DCS World Weekend Updates - August 5th, 2016

SkateZilla

Merkava Mk IV... nice! I can't wait to see what else is going to be available for CA.:thumbup:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Making Nevada free would peeve off a lot of people, including myself. I don't need ED to give away any more content that I, and others, have already paid good money for. Same for the L-39.

Edited by SkateZilla
Profanity

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Making Nevada free would peeve off a lot of people, including myself. I don't need ED to give away any more content that I, and others, have already paid good money for. Same for the L-39.

Trust me, it's not gonna happen.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I would never expect Nevada to be free but people paid good money for the P51 and it still made an appearance as a trainer in the free download.

Agreed.

ED are already re-doing the Caucasus Map to even higher level than initially planned, and it will remain free, I sure ain't complaining.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I agree but I'd go further:

I'd make Nevada the FREE map!...

<snip>

But what about those of us that have already paid for Nevada? This is where I'd suggest that an updated and expanded Caucasus map (ideally that would include the Crimean Peninsula so we can model more current scenarios) become a PAID terrain. Everyone who has bought Nevada would get this Caucuses 2.0 map for free. So, we'd still have both terrains while having paid for only one.

I've paid for Nevada too. But, as you can see, I was also suggesting that the Caucasus map (and Su-25T) become a PAID product and existing Nevada owners would get the new paid Caucasus 2.0 for free as they'd have already "pre-paid" so-to-speak via their Nevada purchase.

Personally, that wouldn't bother me as I would have paid for one map and got the other included by default. If they were to switch which one was free and which one was paid I'd still have both for the same price as I originally paid and new users would only have the one free map just as before. I can't see why that would be irritating. But, that's just me.

Trust me, it's not gonna happen.

Anyway, I tend to agree in that I don't realistically think this will happpen. However, from my point of view I still think would be good idea moving forward for DCS. Both as a base introduction for new users and also to encourage training missions like the "A-10C Basic Flight Training Campaign" to be made for a globally available Nevada map instead of a specific theatre.

Regardless, I'm just stoked that the Caucusas map is getting an upgrade. Beyond that, all this is just musings and conjecture.

Cheers.

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

I agree but I'd go further:

I'd make Nevada the FREE map! We've already established that new users need a good first impression. Well, Nevada incorporates all the new tech and looks amazing!

What are new users doing? Well... they're TESTING and TRAINING.... Hmm... Sound familiar? Why not let Nevada do exactly what it's designed for? Give them two training aircraft, the TF-51 and L-39 on the Nevada Test & Training Range for free. Then when they're ready for combat, they'll need to purchase new modules and theaters.

But what about those of us that have already paid for Nevada? This is where I'd suggest that an updated and expanded Caucasus map (ideally that would include the Crimean Peninsula so we can model more current scenarios) become a PAID terrain. Everyone who has bought Nevada would get this Caucuses 2.0 map for free. So, we'd still have both terrains while having paid for only one.

I would also release the updated (but not yet expanded) Caucasus map when it is ready and simply call it "early access" (or whatever) so as not to delay us from enjoying it while any possible expansion is developed.

A big change like this makes DCS 2.5 a good time to do this. Caucasus missions are likely going to need to be updated anyway. So make the big changes all at once.

Lastly, I'd update the SU-25T to a full DCS level product to mirror the A-10C. FC3 has the lower tech Su-25 and A-10A but both would then have improved versions as DCS quality upgrade modules.

This makes a lot of sense (to me anyway) and also leverages existing work (Caucasus map, SU-25T) that could use an update anyway (and in the process becoming paid) while also showcasing the latest and prettiest (Nevada, L-39) that ED has to show right now.

Hopefully, it would also encourage mission designers to make training missions for Nevada (as that's what new users who need the most training will have) and combat mission for other theaters.

Anyway, just my $0.02 as always.

It's a good idea in theory but not practicality. The reason being that most module campaigns and payware campaigns were designed in Caucasus. So you would make a lot more people mad that would lose all their payed for content or would be forced to buy the map in order to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a good idea in theory but not practicality. The reason being that most module campaigns and payware campaigns were designed in Caucasus. So you would make a lot more people mad that would lose all their payed for content or would be forced to buy the map in order to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fair point. Those users would have every right to be upset. Even offering them a discount on a paid Caucasus 2.0 map would be unlikely to appease them.

I was just trying to think of a way to leverage the training nature of both the map and trainor aircraft to those that might gain the most benefit from them, including ED.

Sent from my LG-V497 using Tapatalk

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

I would never expect Nevada to be free but people paid good money for the P51 and it still made an appearance as a trainer in the free download.

Äh, yes, but without any weapons capability...

As for the Su-25T, people paid for FC, FC2, FC3 too, to fly that one.

It isn't a bad idea to give people a way to check what this fuzz about "full clickable" cockpit is and give them a way to test performance on their rig.

It still is a niche market. Any Newcomer, likely will add the one or the others plane if he Sticks with DCS.

It is somewhat similar to movies in cinema, on DVD, or free TV.

Some pay for the cinema experience, others wait for the redacted free TV and yet others collect the Director's cut on DVD... Never heard people blaming freeTV for showing cinema movies. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Isn't it a little late to decide to change the free and paid for elements when it is already in the market place?

I'm afraid you are tilting at windmills with this one. It simply isn't going to happen, so debating it is simply pointless.

Nice idea, but the horse bolted long before the stable door was shut here.