How do you know they are friendly? Most servers have a mix of 15/29/27 on both sides ...

I am amazed when I lock some enemies up they just keep on flying oblivious!

I get locked occasionally and some keep the lock for eternity..although I'm ECM off and they can tell I'm a friendly...

FWIW, I'll occasionally lock a known friendly for 1 or 2 seconds to get a reading on his altitude and heading when I'm in a -27 or -29. That way I know where he is and where he's going when the jammers come on. So far, it's kept me from shooting down a friendly jammer.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Boohoo all the noobs are faggots and i am leetar Tom Cruise cocky pilot. :D

Seriously, it adds to the realism that you get shot down by friendly's, ED implemented that. I never fly with ECM's aswell, plus that i take-off from taxi-ways because a) i master it b) its useful when vulchers are above.

I think the best way to correct a beginner is get on his six when he constantly locks you up and scare the shit out of him. If he fires you should be able to dodge his missiles plus its good training.

You're wrong, wrong, and then wrong again. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

FWIW, I'll occasionally lock a known friendly for 1 or 2 seconds to get a reading on his altitude and heading when I'm in a -27 or -29. That way I know where he is and where he's going when the jammers come on. So far, it's kept me from shooting down a friendly jammer.

Rich

Can't you lock him in EOS for that?

In real life, things are a lot easier then when flying online.

Now, OK, you can wipe the dust off your body when shot down flying online, in real life, you're mostly dead and don't get a second (or thirth or fourth) chance to go at it again but hey...

I've seen games where F-15's flew against F-15's. A-10's on the same side as Su25's. Mig's against Mig's, F-15's and Su33's against Su27's and Mig29's and all other possible combinations. One could get confused now and then now doesn't he? Same stuff happens in games like IL-2. And it happens a lot more with people who like to change sides now and then just because they want to fly other planes too.

What's more, computer graphics are still a blurry mess compared to a humans eye when it comes down to recognition if aircrafts are friendly and /or enemy. I can determine quite quickly if it's an F-16 flying past or some other type of airplane in real life but when it comes down to flightsims, i find it damn hard to tell what kinda plane that is flying out there just by the means of a few blurry pixels (that even shapeshift while crawling over the screen).

If you really whould set up a game which resembles real life, these things whould happen a lot less then they do now (always use same sides, use correct planes on each side, use prohper radiocalls, same side in same channels, etc...). Secondly, flying your game with always the same people does help a lot also. You get to know each other a lot better and out of that, a lot better gamesplay comes out of it, avoiding most of the problems discussed here, use a closed (pasworded) server.... but then... with somtimes not even more then 10 people hanging around, waiting for a game, you can't be that demanding either, now could you?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

one easy way to solve the problem is just simply put f15 on one side and su's and mig's on the other side. on the f15 side, you can add a su27 to balance the game, or just put f15, su27, a10 vs. su33, mig 29 and su25 series.

It's been done. There are problems with that as well.

The F-15 needs IFF capability modelled. No workaround is going to change that.

Can't you lock him in EOS for that?

There are a couple of problems with that.

First and foremost, EOS doesn't IFF. So that's not an option. Further, lock someone with EOS, look down at the MFD, and you'll see the triangle normally used to denote enemies -- regardless of who's locked. So not only isn't it an option but a newbie trying to use EOS without full knowledge of it's limitations will very likely commit fratricide. Once you have someone locked with EOS, if you turn on radar, it'll IFF the contact. But, if you have IR missiles selected, you'll still get launch authorization--unlike what happens with radar-guided missile. So again, if you're not completely familiar with the EOS system, in the heat of battle, fratricide is a distinct possibility. It's easy to miss the little "C" in the lower left corner of the HUD. And you're not likely to look down at the MFD a 2nd time to notice that the triangle is now a circle.

Another reason is range. Even if EOS did IFF, it doesn't reach out far enough. Online I normally fly the Russian birds (unless I'm in an A-10). I usually start building a mental picture of what's happening in front of me while well away from the front (if there is one). I don't normally rush in. I'll power back, watch the radars sweeping my aircraft on the TWD and start building a mental picture of what's out there and about how far away they are. Once the signal strengths are high enough, I'll turn on radar and see what there is to see at various bearings, ranges and altitudes. If there's a friendly contact I'm concerned about, I'll briefly lock him to get heading and altitude info. That way, if he starts jamming and multiple jamming signals start crossing over each other, I'll still have a good idea of who is who and how far away they are. I've flown in several fairly confusing battles and, so far, have been able to keep everyone sorted.

Rich

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Guest IguanaKing

Not being a LOMAC Eagle driver myself...does the F-15 have NCTR or doesn't it? I know its not 100% reliable, and I know its not IFF, but does this radar capability exist in LOMAC?

Yes, it does. Under a certain distance (20nm or so, but I don't recall well) you'll get the aircraft type on the bottom of the VSD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Not being a LOMAC Eagle driver myself...does the F-15 have NCTR or doesn't it? I know its not 100% reliable, and I know its not IFF, but does this radar capability exist in LOMAC?

It does ... BUT on-line most servers fly 15/27/29 on both sides, so NCTR doesn't help - not very realistic. In RL GW1 the French Mirages were kept back over Saudi so that the 15s could shoot at an Mirage knowing it was Iraqi.

IFF in the 15 is badly modelled ... and in close range mode is none existant. Realistic, I don't know for sure, but hardly believable.

The only thing i can, or want to fly for that matter, is the 15. Having 15's on both sides helps balancing the teams.

I know of atleast one other country that actually has them, though there are probably more.

Sometimes i fly the A-10, but you probably won't catch me in a non-us plane. Just not comfortable with a russian cockpit.

There deffinatly needs to be something done for the IFF in the 15. That said though, with help of other people on your team and the radar, it's not that difficult to ID your target. SA for the win!

Yes, it does. Under a certain distance (20nm or so, but I don't recall well) you'll get the aircraft type on the bottom of the VSD.

That is correct and theres also some sort of countdown to positive target ID on the bidle bottom of the radar MFD.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The only thing i can, or want to fly for that matter, is the 15. Having 15's on both sides helps balancing the teams.

I know of atleast one other country that actually has them, though there are probably more.

Well, from memory, the US, Israel, Saudi and Japan all fly the C model plus a few are going to be getting Es ... So what are the chances of one of those nations going to war with the US? Very low ... it just makes IFF hard!

You know, I totally agree with 941st Rage on this subject as it is really frustrating, yet with all this experience, 5 pages and 43 answers to this thread no-one has actually explained the right way to IFF. Yet people are so quick to pull others down. Have you all read the manual from front to back then gone online and never asked questions about something? This is where the vast majority of learning and teaching is done. Commonly known as "Hands On".

All that has transpired is people taking the piss and making comments like RTFM. Now this is ok, but how about explaining what to do and be more positive and I think you will get more people in Hyperlobby and they will not feel so inferior as to come and have a fly in a community that is generally outstanding. But I would summize that the "Noobs" after reading this thread will think: "There is no way I`m going in there"

Could someone please enlighten me and explain what forums are for? To tell others to RTFM? No I don`t think so.

Also the one about the guy who said: "the way to IFF was to see if the missile fired" I know this is not the done thing but it`s not entirely incorrect either. Correct me if I am wrong but in a Russian aircraft if you do lock a friendly the missile will not fire unless you over-ride it? So in a way is this not a form of IFF? As the missile system has identified it as a friendly and will not fire.

Apologise for going on but I`m a great believer in helping others. I know what i was like when i first started and I was taken on board by the 169th. If it hadn`t been for Ice and his team I would still be in there killing friendlies. Prior to this I just had fleeting visits to hyperlobby as I thought no-one really wants to help me in here. I am sure that everyone of you went online before Reading The F****** Manual and made mistakes. So just think back to those days.

Like I said before, with all the experience that has replied to this, not one of us has explained how to do IFF. Interesting thought really. Does that mean we are all just a bunch of Prima Donnas and the big wide world out there may think this and that is probably why our community is so small? Top Tip: IIP - Invest In People. It will pay you dividends.

• Like 1

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few". - Sir Winston Churchill 1940.

You know, I totally agree with 941st Rage on this subject as it is really frustrating, yet with all this experience, 5 pages and 43 answers to this thread no-one has actually explained the right way to IFF. Yet people are so quick to pull others down. Have you all read the manual from front to back then gone online and never asked questions about something? This is where the vast majority of learning and teaching is done. Commonly known as "Hands On".

All that has transpired is people taking the piss and making comments like RTFM. Now this is ok, but how about explaining what to do and be more positive and I think you will get more people in Hyperlobby and they will not feel so inferior as to come and have a fly in a community that is generally outstanding. But I would summize that the "Noobs" after reading this thread will think: "There is no way I`m going in there"

Could someone please enlighten me and explain what forums are for? To tell others to RTFM? No I don`t think so.

Also the one about the guy who said: "the way to IFF was to see if the missile fired" I know this is not the done thing but it`s not entirely incorrect either. Correct me if I am wrong but in a Russian aircraft if you do lock a friendly the missile will not fire unless you over-ride it? So in a way is this not a form of IFF? As the missile system has identified it as a friendly and will not fire.

Apologise for going on but I`m a great believer in helping others. I know what i was like when i first started and I was taken on board by the 169th. If it hadn`t been for Ice and his team I would still be in there killing friendlies. Prior to this I just had fleeting visits to hyperlobby as I thought no-one really wants to help me in here. I am sure that everyone of you went online before Reading The F****** Manual and made mistakes. So just think back to those days.

Like I said before, with all the experience that has replied to this, not one of us has explained how to do IFF. Interesting thought really. Does that mean we are all just a bunch of Prima Donnas and the big wide world out there may think this and that is probably why our community is so small? Top Tip: IIP - Invest In People. It will pay you dividends.

Agreed. Im also somewhat annoyed by some of the posts that have ripped the piss on both sides of the fence (Like RTFM you NOOBS or Friendly fire is fun...lets all indulge). The point of this thread was not to discourage new players.....far from it.

All im saying is you'll save yourself and others alot of aggro and have a more enjoyable time online if you do some simple things first. Learning to IFF and not using ECM on all the time are two of those.

Furthermore if you have any questions there will always be people online more than willing to help. Playing online is not as scary as some people like to make it out to be. Its far more challenging but also far more enjoyable than offline play (at least for me).

I think i would be right in saying that new players should feel welcome approaching myself or any of the other big squad members such as the 169th and 504 and S77th for help and advice online.

Oh and btw 169th_Bat....Russian missiles do fire without LA Override on friendly targets ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

• Like 2

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few". - Sir Winston Churchill 1940.

...Also the one about the guy who said: "the way to IFF was to see if the missile fired" I know this is not the done thing but it`s not entirely incorrect either. Correct me if I am wrong but in a Russian aircraft if you do lock a friendly the missile will not fire unless you over-ride it? So in a way is this not a form of IFF? As the missile system has identified it as a friendly and will not fire...

You are correct up to a point. As I noted in my previous post, if you use EOS to target, there is no IFF. To make matters worse, the HUD and MFD designators indicate "hostile" and so, as a newbie, you can be fooled into thinking that the target is positively ID'd as enemy.

And good job with the explanatory pics. Very concise and to the point.

Rich

_____

Ironhand Said:

As I noted in my previous post, if you use EOS to target, there is no IFF

Easily solved mate. I think if you turn on radar whilst locking the target in EOS mode you get the "F" on the bottom left side of the HUD as in the last pic I posted. If there is no "F" then ZAP it. LOL