AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Keep Calm pal. :joystick:

We want the best Harrier simulation possible so all information is welcome. Amalahama provided very useful information to the developers so, what's the problem?

We all want the best, sometimes devs get stuff wrong, sometimes the community gets stuff wrong. Only through constructive, and useful debate can we get the module which I personally am most excited for.

"If the MWS didn't see it, it didn't happen"

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not at all familiar with the harrier, but I am however familiar with the A-10C and F-16C. Just hear me out on this.

I think it looks like the harrier's CCRP (AUTO) is correctly implemented, only that it is used incorrectly in the video. Instead of lining up the velocity vector with the CCRP line like you do in the A-10C and F-16C, it seems like you are supposed to line the CCRP line up with the target point instead of the velocity vector, which seems unintuitive to A-10C and F-16C pilots. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It'd be interesting if Razbam could upload a video trying to drop some dumb bombs in this manner while in a bank. If it works as I suspect it does, the velocity vector should cross the CCRP line right at the release point.

With this in mind, take a second look at amalahama's second picture.

One discrepancy I found in the video though, is that when the 'target-more-than-90-degrees-off-the-nose' arrow appears, the ASL is supposed to dissapear

EDIT: I got a hold of the AV-8B Tactical Manuals! Here are some pictures I found.

q2NMjvt.jpg

Edited by WHOGX5

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

I think it looks like the harrier's CCRP (AUTO) is correctly implemented, only that it is used incorrectly in the video. Instead of lining up the velocity vector with the CCRP line like you do in the A-10C and F-16C, it seems like you are supposed to line the CCRP line up with the target point instead of the velocity vector, which seems unintuitive to A-10C and F-16C pilots.

See Zeus video again. ASL (what you called "CCRP line") doesn't cross the TD, and pilot has to maneuver to make it cross the target, basically similar to CCIP. That's WRONG. IRL it crosses ALWAYS (as long as VVI is wind-corrected) the TD, because the ASL provides the reference to the pilot about where to point his a/c to hit the defined point.

Your pictures show perfectly the expected AUTO mode behavior, with no doubt.

Regards!

See Zeus video again. ASL (what you called "CCRP line") doesn't cross the TD, and pilot has to maneuver to make it cross the target, basically similar to CCIP. That's WRONG. IRL it crosses ALWAYS (as long as VVI is wind-corrected) the TD, because the ASL provides the reference to the pilot about where to point his a/c to hit the defined point.

Your pictures show perfectly the expected AUTO mode behavior, with no doubt.

Regards!

Isn't that because he is aligning the ASL with the velocity vector instead of the TD?

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

As I understand it, he is right. The whole purpose of CCRP releases is so you don't need to maintain visual contact with the target. If you need to align the ASL with the TD, that means you are seeing the target (unless the TD displays in the target's vertical when outside hud's fov, which I don't know). That would make it some kind of mix between CCIP and CCRP.

Seeing the image from the manual, it says that "ASL denotes steering to target", then you would have to align the vv/fpm with the ASL and wait for release.

However, in the video the ASL is fixed in the center of the pitch ladder (also different from the manual).

We all know this is WIP, but feedback is always good (as long as it is said corrrectly).

Folks, the problem with the ASL in the video was a bug. The function controlling it was not working as intended and that means that there was no lateral displacement and that it was visible at all times.

I did not caught it until you told me about the problem.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

I wasn't upset or trying to start a debate, just thought his useful criticism was voiced and could of been put in a nicer way than "THATS SO WRONG" I too want this module to be the best it can be. Just thought it sounded a little snarky.

I was inverted B)

Folks, the problem with the ASL in the video was a bug. The function controlling it was not working as intended and that means that there was no lateral displacement and that it was visible at all times.

I did not caught it until you told me about the problem.

Thanks buddy, very appreciated, the videos I posted earlier showed clearly how a CCRP/Auto attack is being made in RL, in other american platforms. They only differ with the Harrier in details, but the basic mechanics are similar. Just check them out.

I wasn't upset or trying to start a debate, just thought his useful criticism was voiced and could of been put in a nicer way than "THATS SO WRONG" I too want this module to be the best it can be. Just thought it sounded a little snarky.

Sorry mate, but I'm not a robot, I have feelings, bad days and blue Mondays. And the problem is as usual, when an enthusiast points out any mistake, the reaction is often: "they know better", "they have a pilot, do you think you know more than him?", " I won't believe you until you show me a real video of the very specific item of the classified avionics, the secret original blueprints from McDD and a magic dragon tooth", or "Hey mate, it's WIP, relax...".

I would love to see the community more proactive (especially with the Harrier, all the Tactical manuals are available for free, just google them), engaged on providing constructive criticism instead of sit eating doritos and writing OMG SO NICE, SO REALISTIC. It's a win-win for everybody - RAZBAM would be pleased to identify those mistakes earlier when it's easier to track and fix, getting a robust release, while we as community would get the best Harrier possible, which is what we want right?

Regards!

Edited by amalahama
  • Like 2

And you can do all of this simply beeing a little more kind.

Both things are compatible. I appreciate also your effort to notice this problem.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Ellaborate please.

Why?

Is not accurated, not realistic, wrong size, colours or shape mistakes, wrong labels?

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

New video guys!

Edited by WHOGX5

DCS Wishlist:

It has been told before this is a FOV, Focus, angle of view divergence, not a shape or size 3D error.

The point of view-angle-focus is not the same in a pic with a camera than inside the DCS Harrier cockpit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't see anything wrong with the cockpit, looks alright to me. I just hope the labels are pretty readable in VR. I have no trouble seeing them fine in the A-10.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Comparing it with the drawings of the instrument panel in the Harrier manual Razbams cockpit looks spot on. In the real plane the anti glare shield is bent somewhat inwards so that the cockpit looks narrower on photographs. Also keep in mind that the cockpit photo above is from a British Harrier, thus instrumentation is not the same.

BI46645.jpg

3932699407_d699582bd8_o.jpg

3932699407_d699582bd8_o.jpg

Here I go again.

Pitch ladder. As I said, pitch ladder is wind corrected, it follows VVI all the time, so VVI stays in the middle. It doesn't behave in that way in Razbam Harrier. Attached RL HUD pictures vs last Razbam videos. It should go that way regardless HUD mode.

Regards

P.S- good video with some attack footage from a AV-8B NA

129049123_PITCHLADDERREAL.thumb.jpg.96ca8eddda9daa269ebeb6b709b1ca55.jpg

1000811868_PITCHLADDERRZBM.thumb.jpg.2f91a2e8db60fe38b5d66b1171f40e17.jpg

Edited by amalahama

Here I go again.

Pitch ladder. As I said, pitch ladder is wind corrected, it follows VVI all the time, so VVI stays in the middle. It doesn't behave in that way in Razbam Harrier. Attached RL HUD pictures vs last Razbam videos. It should go that way regardless HUD mode.

Regards

P.S- good video with some attack footage from a AV-8B NA

Yep, that is correct. Seems like bug. But didn't Zeus67 already mentioned he is looking into it?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3228179&postcount=1738

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)