DCS 2.5 Freezes

MAD-MM

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like some of the problems are related to wave files in the game. And also missing or corrupt texture. I think most of this crashes or freeze has nothing to do with ram, prosessor or GPUs. Why should the game then be ok in periods but after updates have bugs? The computer are the same, updates or no updates.

I would think "ram" if the game stopped up a second or two, but when it stops for about 30 seconds or not continue at all after stop, then the problem is the game.

My SSD is m.2 NVMe... so that's not the issue with my freezing.

-----And you set the pagefile.sys on your SSD too?Anyway, I got a silk smooth experience after I did this.By the way, I also use Nvidia control's MFAA replace the ingame MSAA, set the shadow to flat, deferred shading is on.

Edited by Lao Fei Mao

I too get freezing the sim (20 sec) for the first time with DCS, of course with this "stable" 2.5.

I´ve never experienced this with 1.5 or 2.2.

Really frustrating with a high end machine and 32 GB RAM...

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I also had Microstuttering and heavy Freezes up to 10 seconds and more in DCS 2.5 Stable and Open Beta, sometimes even every few minutes.

My Solution against Freezes and Microstutters was:

- Reset all hardware overclocking.

- Reset DCS Settings to High (no Ultra and no Maximum)

- in Nvidia Driver Control Panel, reset all settings (also your DCS Gameprofile)

- Download Nvidia Inspector

- In NVidia Inspector Profile, select Digital Combat Simulator:Black Shark, and make the following Settings:

, Frame Rate Limiter - 38.8fps (my monitor refresh rate is 75Hz)

, Triple Buffering - On

, Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias - Clamp

, Power Management Mode - Prefere Maximum Performance

, Threaded Optimization - Off

- Do not forget: Apply Canges

Result. A supersmooth DCS Flight Simulator 2.5 Stable, quick Response from TrackIR, 99.9% no freeze (after 2.5 Hours Flighttime, a short Minifreeze of maybe 1 Second ;) ) That´s great for me!

The many Errors in the log file remain to a large Extent. I attach my log.

My RIG: Intel i5-4670K, Asus GTX 1070 Strix, 16GB Ram, 250GB SSD, Win10Pro

Simulator: DCS 2.5 Stable Steam Edition, A-10C Warthog

Hotas: Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech Pro pedal, TrackIR 5

Best Regards,

Coffee

31th FoxFighters Germany

dcs_log.rar

Edited by Coffee76

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greetings,

Nightowls_Coffee

Today!

My graphics settings set to very high.

1 Hour flown, DCS was super smooth and then boom, a big fat FREEZE. DCS did not come back, Sound was heard but the Picture stopped and I had to closing DCS manually.

I also attach a Picture of my Settings.

It does not work that Way and so we do not need an F-18C.

We need a solution. A working Base! No other Module before 2.5 does not work!

Best Regards,

Coffee

127896313_DCS2.5.thumb.png.0ea3b185702f18296b0c11a1b4fb253e.png

Edited by Coffee76

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greetings,

Nightowls_Coffee

I had similar issues with 20./2.2 freezing, but did not hve the same issues in 1.5. At the time I was running on 8-core AMD CPU, 32 GB DDR3, EVGA NV.IDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, a fairly hiigh-end PC. I also have an Oculus CV1.

I got tired of the freezing so I decided to upgrade a little, I have used AMD for many years but decided to give Intel a try, I7-6700K (works with DDR3) CPU, same DDR3 1866 32GB RAM, I also bit the bullet and bought the EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1080 TI SC 11GB, but got it before Bit Coin drove up the price by 30%.

I now no longer have freezes of any kind, the majority of settings are set to High, Pixel Density up to 2.0, frame rate is a flatline 45 fps, if I pitch up into blue sky it jumps to 90. I ran the Oculus Debug Tool to turn off the ASW but it was already off, so I am a little confused that I don't see any frame rates between 45 and 90 which tells me that ASW must be clamping anything below 90 fps to 45fps.

amessh

Where are we on a fix for this ED?

If testers/developers are having a hard time reproducing this horror of a bug.

Here are a few simple steps.

Edit the server.lua and extend the max FOV to 150 for Fw-190.

Select the Fw-190 cold start quick mission.

Use the mouse to slew the camera around to all endpoints for a few minutes.

The sim will freeze up in a few minutes of constant slewing.

All other aircraft i've tested across all three maps have the same issue.

The only thing that changes is the time it takes.

i have 2 flights yesterday with 2.5.1 and FOV 140 and had no freezes

both missions were frozen after seconds in 2.5.0 ...

sometimes i feel some macro stutter, i think there will some load on memory, but after that the engine runs fine ...

i will continue testing ...

too much ...

Hi Caponi!

That's good News. How long was the Time of your Flights without Freeze? Most of my Freezes came with version 2.5.0 after 1 to 2 hours. But a few Days ago I had a 2,5 Hours Flight with no Freeze and no Errors in the Log. That was strange!

I have not yet done the Update to 2.5.1 Open Beta.

Nvidia Inspector will help you against your Microstutters. There in the Frame Rate Limiter select half of your Display Refresh Rate, so at 75Hz that is 37.7 FPS, or at 90Hz that is 45FPS and so on. Than you will see DCS is running supersmooth.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greetings,

Nightowls_Coffee

no ... no good news

6 quick actions and 2 freezes ... last freeze was so hard that i have to turn off the power :(

Task manager could not get control ... windows was dead ...

that is more than a loop/freeze :(

FOV 140 is not resolved :(

but i have a hardware workaround ...

a screw to limit my zoom slider :)

edit:

yesterday evening i host a little mission

no problems (for me) for 2,5 hours ... max FOV 125

one client and me runs fine

other client had 2 crashes :(

Edited by caponi

too much ...

Horrible results on my end as well.

Using the method i posted above resulted in the usual complete freeze up within 2 minutes requiring task manager to kill dcs.exe.

One thing i noted however is that the FOV appears to be restricted to 140 degrees horizontal regardless of what rctrl+enter status tells you.

This is not good news for certain multi-screen configurations!

The Fov can still be restricted below 140 without limiting your axis with a screw however. :thumbup:

@Caponi and Avernus,

oh nooo... guys, that´s really not good News!

I think, it is not a Problem of Field of View. I use a single Display by 2560x1080 on 1070gtx and my Field of View is 111.0. I don´t change my FOV in Fligt, 111.0 is the Standart FOV of my A-10C in Combination with my Display. But i have the same Problems like You and many other Peoples here in the Threat.

I think, it´s an Engine-Problem, deeper Inside.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greetings,

Nightowls_Coffee

Bad news indeed.

Unfortunately locking the fov down like this means that i'll likely have to throw away these 3 screens and go out and get a 4k a bit earlier than expected.

I'm sure that'l have it's own set of problems too. GJ ED :(

Let me know if you need details on how to lock the fov down to lower levels.

Hi there,

have this problem too. High end system, settings maxed out, 3440x1440, frames around 35-60.

From time to time I get freezes, sometimes only seconds, sometimes up to 1 minute or longer! The sound continues and when the freeze is over, the aircraft is at the position it should be after the time. Pure luck it never crashed.

It happened at 2.5 beta/stable and now on 2.5.1 - no difference.

2.5 was a fresh install, I started playing DCS world with the beta-release of 2.5. Use a fresh Win10, no background stuff, a very clean system.

However I made one observation: I played about 4 weeks without TrackIR5 and never saw any freezes. Then I bought TrackIR5 and after 1 hour in the game freezing started. Could be coincidence, not sure.

Best regards

Jörg

may be that ED could reproduce this problem and we will get an update next time ...

then i will continue with testing for this problem ...

i am concidering to change from 3 1k monitors to 1 4k monitor.

but this problem is not known in 1.5.8 (for me) ...

and who knows that DCS on one 4k monitor work fine with a high FOV ... ?

i think on one monitor the FOV will be normally round about 80-100 degrees

and then the problem does not appears ...

i will give a try for a non TrackIR test ...

too much ...

Hi Caponi,

yes i have read this also, ED will bring the next Update with many Fixes. Tomorrow, i will testing the actual 2.5.1 with my 21:9 Display Configuration. It´s an LG Display with a resolution of 2560x1080 WQHD. I have a standart FOV of 111.0 in the A-10C, out of the Box.

I think, this FOV would the same on your upcoming 4K Display.

Best Regards,

Coffee

Edit: In Attachment a Shot of FOV 111.0, looks like then so... .

2560x1080.thumb.png.dc406b009aa3ac3421b6ea680ec1263e.png

Edited by Coffee76

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Greetings,

Nightowls_Coffee

I'm really very sad to see this problem contiues to plague the new engine. I have updated my installation while continuing to run 1.5.8 hoping 2.0 will be fixed. I just tested the most recent update and was very excited to see the performance I was getting. I had 122 FPS, using 8.8 Gb VRAM, 24% RAM and only 15% CPU. Then, it froze. Everything else (DCS 1.5, IL2 BoX, CoD, FSX, P3-d, RoF, X-Plane11) runs beautifully in 3x1 on this rig. I'm sorry to say that I've stopped using DCS and may not come back until this is resolved. VR is still too low-res and after flying on 3 screens with head tracking for years, I can't get used to the narrow field of view on a single screen. I have a lot invested in DCS, but won't spend another dime until this is fixed. I remain hopeful.