Upgrade from x52 to Warthog - worth it?

Hey All,

Looking for advice, every now and then i am compelled to spend money on this hobby. As i am deeply into the a10 right now, i was thinking a lot about upgrading from an x52 to the warthog stick and throttle.

Just curious for any who have done it if they think its been worth the extra cash as you need rudder pedals as well?

Also, i have not owned a thrustmaster stick since it was connected to a serial port and i had to run a script to upload the mappings. How easy is the warthog to program?

I really like the idea of the real controls programmed with the real mapping for immersion.

Fly at a desk with a keyboard in the middle with VR - is this an ok setup for this stick? Any advice / info is appreciated.

Thanks

James

Its all about money.

If you have enough the Warthog is the best HOTAS you can buy, specially for the A-10.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Fly at a desk with a keyboard in the middle with VR - is this an ok setup for this stick? Any advice / info is appreciated.

Hard to beat the Warthog with all it's buttons and switches especially when flying in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks, i know i going to buy it... i can just tell... is there a forum here i can sell stuff?

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=144

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would take a look at vkb and virpil offerings first, they don't have throttles yet but if I was in your shoes I would hold put for the vkb gunfighter with the upcoming modern grip (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=179972) and a throttle from GVL224 (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188989). The warthog is ok, but for the price has many shortcomings (check out the warthog threads in the input output section), mine is a constant slight disappointment and apparently their quality and quality assurance has dropped since I got mine a few years ago. With a diy extension it does the job, but there are better options that are more expensive but better value if you have the cash.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Warthog is Plug and Play with the A10C...just have to map the trim. For some unknown reason the trim switch defaults to views.

Flying with the WH for about 5 years with no issues. If it died today...I would order another immediately.

Sure, you need pedals!

Never had the "gimble friction" problem some refer to. So I have nothing bad to say about the WH.

Easy to map for any plane even choppers. Then you have T.A.R.G.E.T. which I dont use. Some like it but you do not have to use it.

<S>

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

It will be a massive improvement, especially if you specialize in A-10C and don't mind not having a twist axis for rudder (not a big deal with modern planes I suppose, though pretty much a deal breaker with choppers and warbirds).

That being said, If mine broke today, I would immediately switch to VKB products without regret.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The X52 is not a bad setup but for the (sliding cone) stick itself, the Warthog sphere gimbal is not a good design and not much of an improvement, it will always have friction problems. Yes it has plenty of buttons, some already pre-programmed (programming buttons is too hard?)

Keep your X52 throttle and stick to use as your throttle (you'll have all the buttons on both to use), plug in a good joystick like ones suggested above or a CH Fighterstick if you need a solid stick for less $ and it will work well for you. Unlike the WH you won't have to take it apart every few months to fix the constant sticktion problems.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189425&highlight=sticktion

Edited by Perfesser

I know nothing of the gunfigher products - are they better quality and more or less the same price?

Do like the face this is the actual a10 control which is a big part of its appeal. Also, after flying loads of rotary wing time with a twist throttle, will pedals feel more realistic?

I know nothing of the gunfigher products - are they better quality and more or less the same price?

Do like the face this is the actual a10 control which is a big part of its appeal. Also, after flying loads of rotary wing time with a twist throttle, will pedals feel more realistic?

Yeah, pedals are way better than twist.

I went from using the x52 pro to the warthog. First of all the movement is more natural. The x52 stick was a bit easier to move but it was not as accurate. I'd move the stick a little and the plane would move a lot. The curvature is looser in the x52.

I had to use other people's profiles for the x52 and it took me a while to remember my settings. The warthog is plug and play. Just map the trim button. You don't even need to install the drivers but I did anyway.

Also I ended up buying the T flight rudder pedals too. People say they are too close together but I don't have any issues. They have a small footprint under my desk and move very smoothly. For $90 they are not bad for first time pedals.

Warthog throttle and stick with pedals make learning the sim so much easier for the tutorial missions. Just taxiing for the first time with pedals I was so much more relaxed and oriented because previously I was using a slider to control the rudders and it made it difficult to keep one hand on stick, one on throttle and then move one hand to and from the slider as needed while applying brake, etc.

My recommendation is get the warthog and track ir if you don't have it. Deal without pedals for a little bit but you will end up wanting them anyway later. Especially if you fly helicopters.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Thanks, i think i am set on the warthog combo - i fly in VR only now, my track IR is for sale.

Anyone used these : https://www.monstertech.de/en/product-category/table-mounts/

don't have room for a cockpit but these seem awesome for a desk.

How clear are the dials and switches in the a-10c with the VR? I'm debating buying one today but I'm still training myself and I am kind of a graphics guy. So if I am going to have blurry visuals in the cockpit it will detract from my experience.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I have an X-52 sitting in the closet and a TM Warthog in my flight cockpit. I will always hold on to the x-52 to use if my Warthog fails and while I wait for another to be delivered.

Been using my Warthog for 4+ years and never encountered a stickion problem, often erringly described as a constant problem.

I would suggest that an extension be purchased eventually for the Warthog as the springs are firm to bring a well built unit back to a neutral position.

Thanks, i think i am set on the warthog combo - i fly in VR only now, my track IR is for sale.

Anyone used these : https://www.monstertech.de/en/product-category/table-mounts/

don't have room for a cockpit but these seem awesome for a desk.

I have had one on order for about 5 weeks, really looking forward to giving it a try whenever I do get it.

I have a 7.5cm extension on my Warthog and currently fly with it in the center of the edge of my desktop, this mount will certainly make it more natural and comfortable for me.

Edited by dburne

Don B

I have an X-52 sitting in the closet and a TM Warthog in my flight cockpit. I will always hold on to the x-52 to use if my Warthog fails and while I wait for another to be delivered.

Been using my Warthog for 4+ years and never encountered a stickion problem, often erringly described as a constant problem.

I would suggest that an extension be purchased eventually for the Warthog as the springs are firm to bring a well built unit back to a neutral position.

can you give us a review if you dont mind? 5 weeks is a long wait, i emailed them tonight to check availability, i guess I know what it is now....

How clear are the dials and switches in the a-10c with the VR? I'm debating buying one today but I'm still training myself and I am kind of a graphics guy. So if I am going to have blurry visuals in the cockpit it will detract from my experience.

I can read everything no problem at all but other people complain.

I am the same - some cockpits like the viggen are harder to see but the a10c is clear for me. I do use the dot mod for labels sometimes but with the TGP its becoming redundant. The mig 21 cockpit is amazing as is the viggen. I simply cant wait to see the F14 / 18. I am taking time off work when they drop ;)

Sticktion is not a problem if you have an extension, but it becomes noticeable without it. Just regrease it from time to time.

Joystick is a significant upgrade from x52 in every way, but it's heavier and slightly taller, so it needs some time to get used to. Throttle is also very good, but it lacks rotaries and has worse ergonomics than x52. But more switches. Afterburner detent is hard to use without firmly attaching the throttle to the desk, but it's moddable.

Vkb and virpil offerings are better mechanically, but not yet a direct replacement. To get something as functional as Warthog from them you'll have to wait another year or so.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil WarBRD, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I am the same - some cockpits like the viggen are harder to see but the a10c is clear for me. I do use the dot mod for labels sometimes but with the TGP its becoming redundant. The mig 21 cockpit is amazing as is the viggen. I simply cant wait to see the F14 / 18. I am taking time off work when they drop ;)

Guess it's just a matter of personal taste/opinion. I primary would use the headset for dcs and not a lot of other things so that's why I'm unsure.