DCS World 2.5 Open Beta - Now Available!

Wags

• ED Team
How do you upgrade version open beta for version 2, there hindered of pages but can't find any instructions? Do you have to download the entire thing again?

Just run Update DCS World OpenBeta from Windows Start Menu / Eagle Dynamics.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just run Update DCS World OpenBeta from Windows Start Menu / Eagle Dynamics.

Thanks but I did not have this in the windows start menu, I ran the normal updater.exe from the bin folder but all it did was login to the same version. halfway through downloading the updates full file.

WOW. 2.5 using so much vram. DCS caches video memory right?

fkGIU6T.jpg

rwAZ4nF.jpg

vNkEWs5.jpg

x0aeVr8.jpg

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

MacBook PRO 16' 2023 M3 Max (14cpu-30gpu), DDR5 36Gb, 1Tb + 2Tb 990PRO Ext

WOW. 2.5 using so much vram. DCS caches video memory right?

I think one of the major "under the hood changes" of 2.5 is, that a lot more processing is done by the video card instead of the CPU, which was pretty overloaded before.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

instead of the CPU, which was pretty overloaded before.

it was never overloaded before.... 0-20% on 2.0, 0-20% on 1.5.8. Even on 4770k

GPU now overloaded. And this caching is useless, sry.

i9 13900k 5.5Ghz; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 OC 24GB; 64GB ddr5 6400mhz cl30; 7 Tb SSD NVMe; 2Tb HDD; 20Tb NAS ZFS RAID1; LG 34GN850 3440x1440 160hz IPS; Hotas Warthog + VPC ACE Flight Rudder Pedals; TrackIR5; Quest3; DX3 Pro+ and HiFiMan Edition XS 

it was never overloaded before.... 0-20% on 2.0, 0-20% on 1.5.8. Even on 4770k

GPU now overloaded. And this caching is useless, sry.

The CPU was overloaded, because it only used one core and this single core had to do some heavy work.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

The CPU was overloaded

but on 2.5 all the same. Only 1 core working.

2.0 - 6gb vram

2.5 - 10.7gb vram.

For what? FPS? Nope, zero changes.

DCS need normal CPU optimization.

but on 2.5 all the same. Only 1 core working.

2.0 - 6gb vram

2.5 - 10.7gb vram.

For what? FPS? Nope, zero changes.

DCS need normal CPU optimization.

Yes, 2.5 does also only use 1 core and to relief that core a bit the GPU took over some work afaik.

DCS does need a proper multicore implementation, but this is pretty difficult to achieve.

Tornado3 small.jpg

DCS does need a proper multicore implementation, but this is pretty difficult to achieve.

Yep. It will be nice to achieve at least 4-6 cores optimization.

Good examples: BF1, Doom 1

Yep. It will be nice to achieve at least 4-6 cores optimization.

Good examples: BF1, Doom 1

Yes, but the problem is, that the DCS engine is a pretty old engine at its heart and was designed as a single core engine. Changing it to support multiple cores now is very difficult if not impossible. The Frostbyte engine of BF1 and Dooms Id Tech 6 engine have been designed as multi core engines from scratch.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, but the problem is, that the DCS engine is pretty old in its heart and was designed as a single core engine. Changing it to support multiple cores now is very difficult if not impossible. The Frostbyte engine of BF1 and Dooms ID Tech 6 engine have been designed as multi core engines from scratch.

Yep, you're absolutely right.

Somebody knows when will be released the DCS 2.5 stable version?

I don't have enough free space disk to manage more than one installation.

I uninstalled DCS 1.5 and DCS 2.2 to install DCS 2.5 Open Beta, but I prefer the stable version.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

Somebody knows when will be released the DCS 2.5 stable version?

I don't have enough free space disk to manage more than one installation.

I uninstalled DCS 1.5 and DCS 2.2 to install DCS 2.5 Open Beta, but I prefer the stable version.

They said they plan to make it available about 1-2 weeks after the Open Beta.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, but the problem is, that the DCS engine is a pretty old engine at its heart and was designed as a single core engine. Changing it to support multiple cores now is very difficult if not impossible. The Frostbyte engine of BF1 and Dooms Id Tech 6 engine have been designed as multi core engines from scratch.

They are also engines created by companies with billions of dollars of funding available with massive teams. ED is a relatively small company in comparison, and that makes things like that even more difficult.

It's very impressive to me what they are able to do with the resources they have. :-)

• Like 1

They are also engines created by companies with billions of dollars of funding available with massive teams. ED is a relatively small company in comparison, and that makes things like that even more difficult.

It's very impressive to me what they are able to do with the resources they have. :-)

True! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have version 2.5.0 running on two machines... one with a 1070 video card and one with a 1080 video card and the 1070 runs smoother... both fantastic. Great job by development team... Started my downloads last night (Central time)... didn't take as long as I expected. Maybe I beat the drumbeat.

Bonz

Today I spent the whole day flying with the various modules of DCS. I took a day off from work and it was wonderful. I tried different combinations of modules and terrain, climates and hours, good and bad weather. Lots of combinations with incredible light effects, explosions, shadows and much more ... now, after many hours, I'm going to sleep .. happy as never before as given by this fantastic simulator .. I can not wait to try the F / A-18 ...

Many thanks ED Team for this fantastic DCS 2.5 Beta. For me it is really a masterpiece! Thanks Wags for the announcement and the great work done by everyone. :thumbup:

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

...but this is pretty difficult to achieve.

If people would stop working on something because "it is difficult to achieve", humans wouldn't progress with time.

If they can do it (it doesn't matter is it difficult or not), they should use the advantages of multiprocessing.

Otherwise, DCS will come to the highest point of progress, where they will not be able to update the graphics and the simulations. Just because they will not be able to achieve 30+ FPS.

And what stops progressing, starts dying :cry:

TL,DR: "It's difficult" can't be used as an excuse... Exception's are lazy and rich people, ofcourse

• Like 1

Holy cow,

I just spent some good time over Normandy in my Spit ( free flight mission), in VR - and all I can say is oh how gorgeous this thing is. Clear skies, beautiful colors, deferred shading on . Wow, simply wow.

The lighting is truly astonishing, absolutely incredible!

I am so going to love 2.5 I think.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hello to all--I am in need of some help re downloading/install of the latest version of DCS 2.5. I am wanting to get the latest stable version which includes the Caucasus map, and need a bit of info. So first a little background: On January 28th, on a comp with no previous version of DCS World installed I ran the 'DCS_World_2_open Alpha.exe' file. After that was installed I downloaded and installed the NTTR terrain, and 3 plane modules. The size of the folder is now 61.4 GB. At that time I did not realize that the DCS 2.5 version was about to release or I would have waited. I want to now update everything to the DCS (2.5?) that includes the Caucasus map.

My problem is that I do not have home internet--only 7.5 GB mobile data per month. So, when I downloaded the version I now have installed on Jan. 28 I had to take my comp to a friends' home who has regular internet. His internet is slow-- only about 2 Mb/sec. To download the DCS World, NTTR, and plane modules took around 2 days. I am now wondering if I take my comp to his place again do I have to download the whole thing all over again to get the Caucasus map version, or will the files I already have remain intact? How big a download will it be for me at this point if I want to get the new version with the Caucasus map, and still have NTTR and my plane modules as well? I would like to get a stable final version of DCS 2.5--is that currently available?Also, could any one who replies include a link to the file I must run. Thanks for any help.

Stable release is not available yet. Only the Open Beta. You'll find the installer in the downoads section of ED site, just where you got the installer of OpenAlpha previously.

If you decide to install Open Beta anyway, in theory the 2.5 installer should copy files from your existing 2.2 game folder. Thus, with the new Caucasus map itself being almost 15GB in size, plus a couple of gigs for updated core files, you should probably fit inside 15-20 bracket.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hello to all--I am in need of some help re downloading/install of the latest version of DCS 2.5. I am wanting to get the latest stable version which includes the Caucasus map, and need a bit of info. So first a little background: On January 28th, on a comp with no previous version of DCS World installed I ran the 'DCS_World_2_open Alpha.exe' file. After that was installed I downloaded and installed the NTTR terrain, and 3 plane modules. The size of the folder is now 61.4 GB. At that time I did not realize that the DCS 2.5 version was about to release or I would have waited. I want to now update everything to the DCS (2.5?) that includes the Caucasus map.

My problem is that I do not have home internet--only 7.5 GB mobile data per month. So, when I downloaded the version I now have installed on Jan. 28 I had to take my comp to a friends' home who has regular internet. His internet is slow-- only about 2 Mb/sec. To download the DCS World, NTTR, and plane modules took around 2 days. I am now wondering if I take my comp to his place again do I have to download the whole thing all over again to get the Caucasus map version, or will the files I already have remain intact? How big a download will it be for me at this point if I want to get the new version with the Caucasus map, and still have NTTR and my plane modules as well? I would like to get a stable final version of DCS 2.5--is that currently available?Also, could any one who replies include a link to the file I must run. Thanks for any help.

I'll answer the last part: 2.5 Stable is not out yet, should be soon but no ETA right now. If you want to do the download once and for all I suggest you keep checking here for the installer to be posted.

The 2.5 installer should reuse all the files it can so you won't have to download everything again. However, be aware that a lot of people will be downloading at the same time so your download probably won't use your friend's full bandwidth and will take longer as a result.

I think I wound up having to download about 15 GB in addition to what I already had in my

2.2 OA which is about the size of the new Caucasus map, but you might have to download more, depending on whether updates or anything else gets included in 2.5 stable.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

I'll answer the last part: 2.5 Stable is not out yet, should be soon but no ETA right now. If you want to do the download once and for all I suggest you keep checking here for the installer to be posted.

The 2.5 installer should reuse all the files it can so you won't have to download everything again. However, be aware that a lot of people will be downloading at the same time so your download probably won't use your friend's full bandwidth and will take longer as a result.

I think I wound up having to download about 15 GB in addition to what I already had in my

2.2 OA which is about the size of the new Caucasus map, but you might have to download more, depending on whether updates or anything else gets included in 2.5 stable.

JM1--thanks very much for your reply.Good news that I will only have to download around 15 GB instead of 75 or more which I am assuming will be the approximate size of the new install (with both NTTR, and Caucasus). Thanks also for the link. I had things arranged to do the download this weekend coming up. No big deal to change that, but if I were to install the 2.5 Open Beta would the final stable version then be a smaller download as a result, or still around 15 GB? After installing the 2.2 open alpha two weeks ago, when I first ran it I saw the news update, and it said something about DCS 2.2 files would be removed/replaced during updating to 2.5, so that is why I was inquiring. I just ran DCS, and also read the info at that link, and no longer see any reference to removing the 2.2 files. Do you have any approximate idea how long before the release of DCS 2.5 stable version? Besides having to transport my comp twice, would there be there any downside to installing the 2.5 Beta at this point i.e. it won't complicate the install process of 2.5 stable in any way? I guess I'm getting a bit impatient to experience the new Caucasus map. Depending on the time frame re the release of 2.5 stable I would maybe try the Beta version--how is it running for you?