Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

So, I just upgraded from GTX 970 to a Palit GTX1080 Jetstream. The game runs but I get some funny/strange behaviour from the 3d models and textures, especially while flying in a target rich environment at low altitude. Also when looking out on my wing tip and weapons some objects (wing tips, tip/nose of weapons and pylons) look like they're almost flapping in the wind.

I haven't changed any settings (in Nvidia control panel) and made a clean install with the new Nvidia drivers.

What's most strange is that my FPS seems to be stuck at 45 no matter if I run settings to high, VR or have 2160x1200 or 1920x1200 resolution?

Is there any recommended settings, both in-game as well as in the Nvidia control panel?

Specs:

Win 10

i7-6700K 4GHz

16GB RAM

Palit GTX 1080 Jetstream

Oculus Rift CV1

So, I just upgraded from GTX 970 to a Palit GTX1080 Jetstream. The game runs but I get some funny/strange behaviour from the 3d models and textures, especially while flying in a target rich environment at low altitude. Also when looking out on my wing tip and weapons some objects (wing tips, tip/nose of weapons and pylons) look like they're almost flapping in the wind.

I haven't changed any settings (in Nvidia control panel) and made a clean install with the new Nvidia drivers.

What's most strange is that my FPS seems to be stuck at 45 no matter if I run settings to high, VR or have 2160x1200 or 1920x1200 resolution?

Is there any recommended settings, both in-game as well as in the Nvidia control panel?

Specs:

Win 10

i7-6700K 4GHz

16GB RAM

Palit GTX 1080 Jetstream

Oculus Rift CV1

The 45 fps is the ASW that is on as default in the oculus software.

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

The 45 fps is the ASW that is on as default in the oculus software.

Ok, thanks. Disabling that also fixed the strange object disformations. Now the FPS also varies of course between 35-75 on VR default settings which I find a bit low, I thought they would be higher.

What resolution do you guys run at 2160x1200 or 1920x1200, I've read that ppl use both with CV1?

Ok, thanks. Disabling that also fixed the strange object disformations. Now the FPS also varies of course between 35-75 on VR default settings which I find a bit low, I thought they would be higher.

What resolution do you guys run at 2160x1200 or 1920x1200, I've read that ppl use both with CV1?

I always thought the cv1 sets it's own resolution. What you set in settings is for the monitor. I set my pixel density at 2.0 and then leave the rest at vr settings but it's trial and error.

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

Rift has a set resolution. Just set your desktop to native resolution. If you overclock that I7 you will notice. DCS is very much cpu clock sensitive. More is better.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

I'm not the only one still suffering from this am I?!

I haven't looked at it for this update, but I will. I am another flier who likes good nighttime visuals.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Just got my Oculus and I'm blown away. I've had time to do just one cold start in Dora, take off, circle the airport (including shooting up that parked P51) and landing. I see where some people might be disappointed by resolution, but this is a while new world.

Couple of questions:

- I found it hard to concentrate on gunsight reticle. Everything in cockpit was sharp, but that gunsight projection was as if it was a bit out of focus.

- is mouse permanently locked to the center position? Did I miss some option? I've read about this week's patch VR bug and did not download the latest version, still mouse is locked to the center position...

- I can lean out of the cockpit even when canopy is closed. Is this normal?

- any VR specific options I should be activating? I literally only had time to do one quick flight and did not go into the options (I know there is VR tab there). I've read about model enlargement; are there any other must-do options for VR? Any special software to download (right now I'm using default oculus software with latest firmware for goggles)?

- optimal VR graphics settings? I'm on i7 6700k with 16gb ram, gtx1070 and ssd. I've read that people lower their graphics settings, but I did not see any problems with fps during the test flight, also, I usually use Fraps for fps, would it work in Oculus or do you guys use something else to see your fps?

Edited by mx22

I have a i7 6700k 4ghz, worth over clocking for better VR performance? To those of you who have one it was performance noticeably better after OC and how much did you OC?

It was a decade since I last OCd but figured I might try it again. :)

I've had the same for one year now.

I pushed it to 4.7GHz without any issue.

Basically, I gained around 15% fps in DCS on average without VR.

Didn't make the comparison with VR.

With a gtx1080, in the oculus I get 90fps most of the time in open areas and can keep 45fps in Vegas most of the time also.

I just needed to set flat terrain shadows, shadows to medium and visibility range to medium or high.

All other settings maxed out and pixel density at 1.7.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Edited by dax

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

@mx22

"Couple of questions:

- I found it hard to concentrate on gunsight reticle. Everything in cockpit was sharp, but that gunsight projection was as if it was a bit out of focus. "

Haven't noticed this.

"- is mouse permanently locked to the center position? Did I miss some option? I've read about this week's patch VR bug and did not download the latest version, still mouse is locked to the center position..."

Untick lock mouse pointer to headset. After doing so alt enter to full screen so your mouse does not exit the game window.

"- I can lean out of the cockpit even when canopy is closed. Is this normal?"

Yes. It's the lesser of two evils. Stopping the in cockpit motion while you continue to move your head would be very jarring.

"- any VR specific options I should be activating? I literally only had time to do one quick flight and did not go into the options (I know there is VR tab there). I've read about model enlargement; are there any other must-do options for VR? Any special software to download (right now I'm using default oculus software with latest firmware for goggles)?"

Consider increasing the pixel density to improve the visuals if your machine can handle it. It's in the VR settings. No third party apps or software needed but voice recognition software can be useful.

"- optimal VR graphics settings? I'm on i7 6700k with 16gb ram, gtx1070 and ssd. I've read that people lower their graphics settings, but I did not see any problems with fps during the test flight, also, I usually use Fraps for fps, would it work in Oculus or do you guys use something else to see your fps?"

Right ctrl pause key to display FPS in the headset. Play around with rendering settings and ASW by using right ctrl numpad 1 and right ctrl numpad 3. I find ASW on (45fps) acceptable. ASW off requires lower settings to maintain 90fps. Shadows are the biggest framerate killer for me.

Edited by Frusheen

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

I've had the same for one year now.

I pushed it to 4.7GHz without any issue.

Basically, I gained around 15% fps in DCS on average without VR.

Didn't make the comparison with VR.

With a gtx1080, in the oculus I get 90fps most of the time in open areas and can keep 45fps in Vegas most of the time also.

I just needed to set flat terrain shadows, shadows to medium and visibility range to medium or high.

All other settings maxed out and pixel density at 1.7.

Just OC to 4.4 but during stresstest it went to 80°C so I won't try more until I get a better cooler. Right now I have a hyper 212 tower cooler and I guess I need a water cooler to go further. During benchmark I reached max 75°C. CPU voltage is unchanged on Auto but it seems to well.

Just OC to 4.4 but during stresstest it went to 80°C so I won't try more until I get a better cooler. Right now I have a hyper 212 tower cooler and I guess I need a water cooler to go further. During benchmark I reached max 75°C. CPU voltage is unchanged on Auto but it seems to well.

As far as I remember, I didn't let voltage on auto. It was going too high and too hot. I spent several days looking for the right settings.

And I have a Corsair water cooler installed. It might also help.

Also, don't use prime95 as stress test.

It is totally unrealistic unless you have applications that loads all the cores with similar math requests.

DCS doesn't use much more than a single core.

Edited by dax

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

As far as I remember, I didn't let voltage on auto. It was going too high and too hot. I spent several days looking for the right settings.

And I have a Corsair water cooler installed. It might also help.

Also, don't use prime95 as stress test.

It is totally unrealistic unless you have applications that loads all the cores with similar math requests.

DCS doesn't use much more than a single core.

Yeah, leaving it on Auto wasn't good at all. Now I set it on adaptive mode with turbo at 1.28 with offset +0.001 and temp hasn't reached above 68C during benchmark. Anyway, I just tried DCS and did some low altitude flights with the Su-25T and I think I have a slight improvment in FPS. :)

Can someone tell me what happened to the mouse cursor since this last update to Beta 1.5? It's really borked and we're back to a head-slaved cursor. It was good while it lasted.

When it that going to get fixed? Forcing this in VR is really no good for those who want to use their mice.

Thanks! It just looks weird to me. Let me know how you get on.

The sky is dark, but the horizon and water have that ulgly brown gradient still.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Can someone tell me what happened to the mouse cursor since this last update to Beta 1.5? It's really borked and we're back to a head-slaved cursor. It was good while it lasted.

When it that going to get fixed? Forcing this in VR is really no good for those who want to use their mice.

They broke it with update 2, No ETA on fix yet - I assume this Friday. You can either revert to 155 update 1 or open coms menu in game and mouse will work. They've acknowledged the bug tho.

They're using new Mouse/Keyboard input ban/allow variables in their lua's since update2 which wasn't fully vetted.

• Like 1