Oculus Rift with DCS World Discussion

NineLine

@MrReynolds,

Just to give you confidence, I have a DK2, and running the latest Oculus Drivers(1.10.2.322199) on Windows 10, DCS runs fine in VR.

Yep.

Game updated ----> queue wife bleating "Is that you making those noises up there?"

Thanks guys, working really well. Everything maxed and as good as I guess the DK2 will give me :)

Edited by MrReynolds

@MrReynolds,

Glad you have the DK2 going - except for a little more SDE than CV1, I think you will like using the old unit - it has advantages (no god rays, stays cool, only requires 75Hz, not 90HZ which gives you 20% more chance of keeping up with Riftsync).

Also, I run my CPU at 4.2Ghz and with that and an Nvidia 970, I am able to run with SuperSampling at 1.5. I do not like ASW so I turn it off with CNTL+Numpad_1. I do wish the framerate of DCS was better - more like Aerofly FS2.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

Anyone gone from a 980ti to 1080 and noticed a improvement?

I'm getting below 45 FPS with the VR preset settings (pixel density 2.0-2.5) with a 980ti and 4770k @ 4.5ghz.

I'd like to be able to get 90 FPS sometimes and 45 all the time without lowering my pixel density below 2.0, anyone done this upgrade and know?

I'm getting below 45 FPS with the VR preset settings (pixel density 2.0-2.5) with a 980ti and 4770k @ 4.5ghz.

I'd like to be able to get 90 FPS sometimes and 45 all the time without lowering my pixel density below 2.0, anyone done this upgrade and know?

I don't think you'll get what you want without lowering PD below 2, even with a 1080.

I get almost always >45fps, except over Las Vegas, and often 90fps with everything maxed out except shadows on medium and flat terrain shadows.

But I set PD to 1.7.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

PD = 2+ is ambitious :)

WRT whitav8's comment about god rays...The DK2 running DCS on my other system is quite good, and comparing it against the the CV1 on my main system reminds me of how good it actually is. If they could have the screen resolution of the CV1 on the DK2, it would be great!

The god rays really suck, and even though they're not too bad on my own CV1, they suck. The DK2 is really clear comparatively speaking.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm considering Kaby Lake and DDR4 ram instead of a 1080. I see many people hitting 5ghz on the 7700k which I think will give a bigger improvement in frame rate than a change of graphics card.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

4790+980ti is all you need. Since ED won't support the special rendering features for VR of the 1080/70 cards, there's no sense in getting one, IMHO.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

4790+980ti is all you need. Since ED won't support the special rendering features for VR of the 1080/70 cards, there's no sense in getting one, IMHO.

Well, even without its special VR features, the 1080 is still around 25% faster than the 980ti. So it should make a difference.

Now that's true that DCS is CPU intensive, but as it's mainly single threaded, it won't benefit from the multiple cores and multithreading capabilities of recent CPUs.

So the gain to be expected from a new CPU would only reside in the clock speed difference.

It would be a completely different story if DCS was able to use the latest capabilities of CPUs and GPUs (multi-threading + VR features)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

The 4790 has the second-to-best single core performance.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The 1080 may be 5% more capable than the 980ti; and that's being nice:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

I'm not here to debate and don't really care what anyone uses.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

For both Vullcan and myself I think it makes more sense to go from 4770k chips to 7700k than buying a 4790. Provided of course we reach ~5ghz on the new chip. I Agree that a 1080 would not be worth the upgrade from 980ti.

I'll consider a 1080ti later in the year if I hear good results in x-plane with flyinside. I doubt it will make a massive difference in DCS unless the engine receives a major update.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Asus z170 Kaby 7700K @ 5ghz Asus strix GTX 1080 1980ghz Ram at 2666 32GB

I can do 2.0 PD with these settings but i have turned off shadows and gone 2x AA and turned off depth of field. Im getting 45 in the cities and 90ish outside. Any hard banking will result in loads ghosting in the cities. GPU load 80-90%

settings.md.jpg

a1045fps.md.jpg

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Nice, but it wont take long until someone get's killed with it. Only one arm keeps you out from ground...

Metal will always get weak, its only mater of time. :book:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd fear a malfunction like this:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

OMG. I'm thinking $6,000 minimum.

Add at least another 0 to that if not needing to up it to a six figure digit. That is designed for theme park/arcade use, not home. That is the companies target market. Just that more high use industrial engineering will make it a large ticket item.

This should be the latest product from DSD, c'mon Derek, you know you want to..

:D:joystick::pilotfly::thumbup:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

This should be the latest product from DSD, c'mon Derek, you know you want to..

:pilotfly::joystick: :lol:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

On the topic of DSD, button boxes work surprisingly well with the rift, as you have a kind of muscle memory as to where things are, and a tactile button is much better than trying to identify a key on a keyboard when you are fumbling around unsighted. It might be worth doing one aimed at VR users where the buttons all feel a little different, sizes, shapes & such, so they can be easily used without looking.

All the little hats and switches on the Warthog are like that, based on real pilots being able to find things in the dark or a smoke filled cockpit I guess. It's great being able to feel for certain switches whilst in the rift.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

All the little hats and switches on the Warthog are like that, based on real pilots being able to find things in the dark or a smoke filled cockpit I guess. It's great being able to feel for certain switches whilst in the rift.

A big +1 to that, new Rift user here have had it a little over a week, all those buttons/hats on my Warthog setup I have been using for so long, are a life saver now that I am using the Rift.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On the topic of DSD, button boxes work surprisingly well with the rift, as you have a kind of muscle memory as to where things are, and a tactile button is much better than trying to identify a key on a keyboard when you are fumbling around unsighted. It might be worth doing one aimed at VR users where the buttons all feel a little different, sizes, shapes & such, so they can be easily used without looking.

This is my approach also and it works very well. +1

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The entire premise of a good button controller is that the user does not need to be looking at them to use them. Any good button controller has design features which are robust and have varied tactile responses which offer the operator ease of use, and allow the right control elements to be used at the instant they are needed. Ultimately the goal is to prevent unnecessary distractions while simultaneously enhancing gameplay. The analogue design demands have been used in aircraft and auto design for decades...well, anything designed for human-machine interaction, actually...

I'm a big DCS-VR fan (as some may know), and have been using our own DSD button devices with DCS and VR since the 0400 runtimes :) Surely the need for positive tactile experience is essential in our components, and that's been one of the overarching demands all along. Enough about me, though...

Speaking of DCS and VR, what does ED have planned for DX12 support?

Edited by DerekSpeare

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare