[NO BUG - VR Settings] Spitfire gunsight and front view distorsion

3ra_Luke

Tested VR with latest 1.5 16-12-2016 patch and Spitfire, P-51, Bf-109 and FW190D. Latest WQHL nVidia drivers. Also installed the previous nVidia Drivers with a clean installation. Same results.

The Spitfire propeller creates a distortion that affects mainly to the gunsight zone. The front part on the zone of the propeller is vibrating with distortions of the gunsight and makes impossible to fly.

Tested the other WW2 fighters and they dont have that problem. Only Spitty.

Anyone noticed the same?

Tnx.

Edited by 3ra_Luke

MSI Trident X Plus 9SF-488EU Intel Core i9-9900K/64GB/2x2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD+1x2TB SSD/RTX 2080Ti/Samsung C49RG90 120hz/HP Reverb/

Yes, sever lag when flying in the spit. FPS seems to clean up and run smooth in a turn, and no problem from outside view, but in the cockpit flying, straight and level, FPS goes way down. Bummer because like you said, almost makes it to bad to fly. All the sudden I fealt like I needed to upgrade my computer. I am glad to hear I am not the only one suffering from PC performance issues after the Spit update.

Robert

If you have low frame rates, look at lowering your graphical demands on servers. I was having no issues at all flying in multiplayer. There are minimum acceptable frame rates, and there are more ways to achieve them than dumbing down a module to the lowest common denominator.

Also, it is quite possible that as the Spitfire is an early release, the frame rates will probably be lower than optimal, and fine tuning - which will continue for a while - may up the rates.

Turn off mirrors, heat effects and lower the pixel slider, and try again, you may be very surprised how much things can be speeded up.

No fps problems. Fast and smooth. Only distortion in Spitfire gunsight.

Edited by 3ra_Luke

MSI Trident X Plus 9SF-488EU Intel Core i9-9900K/64GB/2x2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD+1x2TB SSD/RTX 2080Ti/Samsung C49RG90 120hz/HP Reverb/

Using VR (CV1) I am not getting a frame problem but getting the gun sight problem the propeller is also merging with the edges of the canopy frame.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i9-9900K - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master Motherboard - Nvidia RTX 3090 - 64gb Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz - Win 10 64bit - Reverb G2

Guys with merging geometry try turning off Rift's ASW by hitting ctrl-numpad 1... I too am noticing some frame drops with Rift, probably due to the fidelity of the prop. Without VR there is no noticeable frame rate issue. Hang in there guys its day 1! There are many more improved spit days to come!

I seems to be a problem with VR pixel density.

With a setting of 1.8 or less, the problem dissapears. Strange, because I fly with 2.0 with other planes, and that problem is non existent.

I have a Geforce 980Ti, so maybe somebody with 1080 can fly w/o problems with pd 2.0.

I'm the same Luke, only play SP. Rift with PD 2.0 - terrible distortion of the gun reticle and also have very low FPS especially on the ground in training missions - getting 15 fps tops. I'll try reducing the PD and turning off ASW later. No issues with any other aircraft. And yes, I also realise it is yet to be optimised. Looks nice so far though otherwise.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Anyone else find they are getting distortions why flying the Spit with the Rift, when looking through the prop? I find this particularly noticeable with the gun sight turned on.

Yup turning off oculus ASW fixed it for me. In game hit ctrl+1 on the numpad to turn ASW off and ctrl+4 on numpad to turn ASW on.

• Like 1

Tested VR with latest 1.5 16-12-2016 patch and Spitfire, P-51, Bf-109 and FW190D. Latest WQHL nVidia drivers. Also installed the previous nVidia Drivers with a clean installation. Same results.

The Spitfire propeller creates a distortion that affects mainly to the gunsight zone. The front part on the zone of the propeller is vibrating with distortions of the gunsight and makes impossible to fly.

Tested the other WW2 fighters and they dont have that problem. Only Spitty.

Anyone noticed the same?

Tnx.

I also noticed the P51 has air distortion in the front as well

Visibiliy through the prop is an issue for me. It was the first thing I immediatly noticed on the first and subsequent Spitfire flights. Not only in the gun sight zone but on the full propeller.

I have no FPS problems...not using VR. Its not my system or tweaks needed.

Its just too dark and has lines when zoomed in...It needs some adjustment IMHO...or we may be talking a seizure inducing strobe effect. Not to mention spotting and following bogies in the distance. In that instance it really obscures the view.

Others I fly with in same flights with similar setups are seeing the same.

Its not impossible to fly...but certainly irritating.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

With PD of 2.0 I get the distortion all the time. so I turned it down to 1.7. Then with locked 90 fps it's gone, with locked 45 fps it's there. Ctl+1 doesn't work with ASW for me.

i5/9600K wc, Z390XP, 32Gb/DDR4, 1080ti wc, 850 Evo SSD, TMWH, DSD FLT1, ORs.

A10C, UH1, MI8, BF109K4, SA342M, L39C, M2000C, Mig21BIS, Mig15, F86, C101, Hawk, F-14, F-5E, Spitfire MkIX, AV8B N/A, FA-18C, P51-D, Yak 52, Mig19p, F-16C, JF-17 OPF, Red Flag2, MusRel, BnboB, Tbs, TEW 3.0, TTQ, MI8 OFC, SC.

CV1 here. Disabling ASW ( Ctrl 1 ) did the trick for me as well.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Yes I get the distortion in vr cv1 through the sight. It happens for me on all aircraft which have hud such as the a10c . It is the rifts ASW and is a known problem with things like a hud display. Especially if frame rates are low. I get round this by switching ASW off. Ctrl + 1 or Ctrl + 2 turns the two types of ASW off and Ctrl + 3 and Ctr + 4 turns them on. This probably common knowledge . The reason for the post is that for me these control buttons had no effect in dcs no matter what I did. Could not get Asw off whilst in the sim. I could switch Asw on and off in the oculus home no problem. Howeve if I switched Asw off in oculus home first then started dcs Asw would automatically be reset when dcs started. I get round that now by programming voice commands. In the sim if I am getting the wobbling caused by Asw I issue a voice command which in Windows changes the application focus to oculus home. Inside the rift you still see dcs sim but you can no longer control the aircraft . I then issue a voice command which either switches Asw off or on. I then issue quickly a voice command which makes dcs the focus in Windows. Control is back but more importantly Asw is either on or off as I selected in dcs. I know some people have no problems by just using the Ctr and numbers but for me I have to use this work round. Took me a while to work it out and if your like me hope this help. Asw is a real problem with huds.

Edited by Glyn
Correct error

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

CV1 here. Disabling ASW ( Ctrl 1 ) did the trick for me as well.

Same here. Disabling it removes the distortion.

I think the sudden changes of brightness (due to the prop animations), makes the ASW render strange frames.

Edited by harm_

The distortion is a dcs issue not just a spity issue brought about by oculus activating ASW by default. This is why there is a problem. From oculus developer site. Point 4 in particular .

"What's the Catch?

Just as with ATW, ASW is active and enabled for all applications without any developer effort.

There's no completely free lunch, however. ASW doesn't scale well below half the display's refresh rate. Depending on what's being displayed, there may be visual artifacts present as a result of imperfect extrapolation. Typical examples include:

1 Rapid brightness changes. Lightning, swinging lights, fades, strobe lights, and other rapid brightness changes are hard to track for ASW. These portions of the scene may waver as ASW attempts to find recognizable blocks. Some kinds of animating translucency can cause a similar effect.

2 Object disocclusion trails. Disocclusion is a graphics term for an object moving out of the way of another. As an object moves, ASW needs something to fill the space the object leaves behind. ASW doesn't know what's going to be there, so the world behind will be stretched to fill the void. Since things don't typically move very far on the display between 45 fps frames, these trails are generally minimal and hard to spot. As an example, if you look closely at the extrapolated image from the screenshots here you'll see a tiny bit of warping to the right of the revolver.

3 Repeated patterns with rapid movement of them. An example might be running alongside an iron gate and looking at it. Since parts of the object look similar to others, it may be hard to tell which one moved where. With ASW, these mispredictions should be minimal but occasionally noticeable.

4 Head-locked elements move too fast to track. Some applications use a head-locked cockpit, HUD, or menu. When applications attempt to do this on their own without the help of a head-locked layer, the result can be judder because the background is moving fast against the head-locked object. Some accommodation can be made with ASW, but users can move their head fast enough that they'll no longer track properly and the result won't be smooth. Using the head-locked layers (ovrLayerFlag_HeadLocked) provided by the Oculus Rift SDK will produce the ideal result.

Outside of point 4, you shouldn't avoid scenarios that produce these artifacts but rather be mindful of their appearance. ASW works well under most, but not all, circumstances to cover sub-90fps rendering. We feel the experience of ASW is a significant improvement to judder and is largely indistinguishable from full-rate rendering in most circumstances."

Edited by Glyn
Correction

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 1 year later...

Any news?

I know its an old post and an old issue, however, with the spit out of beta and me into VR, I would greatly appreciate if this issue would be taken care of.

I tries ASW off, but I think think that the optimal experience would be with ASW on and this matter sorted.

Any thoughts or newer tricks to make it more playable in the meantime?

Best regards