Htc vive or oculus rift

danielkarlssondk

Remi,

Isn't it also bad advice to recommend buying something that isn't even out yet? That *already* has a poor record with the previous "4K" product? Let's be fair when giving advice.

Pimax has promise, but who knows how much of it will be delivered. I took a chance and backed it because the promise is there.

Waiting for 2nd gen is solid advice except that you can replace "2nd gen" with 3rd gen, 4th gen ad nauseum. I mean it's the same for CPUs and GPUs, no? Don't by the 980, 980Ti is coming out; don't by 980Ti the 1080 is coming out; don't by 1080 because 1080Ti is coming out; don't by 1080Ti because Volta is coming out.

At some point, you have to just enjoy flying in DCS. That's what I chose to do.

To the OP: Even *right* now, I would get the Rift. W/O any regrets.

Considering DCS isn't in 2.5 yet, Hornet isn't out yet, SOH isn't out yet, etc, there's no sense hurrying up a purchase before it's possible to even use DCS as it's meant to be used, i.e. with actual content.

I haven't played DCS in about 2 years because of the sorry mess it's in right now. I'm waiting for what DCS will become, not its current state. I'm waiting for Volta, personally, because the 1080 platform has been out since early 2016 and it's due for a new platform.

I wouldn't wait for next gen in 10/2016, but it's 10/2017, and the next gen stuff is right around the corner.

When VR 2.0 comes out, I would gladly recommend that product over VR 1.0. VR 3.0? That's probably due in 2020 or later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Considering DCS isn't in 2.5 yet, Hornet isn't out yet, SOH isn't out yet, etc, there's no sense hurrying up a purchase before it's possible to even use DCS as it's meant to be used, i.e. with actual content.

I haven't played DCS in about 2 years because of the sorry mess it's in right now. I'm waiting for what DCS will become, not its current state. I'm waiting for Volta, personally, because the 1080 platform has been out since early 2016 and it's due for a new platform.

I wouldn't wait for next gen in 10/2016, but it's 10/2017, and the next gen stuff is right around the corner.

When VR 2.0 comes out, I would gladly recommend that product over VR 1.0. VR 3.0? That's probably due in 2020 or later.

Bought a 1080Ti a few months ago for Gen 1, I'll just buy a Volta or whatever is the best available when Gen 2 comes out. Not a big deal, no point in always playing the waiting game.

Buy what you want, enjoy it while it's the best available, then resell it and upgrade. Rinse and repeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I dont expect a 2nd gen VR in 2018, I think VR is still a niche product to invest so quickly in a 2nd gen device. In addition, even if a 2nd gen came out, current graphic cards couldn't handle, so I'm fine with my rift and my gtx 1070, I think it's a balanced couple. Whatever will come out, I don't think to change my equipment for the next 2 years, and it's since january that I play VR. DCS is quite smooth and full enjoyable (I fly a-10c, ka-50, l-39 and FC3 planes); Il-2 sturmovik is even smoother and with better graphics (but still I prefer dcs); project cars is excellent in VR and if you like race sims now PC2 is out. The low resolution of current headsets is not an issue: it is undoubtedly there, but the sense of presence and the sense of beeing inside the cockpit is far more exciting. It is impossible to play a sim (any sim) with a monitor after trying VR.

Well I am hoping your wrong .I think there will be a new video card out and likewise 2nd gen VR.The demand is there so therefore you would think the current makers of these products would take advantage of the the market.We will just have to wait and see.Hard to imagine 5 quarters going by and no new hardware.

Maybe you are right, I don't know... oculus has lowered the rift price in order to sell enough devices (I paid € 900 for rift and touch at the beginning of the year and I got no regret, anyway I think € 400 for rift + touch is a more honest price) and AAA native titles are still very few, so why should they do a new device now? However, 2nd gen or not, if you want to see a better headset - I want too - (and a better graphic card to drive it, or maybe an headset with foveated rendering which makes the most of your current graphic card) you have to support VR industry right now, and if someone asks which one to choose between rift and vive I think "none of them" is not a good suggestion.

After the permanent price drop of CV1 to $399 it's not really much of a question, get a Rift. It has a lot more comfort features and comes with a bunch of games and while Vive has slightly better tracking, Rift works just fine and for cockpit games this is a moot point.

To the guy saying 'don't buy first gen'... CV1 is gen3 for publicly released hardware from Oculus and Vive is equivalent in terms of generational evolution. Sure VR is gonna get even better, but it's already legit and there's no reason to miss out on all the fun that can be had right now...

• Like 1

I have only experienced the Rift and found it to be a very good product and would recommend it to anyone who owns DCS wishing to experience VR flying. However I can not speak for the Vive machine so therefore I am a little bit biased in my opinion.

To anyone who buys now, they have the satisfaction that they got more or less a good buy, as always happens generally in life ,something else will usually come along that makes you feel " if only I had waited". Then again if you are patient person, that to will become a bargain one day, although sadly this never seems to happen with video cards.

Recently bought a 1080ti and the Rift and have zero regrets. I am enjoying both in and out of DCS.

Some of us just can’t wait for things that are “just around the corner” for various reasons.

Really, it comes down to what you want, when you want it.

There are those with the cup half empty in VR threads lately. If you want to experience VR, there is no reason to gnash teeth over their opinions. If you can acquire it and want it. Go enjoy it for what it is. I don't even know if VR will be “ready for “Prime Time” (what ever that is) before I die.

I am too old to wait for “perfection”.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

And I'm saying he shouldn't listen to the bad advice of the early adopters in this thread when they say he should buy a 1st gen Vive or Rift.

It's bad advice to recommend going out and buying a 1st generation VR device. It is just bad advice, and you all should own up to it.

Similarly, now is a horrible time to buy a 1080ti when the next nVidia card is expected in the next 6-9 months.

And is it such sage advice to say don't buy anything at all because the next generation stuff will be so much better?

There are 2 simple choices. First, current, tried and trusted technology that has some shortcomings. Those shortcomings are well known, and definitely not game breakers. Second, a technology that is basically incomplete, lacking in definite specifications, and riddled with claims that cannot be endorsed by the majority of proponents, and might well be exaggerated. It isn't available yet, and the release date is unknown.

So is the Rift advice bad? Is there really any point in waiting for an undisclosed time to pay top whack rates for something very few people have first hand experience of, or pay reduced prices for current technology, and get something now, something you know will work with DCS World, and something that will get results in as long as it takes for delivery?

It is a simple choice, buy now, and get into VR, or wait and hope. Sure you may be saving money by waiting, but by the time that second generation stuff arrives, you can guarantee you can make the same argument about waiting another 6-12 months for the 3rd gen, or for Oculus and HTC to come up with their answer to the Pimax.

I'd go for the Rift quite frankly.

I will never under the viewpoint of deferring the enjoyment now for enjoyment later instead. Do both. Get busy living or get busy dying...waiting around for the "next best thing" all the time is stupid.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I will never under the viewpoint of deferring the enjoyment now for enjoyment later instead. Do both. Get busy living or get busy dying...waiting around for the "next best thing" all the time is stupid.

So, you're going to "enjoy" using your 1st gen hardware while everyone else is literally enjoying 2nd gen hardware from 2018-2022?

Or, are you going to also buy Gen 2 hardware when you inevitably realize your Gen 1 hardware is actually garbage compared to Gen 2? :D

Why buy once, when people can do what you do and buy twice? :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I have been having a blast flying in VR every day for the most part, and have been since Jan.

I am not worried about what might or might not come and when, I tend to live for today. And having an absolute blast doing so with my Oculus Rift.

And the Rift just works, each and every time, right out of the box. I do look forward to the future, but I am enjoying the heck out of it for now! No matter how much some folks might tell me why I shouldn't be.

:doh:

Oh and yes, when the proper next gen product comes that tickles my fancy, I am sure I will buy it too. That really should not be any skin of any else's back.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Or, are you going to also buy Gen 2 hardware when you inevitably realize your Gen 1 hardware is actually garbage compared to Gen 2? :D

That's my game plan... I'm enjoying now, and when the next viable step up comes out, I'll get it... Maybe a year from now, no worries... But I'm enjoying the hell out of "the now baby". :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

So, you're going to "enjoy" using your 1st gen hardware while everyone else is literally enjoying 2nd gen hardware from 2018-2022?

I will upgrade to 2nd gen the day it comes out and I'll buy the newest most powerful GPU the day it comes out as well. I don't wait around and save my pennies, I buy what I want when I want. I think you missed my point, chief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

You currently own no Gen :

Waiting for Pimax is not a good idea. It might take long time until release and the quality is a big question considering the success of 4k.

I would recommend OP to check oddisey as it is already available for order and some dcs users already ordered and promised a review. In any case if you buy rift now you wont regret it for sure.

Most of the people who are telling you to wait haven't even used vr and for some reason giving opinions and advices about vr.

I met a guy in my new job some months ago who was about to wait for 2nd gen but he never tried 1st. He came to try it and ordered rift, 1080ti and 7700k on the next day :)

My advice is listen to people with expirience.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys, thanks for all answers! I just got the gtx 1080, I will install it tonight. Then I will buy the oculus rift from their site in a few days

Thanks again! :)

+1 best for this year. Next year it can be different. :thumbup::D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Just LOL.

And what about the Gen 2 kit, when people realise that the Gen3 kit will make it look pants?

The reality is that I'm fully aware of the limitations of my CV1. For all that, I've used it pretty much every single day since I bought it, which was last Aug. By the time the Pimax is out, I'll have had it for nearly 2 years.

You think I care about the cost after 2 years of the most enjoyable flight/space/drive simming that I've ever had?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Okay guys black friday soon! So I wonder if i should get the rift or the samsung oddysey? I dont have that large space for the vive..

I would go Rift.

On sale now 349.00 USD for limited time.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Okay guys black friday soon! So I wonder if i should get the rift or the samsung oddysey? I dont have that large space for the vive..

Daniel, I just posted a detailed rift/Odyssey comparison in the First Impressions thread. Hope it helps.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The Samsung is not "officially" support by the Eagle Dynamics Team such as the Rift and Vive are (publicly announced anyway). The only other headset with "official" mention is the new Pimax, where Wags mentions Eagle Dynamics is communications with this hardware developer.

But it's a function of SteamVR and that's officially supported. So I don't think it's too big of a concern.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1