Picking my next module. Help!

Mad Dog 7.62

I think its time to add another module and show some support to ED. But I can't decide between the Mirage, the L39, Hawk, or C101. Experiences and recommendations? To be honest none of them are really must haves for me, I still spend most of my time in the Hog and some in the Shark, and rarely in my other ones....P-51, F-86, UH-1, etc. I am sure I will find the WWII planes much more interesting when we have a proper theatre for them, and I am looking forward to the Hornet. Anyway, back on track....input??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

Since today L-39C/ZA is out of beta, so you get a complete product, no campaigns though. M-2000C is still in active development. The other two, I can't recommend at this moment. They have been in unfinished state for a long time, with very little progress.

L-39 has english cockpit, for M-2000C it is planned, but not yet available.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

The mirage for sure. Look too youtube movies wich one you like the best.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

If its "just" for support how about the Nevada map? I think one day it will be must have buy anyways... ;)

Since you seem to stick more to the modern aircrafts like I do I would suggest the Mirage. Dont have it, but since we seem to have similar interests I would buy the Mirage. :)

The L-39 has some use in Multiplayer for teamplay, but other than that its more or less a trainer with not much use in my opinion. (Actually I dont understand why people buy rather "simple" trainer aircrafts... but anyways... ;) )

Edited by Ayindi

I already have Nevada, and am running 2.01 exclusively, don't even have 1.5x loaded. Flew the other map for so many years, it is nice to have a change. Can't wait for SoH and WWII maps!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

The other two, I can't recommend at this moment. They have been in unfinished state for a long time, with very little progress.

I did not know that, but its good to know. Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

I wouldn't recommend the Hawk or C-101 either, they are using the place holder simple flight model and have been for over a year now.

As for the L-39, it is complete minus a campaign and other ancillary stuff. The aircraft themselves are done. The L-39C is currently available in all versions with the ZA being limited to 1.5 currently. But I bet we'll get a 2.0 update next week that adds the ZA to it too. As for how enjoyable it is, I like it. It's a fun little COIN plane that's been used in countless little wars around the world, including Syria currently. It's no A-10C, but then it isn't meant to be. It's a simple plane with simple weapons.;)

The Mirage is a pure fighter and if you enjoy that, it's a good option. It is very incomplete at the moment with the biggest issues being a lack of IFF and no radar slewing. But it does have a decent flight model (still being revised) and the overall quality is good. RAZBAM is also making steady and significant progress on it with each update released for all versions of DCS. I think they'll have all the major issues sorted out in the next few months. Very professional team they have.:thumbup:

Edited by King_Hrothgar

I did not know that, but its good to know. Thanks!

It's also essentially untrue.

The C-101EB trainer is as "complete" as many Belsimtek modules are. What has been languishing for a long time is the Light Attack variant - the C-101CC. The C-101EB is certainly flyable, and the actual plane is a pretty cool little design, if you like trainers.

My understanding is that AvioDev has been mostly dealing with the 2.0 transition, and trying to roll the multi-seat capability into the C-101. AvioDev also claims they are progressing on the integration of the AFM into their plane here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=159201&highlight=AFM

As for the Hawk, I refer you to the February 2016 update from the developers: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=161011 Despite complaints about the SFM, VAEO is planning on submitting their EFM to ED for testing next month. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether this will actually happen, or whether the testing will go well and be incorporated into the next major patch.

So ... the reports of these projects being "dead in the water" with no significant progress in a year are greatly exaggerated. However - these modules are works in progress - with their progress going quite a bit slower than planned. You'll have to decide if you want to risk picking these up yet, or not.

IMHO if you like exploring and learning aircraft they're well worth picking up.

If your interest is primarily air combat and learning aircraft systems/performance/idiosyncrasies is only a means for getting good combat performance, then these (and trainers in general) are probably not your cup of tea. Both approaches are perfectly valid, but where you fall on that line will determine whether or not those aircraft are a good fit for you.

That said: I agree that the biggest "bang for your buck" right now is probably the L-39C/ZA, given that you're getting PFM already "out of the box", can fly the L-39C as a trainer/aerobatic platform, and get rudimentary combat capabilities in the L-39C with more robust combat capabilities (more G tolerances for A2A missile release, for example) in the L-39ZA.

I also think it's more "complete" than the Mirage right now (not surprising, it's a much simpler aircraft) - although I have to admit the Mirage looks damn fun in the videos I've seen.

It's also essentially untrue.

So ... the reports of these projects being "dead in the water" with no significant progress in a year are greatly exaggerated. However - these modules are works in progress - with their progress going quite a bit slower than planned. You'll have to decide if you want to risk picking these up yet, or not.

I did not say they are dead, so before you accuse me of lying, at least read what I wrote. I said they have been unfinished for a very long time with very little progress. Razbam pulled more updates to their (more complex) aircraft in a month than both Aviodev and VEAO made in a year.

While there is a chance their aircraft will be finished eventually and they will work great, I don't see a point in buying them now, especially at full price.

The C-101EB trainer is as "complete" as many Belsimtek modules are.

Which Belsimtek aircraft has (or had) SFM?

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I would recommend the Mirage and it does have an English cockpit mod available. It is beautiful and a real hoot to fly!! In addition to being an excellent fighter, it also has a limited air to ground capability (limited compared to the A-10 or an F-16) and you can drop LGB's that are being lased by a JTAC! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The ww2 planes are a blast in multiplayer, I think i Sp they are a little boring as the AI is pretty terrible as it tends to go in circles.

Online the players fight in 3 dimensions.

If I was going to get something else right now I'd get the mirage although supporting un-finished modules irks me a bit. There are mirage vs mig servers which are as populated as the mp ever is.

Are you missing any other planes except these. The helicopters can be a different challenge and are excellent.

Buy the M2000 for me and I will gift you my Mig 21

That's quite a deal. Want me to throw in Nevada and the Hoover dam too?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Personally I would consider the Hawk. It was my last module and the one before that was the M2K.

I can honestly say that I have had the most fun with the Hawk. Not too many switches but enough for full immersion. This means as it is a trainer you can concentrate on the flying more than the avionics and let me tell you flying it does well.

Right now we have the SFM which means the edge of performance envelope is not quite as it should be but I would say don't let that put you off.

With the latest updates announced by VEAO and the Hawk pilots views of the pending EFM update I am thoroughly excited for its release in the next few weeks including new training missions and updated cockpit textures. Further down the line I have heard that the Hawk will get it's own campaign all very good news.

Obviously everyone is different so my taste might not be the same as yours. I do think I am with the majority of virtual aviators that own the Hawk and they like it.

It is difficult parting with your hard earned cash when reviews remain limited for these modules. I own FC3, P51, A10C, Huey, Saber, Black Shark, MIG 21, L39, Mirage and Hawk.

If shooting things is your thing then you can still have fun with this module both air to air and air to ground. The Hawk is perfectly suited to screaming through a valley at low level and putting a few rockets on target.

Whats my daily fly? The Hawk. If you like flying and having to think about energy management as with all real aircraft then this module exploits that feeling and with a reasonable turn of speed and performance then this could be your next module. Do your research and makes your choice, L39 is good too but as a Brit it has to be the Hawk for me when it come to jet trainers.

Here is a link to a mission I created and flew. [ame]

[/ame]

Happy flying...

Edited by WoOdZ

WoOdZ_UK

CPU 8700K Overclocked @5.1 Delid no HT, Hero X, Memory, 32gb Corsair Dual 3333mhz, ASUS Strix OC 1080TI, Corsair MP510x2 900GB, Warthog Hotas, MFG Crosswind, MFD's, Rift S.

Yesterday I bought L-39 and have to say that it is pleasure to fly with it. You will get two aircrafts and can fly with an instructor.

It has multiple choices in ordnance: cannon, cannon pods, rockets and bombs, so you can fire to some light armored vehicles.

It is a finished module. No campaings so far.

Edited by splash

So looks like either the Mirage or the L39. Hmmmmmm.......

IMHO it depends on what you want in a module.

The Mirage is a interceptor/fighter. While the L39 is a Trainer/light attacker, and both have their own merits.

Currently the Mirage is still not feature complete, and a few weapons are missing along with IFF and advanced radar. However its usable in its current state, but heavily relies on support because of this.

Overall, even if you don't speak a word of french, its very easy to understand and fly.

I have had it since day one, and i did not regret buying it for a single moment.

Not beeing a fan of trainers I would recommend the Mirage or the MiG-21. The latter is pretty far in development and in my opionion (and I think I'm not the only one here ;)) the highest quality DCS module so far. I wonder why it's not on your list? The Mirage is still WIP but I can already recommend it although there is quite some work to do.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Does the Mig21 have an English cockpit available? (Hey pretend its an export version lol). You know one thing that puzzles me is that ED has never updated the Su-25 to the level of the A-10C with a fully clickable cockpit......I would pay for a full up Su-25 update.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD