Some bad news, depending on which side you´re on..

Prowler111

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a long wait for the RAZBAM Harrier in DCS, but I've just found this long forgotten vid on an old HDD.

I made this many years ago but never got round to uploading it. Fiimed with a Sony Handycam, it shows the Harrier on a Falklands bombing attack in poor vis and heavy rain, followed by a mix with the Argie Skyhawks and Mirages. Many of you will recognize this sim and is one of the oldest still in use today. I thought it might give a flavour of what's to come.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Wait, the AV-8B Night attack is pretty much identical to the Harrier Gr.5, could that be developed to supplement the AV-8B?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I'll be doing RAF/(RN)FAA liveries if RAZBAM won't do any for the US Harrier.

I was hoping somebody would say that. :)

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

There's a long wait for the RAZBAM Harrier in DCS, but I've just found this long forgotten vid on an old HDD.

I made this many years ago but never got round to uploading it. Fiimed with a Sony Handycam, it shows the Harrier on a Falklands bombing attack in poor vis and heavy rain, followed by a mix with the Argie Skyhawks and Mirages. Many of you will recognize this sim and is one of the oldest still in use today. I thought it might give a flavour of what's to come.

Not sure wich Harrier variant that is.

But im pretty sure it was not in use during the Falklands war xD

Since that looks like a Gr.5 or Gr.7 and not the Gr.3 or FRS.1s used during the Falklands war. :smartass:

Wait, the AV-8B Night attack is pretty much identical to the Harrier Gr.5, could that be developed to supplement the AV-8B?

Apart from it's avionics, armaments and countermeasures it was......

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Except most of that is basically the same anyways. It isn't like one has radar and the other doesn't. And both carry AIM-9's, AGM-65's, laser guided bombs and unguided stuff. The key difference is an internal gun vs gunpods. Not exactly a night and day difference imho. From our standpoint playing a video game, the differences strike me as largely cosmetic in nature. They are the same airframe with the same engine with the same weapons (mostly) with the same or comparable sensors.

Not sure wich Harrier variant that is.

But im pretty sure it was not in use during the Falklands war xD

Since that looks like a Gr.5 or Gr.7 and not the Gr.3 or FRS.1s used during the Falklands war. :smartass:

There is a certain amount of mission construction artistic licence used here by derStef and the combat immersion in this excellent sim (FF5) is such that it doesn't matter that it isn't all quite a match. You ARE in a Harrier in the Falklands.

It's a GR9 substituting for a GR3 on the bomb run and a Sea Harrier in the A/A part, using a radar and gun from the F-16 on a map from Korea. :music_whistling:

Rivet counting wasn't quite so important in 2009.

I will be happy with whatever RAZBAM provides plus a RAF skin and then it will be a RAF Harrier with a gun, fantastic. :thumbup:

Any idea how the harrier will appear on RWR, Or you guys not this far ahead yet?

The harrier being modeled has no radar.

But the AV-8B+ that had a radar (but its not the one we are getting)

would show up as a F-18 as they took the radars from F-18As when they were upgraded with new radars in the early 90s.

A pity it's not an AV-8B+ :(

Regards

Well its either a AV-8B NA a the next aircraft and maby a AV-8B+ later.

Or a AV-8B+ in 1-2 years.

And if it had been a AV-8B+ its very likely it would have been pushed back behind things like the F-15E.

But since the Air-Ground radar is the reason things like the F-15E and A-7E are on hold at the moment (untill the Air-Ground radar ED is working on is finished)

So during the wait for the Air-ground radar to be completed they are making the Radar less harrier.

But they have also stated a few times there might be a AV-8B+ in the future (since it would not take a huge amount of work to convert the AV-8B NA to the AV-8B+ seeing as the AV-8B+ is directly based on the AV-8B NA so the main difference is the radar and its surrounding features.

About the AV-8B.

Does anyone know if its able to use the LAU-88 AGM-65 Triple launcher?

(on any of its pylons)

Or is it limited to the LAU-117/A Single Launcher?.

And on a different note but staying on the Subject of AV-8B armament.

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by mattebubben

About the AV-8B.

Does anyone know if its able to use the LAU-88 AGM-65 Triple launcher?

(on any of its pylons)

Or is it limited to the LAU-117/A Single Launcher?.

Not sure, but my gut gut feeling is that it is the single launcher only.

In fact, I have only ever seen multiple maverick launchers on Air Force aircraft, I don't remember seeing a photo of USN or USMC aircraft with those.

It can't according to this : http://www.avialogs.com/index.php/en/aircraft/usa/mcdonnelldouglas/av-8harrier/3694av-8bharrieriistandardaircraftcharacteristics-october1986.html

But that is a AV-8B publication from 1986, it may not be the Night Attack variant, or things may have changed in meantime but, it's just one more thing makes me think my gut feeling is right.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script