F-14 HUD symbology

Donut

There were no updates to the HUD or it's refresh rate going from A to A+/B.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

In all of the HUD footage I've seen I can't tell what the A-A gun pipper looks like. I think it might be a diamond but it also looks like that might be the square that follows the locked target.

Also, is the gun solution purely radar guided (like the F-15) or does it use the radar + INS like the Mirage?

The HUD projects a diamond for locked targets and a gun cross for the cannon as seen here:

F-15-locked.jpg

Fighter_Fling_20041.gif

F_14_versus_Everything_with_soundtrack1.gif

Gun tracking is purely a radar function. I thought the Mirage used INS for A-G delivery, not gun tracking?

-Nick

Thanks Lion! I thought the cross was the boresight marker lol.

As for the INS, what I meant was the mirage uses the radar for range and nothing else. The actual solution is computed by a gun snake which I assumed came from the INS because it contains extremely accurate rate gyros and accelerometers... no need for a second set just for the gunsight.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Ask Yourself,

What's the Limiting Factor that causes the HUD's Low Refresh Rate,

-The Hardware refresh/Draw times of the HUD itself?

or

-The Frequency in which specific data is received/updated for the HUD to change.

ie:

The HUD itself can draw 30Hz, but it wont do anything if the data polling and update frequency is only updated at 15Hz

This is how a HUD can appear to have 2 different refresh rates

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ask Yourself,

What's the Limiting Factor that causes the HUD's Low Refresh Rate,

-The Hardware refresh/Draw times of the HUD itself?

or

-The Frequency in which specific data is received/updated for the HUD to change.

ie:

The HUD itself can draw 30Hz, but it wont do anything if the data polling and update frequency is only updated at 15Hz

This is how a HUD can appear to have 2 different refresh rates

Exactly.

i should have just said it less roundabout the first time. i'm interested in seeing documentation to support your claims.

i'm not for or against anything here, in fact ive noticed f-14 hud footage looking somewhat more smooth than the bunyap preview, but at the end of the day i'm wary of theories and possibilities because they're all at the mercy of subjectivity and personal interests.

Edited by probad

i should have just said it less roundabout the first time. i'm interested in seeing documentation to support your claims.

i'm not for or against anything here, in fact ive noticed f-14 hud footage looking somewhat more smooth than the bunyap preview, but at the end of the day i'm wary of theories and possibilities because they're all at the mercy of subjectivity and personal interests.

Don't you understand the difference between a question and a claim?

The F-14's HUD seems to refresh almost fluidly in the lateral axis, thus I asked Cobra wether we will see this ingame as well.

i.e. only personal interests on display here are your own, and one of those are clearly to pick a fight at what'ever chance you get.

Edited by Hummingbird
  • Like 1

LOL I didn't know the refresh rate of the HUD would cause so much controversy!

0UxTHuu.jpg

It's DCS IF it ain't perfect then fix it.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

0UxTHuu.jpg

It's DCS IF it ain't perfect then fix it.

I know people are sticklers for detail here. So am I. I just didn't know they'd make a big deal out of something you'd hardly noticed unless you looked real hard for it or knew about it.

I just wish they'd also be sticklers for detail when it comes to things like campaigns, sorties and theaters... :dunno:

LOL I didn't know the refresh rate of the HUD would cause so much controversy!

Wow, I can't believe it either. After 9 pages, only three posts addressed the question I presented when creating this thread. I wish that there was more discussion concerning the HUD symbology and different modes and not what people dislike about it. LNS has been very clear as to which F-14 variants they are creating and what years of service they are aiming for. The original HUD is what it is and LNS is making the F-14 to be as realistic and close to real life as possible.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Wow, I can't believe it either. After 9 pages, only three posts addressed the question I presented when creating this thread. I wish that there was more discussion concerning the HUD symbology and different modes and not what people dislike about it. LNS has been very clear as to which F-14 variants they are creating and what years of service they are aiming for. The original HUD is what it is and LNS is making the F-14 to be as realistic and close to real life as possible.

Ha ha, conversations tend to get sidetracked easily when you deal with over-thinkers like us. :megalol:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over something I'd hardly notice, but it's good to know that LNS are paying that close attention to detail. It makes me confident that they're going to do as good a job in all areas of the module. From what little I've seen, I'm insanely impressed.

Generally, people like to fixate on things other than the topic when they don't have information.

You mean like this?

tomcat-huds.thumb.png.bd23ee1ebb44819754406ce5d5390325.png

• Like 1

Thanks, Lunaticfrinfe! 1+

Great to see how the F-14 HUD is. :)

• Like 1

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Generally, people like to fixate on things other than the topic when they don't have information.

You mean like this?

Brilliant! Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the info! It's great to see such a diversity of modes for a basic HUD.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"