Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

At least for me, this thread has been extremely helpful for understanding the pros and cons of switching to VR (which I hope to do soon). Thank you to all who contributed!

It is also clear that DCS in VR is a different game from DCS on a monitor - there are different strengths and weaknesses. Also, long-term DCS players need to change some aspects of their work flow and certain tasks are simply harder to do (am I right?). Practice helps, but not every part of DCS translates into VR perfectly.

However, by my estimation, something like 95% of those who have posted are really impressed by VR and "can't go back to a monitor", which says it all. Not everyone feels this way, but most seem to.

I am also hopeful that new techniques and tools emerge to help VR users cope with some of the visibility challenges.

Overall, it seems to me that if your favorite part of DCS is flying, carrier ops, utilitarian tasks, and ACM - then VR makes DCS a better experience. If you love system management/MFD operation or are really serious about MP and WVR, then it might not be the right choice at this stage (since those tasks are harder or will require technique changes).

Lastly, though I have not yet tried VR, it's worth mentioning that fresnel lenses need to be well-centered over your eyes to give a good image (since they are "straightening" the light from the displays) to maximize image quality. Malpositionedlenses will probably work looking straight, but even very small changes to view direction can causes a lot of blurring of the image. Just my 2 cents on the basic science of Fesnel lenses.

-Nick

Lastly, though I have not yet tried VR, it's worth mentioning that fresnel lenses need to be well-centered over your eyes to give a good image (since they are "straightening" the light from the displays) to maximize image quality. Malpositionedlenses will probably work looking straight, but even very small changes to view direction can causes a lot of blurring of the image. Just my 2 cents on the basic science of Fesnel lenses.

-Nick

The vive uses fresnel lenses, the rift does not. Although it is still affected by position.

When I want to just enjoying flying, I would use the Rift. If I want to play at combat, I will use my 4k screen.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The Rift uses custom lenses, that try to use the best qualities of Fresnel, and normal optic lenses, along with a larger sweetspot. Its definitely not perfect, but they are best solution so far. Oculus is able to spend a considerable amount of monies on R&D, so the next generation combination of higher res displays and improved optics should help flight sims considerably.

They need to get rid of the godrays...bleck!

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

- they can push a button and snap zoom in like a telescope.

I'm not quiete sure if I misunderstood you, but you make it sound like we HMD users don't have any zoom feature in the game. But in the current 1.54 version we now have VR zoom, which works okay in my opinion. I would prefer that it would zoom in faster as it currently does, but it works.

http://imgur.com/ZnHYCUR

Zettman

OS: Windows 10 64 Bit, MB: ASUS X99-A, CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.4GHz watercooled, RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz, GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 watercooled, MISC: LG 34UM95-P (3440x1440@60Hz), TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift CV1

They need to get rid of the godrays...bleck!

Sorry your so sensitive to them. I, like many who wear glasses, am not really bothered by the effect. In fact, I really don't notice them any more, even in the black of space.

We're not likely to see much improvement as long as Fresnel lenses are in play. Some of the effect might be lessened through software and sliders, however, this is likely to require other sacrifices in fidelity. Perhaps in a generation or two this will be resolved.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Can someone who has used the development kit version one of the Rift Please Say if it is able to be used with DCS or no, and is the newer version much better or about the same?

The reason I ask is there is one for sale on Trade Me and it is buy now 180 dollars. Should I get it or forget it?

Can someone who has used the development kit version one of the Rift Please Say if it is able to be used with DCS or no, and is the newer version much better or about the same?

The reason I ask is there is one for sale on Trade Me and it is buy now 180 dollars. Should I get it or forget it?

Not worth it for dcs.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

The DK2 would be worth buying and that price would be a bargain but a DK1 would be a waste of money.

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

Since there are some that don't find the CV1 up to the task, I would suspect you would be unhappy with the DK2 in DCS. I personally bought the CV1 without having experienced VR and before most reviews were out. The one advantage of CV1 being delayed was that it gave me a lot of time to cancel. The reviews by DCS pilots and Elite and IRacing kept me from hitting the cancel button.

I have been flying since Sublogic invented Flightsim. When Flight Unlimited came about, I got my first taste of "ground closure" For me, DCS is the closest you can get to real flight on a home computer and in the CV1 it is awesome and the best we've got. For my part, I can no longer fly on my 147" HD display.

If you are in the US, you may be able to get a demo. If not read and watch as many reviews as you can to aid in your decision. many of the posts and videos by DCS pilots convinced me that this was worth it. I am not sorry in the least.

• Like 1

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

Sublogic! Wow...that's a time warp...remember when they announced in ~90-91 that they planned to do an Air Force UPT sim? It never came, obviously. I had their ATP sim and it was really good back then.

First Gen VR is on the threshold of image quality. While it's still rubbish compared to 4k screens (it's "acceptable"), the immersion is mind blowing.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Guess our age is showing. LOL

Glad you found it helpful.

Just want to offer kudos to the members of this forum. I try to contribute to many forums in an intelligent and meaningful way and I must say this is by far the most civilized and helpful group I have been privileged to be involved with. I too, have found much insight here. Goes to the higher intellect of those that play simulators as opposed to Donkey Kong games I suppose. My thanks as well

Edited by dogbite
additional
  • Like 1

Oculus Rift DK2 + Leap Motion

I found this one for sale on Trade 650 NZ dollars buy now .Is it the latest one?Should I buy it?

This is so exciting.

The leap motion looks like something I probably won't be using in DCS

Dinga,

LeapMotion doensn't work in DCS. And it's not *that* accurate. Nor is it very expensive. DK2 is pretty old now. For just a little more, you can get the CV1.

So latest Rift is CV1.

You should keep an eye on this thread: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=168141

An open source version of Rift. See what the feedback is like and it's in your price range and it may work just fine with DCS. Again, check the thread to see what the initial reports are like. From looking at the specs, it's probably better than DK2.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

DK2 should be 200 bucks; the prices people want are just stupid. Pay the money and get a CV1. Leap is useless unless you want the novelty of it. Doesn't work in DCS and Leap tech has a long way to go before people adopt it - if they ever do.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

DK2 should be less than that, You can build a better unit for $200

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

DK2 should be 200 bucks; the prices people want are just stupid. Pay the money and get a CV1. Leap is useless unless you want the novelty of it. Doesn't work in DCS and Leap tech has a long way to go before people adopt it - if they ever do.

I rarely participate in this board, but wanted to take a minute to thank and congratulate you for saying so many completely accurate things with so few words.

• Like 1