no bomb aim in ccip

thrustvector

guys, not sure whats going on here as I used to have it, but now in ccip, wepset to sjq(plan)

nav mode 100-150m and 0.8-0.9 mach as in the tutorial and I get no sight at all, just a completely clear window, moved all around up n down, me and the window and its blank, even if I follow the tut? corrupt file somewhere?

I get the same, QFE is set. Just a blank HUD with High Drag bombs, Nav, Plan, Safety Off, alt 150, Mach 0.8+

Latest 2.2. I think that must have crept in with that last update. Im quite sure it worked just last week?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Yep its weird, I get them in the An mode but as soon as I arm the trigger, they drop really fast down out of view, no matter how far ahead I arm, but it never appear in Navy mode at all following the tutorial.

The only thing I can think that is also different is I have to trade m the nose up for around 20 secs before getting level flight, not sure what's gone on but something is a foot dear sherlock :)

I've had this happen to me a lot in the 1.5 branch. Totally at random. Doesn't matter if I'm doing DYK with slick bombs or NAV with retarded bombs, I've even had it happen with rockets. Sometimes the HUD will totally vanish when going safety off.

Hmm, seems like a false alarm from me.

Just had 10 attempts, different missions, different slots in the same mission, with and without setting a target waypoint. But this time I went lower and a little faster. About 70-90m at around M0.85. 10 successful strikes.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 5 years later...

I'm having the same problem. Hope there's still people around to help.

I learned something, though. I'm setting the QFE wrong. In the tutorial, he tells me what to set it to, but not how to calculate it.

Target is 33ft/10.058m and QNH is 760/29.92.

The formula I found was QFE = QNH - (Alt in meters / 9.3)

so, 760 - (10.058 / 9.3)

Should come out to 758.92

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

Edited by Lt_TarzanMan

3 hours ago, Lt_TarzanMan said:

I'm having the same problem. Hope there's still people around to help.

I learned something, though. I'm setting the QFE wrong. In the tutorial, he tells me what to set it to, but not how to calculate it.

Target is 33ft/10.058m and QNH is 760/29.92.

The formula I found was QFE = QNH - (Alt in meters / 9.3)

so, 760 - (10.058 / 9.3)

Should come out to 758.92

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

760 is the QNH in mmHg, while the aircraft's altimeter is in hPa. 760 mmHg would equal 1013,25 hPa. All you need to do is convert it to hPa. I've never bothered learning how to calculate it, so not sure if you just need to convert the 760 and then do the same as mentioned above or convert the end result you got a using the above.

Edited by MYSE1234

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

7800X3D | RTX 4070 Ti S | 64GB 6000MHz RAM |

13 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

760 is the QNH in mmHg, while the aircraft's altimeter is in hPa. 760 mmHg would equal 1013,25 hPa. All you need to do is convert it to hPa. I've never bothered learning how to calculate it, so not sure if you just need to convert the 760 and then do the same as mentioned above or convert the end result you got a using the above.

Thanks for that. I never knew the units.

So I just tested this and I'm still having issues.

QFE = QNH - (Alt in meters / 9.3)

Target is at 3038 ft ~ 925.98 m

QNH is 760 mmHg ~ 1013.08 hPa (x1.333)

I tried three things:

1. Calculate QFE = 1013.08 - (925.98 / 9.3) = 913.51.

I used that, but the bombs always land further than the CCIP says they should.

2. Use QNH of 1001.42. This was the QFE given in the briefing. I think this is for the airfield I'm at.

QFE came out to 901.85.

The pipper was above my velocity vector. Can't use that.

3. I used the given QFE of 1001.42 instead of calculating anything.

The pipper was so far below my HUD there was no way it was right. The pipper doesn't even come into the HUD at level flight and 100m above ground until the QFE is below 920 or so.

My speed was right, my altitude was right, but something is wrong with the QFE. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but I haven't been able to figure this out.

EDIT:

I tried some experimenting. I placed my spawn at the same airfield I was attacking. The given QFE was 910.38 hPa. This was spot-on.

Still don't know what's wrong. I don't know how I was supposed to get 910.38 hPa.

Edited by Lt_TarzanMan

On 3/9/2023 at 1:16 PM, Lt_TarzanMan said:

I don't know how I was supposed to get 910.38 hPa.

That formula is only a linear approximation of an exponential function, so as the altitude difference grows it becomes less accurate. Use the QFE listed on the kneeboard flight plan if possible. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."