Option to set world scale / Enlarge / Reduce (airplane)

misoswan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

had a quick chat with Dan who creates the flyinside-fsx software about how he implemented the world scale function and he basically said the following

The whole world scale concept is extremely simple. Let's say your IPD is 64mm. Normally the simulator will draw the left-eye from one camera, and the right-eye from a camera 64mm to the right. If, instead, you draw the right eye from a camera 128mm to the right, everything will look half the size. If you draw from a camera only 32mm to the right, everything looks twice the size. That's all there is to it, easy enough to implement.

So chaps how do we get Wags to add it in the next release?

any ideas?

Hi all

had a quick chat with Dan who creates the flyinside-fsx software about how he implemented the world scale function and he basically said the following

The whole world scale concept is extremely simple. Let's say your IPD is 64mm. Normally the simulator will draw the left-eye from one camera, and the right-eye from a camera 64mm to the right. If, instead, you draw the right eye from a camera 128mm to the right, everything will look half the size. If you draw from a camera only 32mm to the right, everything looks twice the size. That's all there is to it, easy enough to implement.

So chaps how do we get Wags to add it in the next release?

any ideas?

+ nice info

I feel the scale is spot on in DCS. I use a Oculus CV1.

I do need to move the virtual head slightly forward in some aircraft, or I will look inside the seat sometimes, but this is not due to scale.

In Aerofly FS2, which have a scale adjustment, I needed to reduce the scale by 10%.

A scale adjustment shouldn't be that hard to implement in DCS...?

On Oculus and Reddit forums, there is a lengthy discussion about the fact that the Oculus Runtimes have not been using the IPD settings and therefore world scale is incorrect. Oculus is supposedly fixing it possibly in 1.8 but there is also a request for being able to set it manually with a tool or in Oculus Home. Being able to directly set World Scale in the application (DCS in this case) is also desired - it is available in FlyInside for FSX/P3D.

PC HW 9700K@5.0Ghz

Win 10 (Build 2004 ) with WMR

VR - Reverb

RTX2070 with Nvidia 451.48

DCS 2.5.6 (latest)

I bought the mig-21 yesterday and I find the cockpit and everything inside it really small. Those super tiny switches, the labels, levers, the throttle itself (an adult hand can't fit there in my opinion), etc. I don't know if they didn't use real life scale for some reason thinking that in a monitor it can't be noticed, but VR is making scale something to take seriously into consideration from now on.

Or maybe it's actually a very tiny cockpit due to the mig-21 design requirements and VR just allows us to perceive it like never before, dunno...

Just played War Thunder recently, and the Bf 109 and Fw 190 cockpits look waaay bigger than in DCS. Really weird.

Feeling wise I would say that the War Thunder cockpits are closer to reality, for example I have the feeling that I have to stretch my arm 2/3 to reach the switches whereas in DCS it's about 1/3 and really small.

BTW @ everybody: download WT just for fun, it's free and worth it - you can check out the cockpits of almost every WW2 plane which is great fun and occupied me about 3 hours yesterday. Just click on the premium planes and choose "test flight" and you can fly around (with more than shitty FM though) and test them. I recommend the Pe-2 and the "Zero" - really great cockpits and sense of being there. Bombers don't have a cockpit though. But other than that and considered it's free it's relly really great.

Good thing there is a thread started about this topic because I thought I was loosing my sanity. It seems to me that I get good sense of scale flying the Gazelle, but when I get inside an L-39 for example amongst other aircraft, and look at my body and hands, I get the feeling that I am experiencing life as a midget. Oh and the Mirage switches do seem a little small to me. I hope one day we can get a scale adjuster per each aircraft.

After flying the Mig-21 a lot these days and getting used to it, I just flew the Huey for a moment and now everything looks huge in there. So I'm no longer that sure about the scale in DCS.

I'd like to hear something official about the length units used in DCS. Maybe there are people using 1 unit=1 cm and others 1 unit=1 inch, or something like that... I don't know. I'm a bit clueless about this topic now.