Vive Pro

iVVChewy9141VVi

The performance hit for the higher res screen is not so bad since it's the equivalent of running higher PD/SS settings only in this case it's for real pixels instead of sub pixels. Put another way, running Vive Pro at native resolution at SS of 1.0 is the equivalent of running CV1 at SS of 1.7 or so.

Get the Ti if you can afford the extra horsepower, they also announced 11 series cards so if you're not building right now perhaps an 1180/Ti which are set to launch summer or fall...

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-11-series-launching-around-july-gddr6-mass-production-timeline-confirms/

What are you talking about? 90fps @ pd 1.7? It will nver happen on 1080ti? 45 asw is no way performance show. I just tested harrier quuick start mission free flight not the best settings 1.2 already pushes ti on knes, not able to push 90fps ( i checked gpu bottleneck). Look ad guys with odysees and stuf with no asw it is ot that good.

I've been using the 3k Odyssey for a while. I've got 8700k @4.9Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 1T SSD just for flight sim, 1080 stock. I can get 45fps (it's capped to 45fps if capable of 45 to 90 I think) only with PD 1.2, MSAA 2x, Anistropic Filtering 2x, tree visibility maxed, and global illumination OFF. other settings all low except the first two (texture?). FPS is barely 20 when in Nellis with other AI aircraft around, but 45 or so once in air and away.

I suggest that you get the best card there is if you're particular about performance.

by the way, forget about 90fps if you're on stock 1080.

Edited by spetsnaz26

Wait for the 2080 or 1180 for 32% more power then the 1080TI. I'm wating too. :D

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/geforce-gtx-2070-and-2080-could-launch-summer-2018.html

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

What are you talking about? 90fps @ pd 1.7? It will nver happen on 1080ti? 45 asw is no way performance show. I just tested harrier quuick start mission free flight not the best settings 1.2 already pushes ti on knes, not able to push 90fps ( i checked gpu bottleneck). Look ad guys with odysees and stuf with no asw it is ot that good.

At the moment VR is not very well implemented in DCS world, i own the specs you can read in my signature, i know DCS it's not comparable to any other product out there, but for instance on Il 2 sturmovik VR works just great with astonishing graphics, with full shadow and texutre definition and you can see no judder at all and instruments are totally readable and also shadows and effects are something breathtaking, on the other side DCS 2.5 is full of judder and shadows in VR even if set to high are not that good.

I wrote all of this just because talking about what's good or what's not for VR in DCS is pointless at the moment, because 2.5 it's basically still in alpha state talking about VR visual quality and quality of life, i'm more than happy with my rift CV1 expecially for games with a high grade of VR feature implementation which i talked about some lines of text above has taken into an example.

In DCS VR performance is bad at the moment, visual quality is bad in VR at the moment, but i'm totally sure it's just a matter of time, so be patient this will come for sure. ASW is something i hate and i'm using the rift with ASW disabled in any game i play with it.

In the next year to come, things will be getting better and better for DCS expecially talking about VR and its performance/visual quality, i find ASW pointless with the horsepower of a GTX1080TI which is a lot better in performance than a 1080 (i had it before), so i suggest at the OP if him wants to buy an odissey, with future patches and with a 1080TI you'll be more than satisfyed.

Just to point out i'm running DCS in VR with default high settings (by pressing high in the bottom right corner), SS @2.0 and ASW disabled and it's not running that bad if you're not flying on Normandy 44 map which is completely bad optimized because it shows some random FPS drops even outside of VR but with settings above caucasus and nevada maps are running great, but you know DCS 2.5 still needs a lot of work on optimization and improvements expecially on VR side.

Edited by Simon1279
specs for video options

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 8700K @ 4.9 ghz, SSD 850 evo, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro, GTX 1080Ti, F/A-18C in the garage, F-16C in the backyard, F-14B in the garden

At the moment VR is not very well implemented in DCS world, i own the specs you can read in my signature, i know DCS it's not comparable to any other product out there, but for instance on Il 2 sturmovik VR works just great with astonishing graphics, with full shadow and texutre definition and you can see no judder at all and instruments are totally readable and also shadows and effects are something breathtaking, on the other side DCS 2.5 is full of judder and shadows in VR even if set to high are not that good.

I wrote all of this just because talking about what's good or what's not for VR in DCS is pointless at the moment, because 2.5 it's basically still in alpha state talking about VR visual quality and quality of life, i'm more than happy with my rift CV1 expecially for games with a high grade of VR feature implementation which i talked about some lines of text above has taken into an example.

In DCS VR performance is bad at the moment, visual quality is bad in VR at the moment, but i'm totally sure it's just a matter of time, so be patient this will come for sure. ASW is something i hate and i'm using the rift with ASW disabled in any game i play with it.

In the next year to come, things will be getting better and better for DCS expecially talking about VR and its performance/visual quality, i find ASW pointless with the horsepower of a GTX1080TI which is a lot better in performance than a 1080 (i had it before), so i suggest at the OP if him wants to buy an odissey, with future patches and with a 1080TI you'll be more than satisfyed.

Just to point out i'm running DCS in VR with default high settings (by pressing high in the bottom right corner), SS @2.0 and ASW disabled and it's not running that bad if you're not flying on Normandy 44 map which is completely bad optimized because it shows some random FPS drops even outside of VR but with settings above caucasus and nevada maps are running great, but you know DCS 2.5 still needs a lot of work on optimization and improvements expecially on VR side.

Is that Stalingrad Il 2 sturmovik ?

Just set up my Vive Pro and did 20 minutes in the Caucasus M-2000C Guns mission; I love it

• The resolution jump is immediately noticeable (edit: it felt better than the Samsung WMD Odyssey, but is the same res)
  • It doesn't handle pauses as well as the Rift (fades to a Steam waiting screen)
  • At PD1.5 I can just read the text on the INS mode selector knob in the M-2000C
  • At PD1.2 I can read it if I lean forward a little
  • At PD1 I need to use the VR zoom
  • Tracking is clearly better than the WMD Odyssey
  • It's close enough to the Rift in terms of comfort etc
  • The Vive lenses are not as good as the Rift's - the in-focus area is smaller
  • Screen-door effect is a huge improvement over the original Vive (which was the worst of the bunch); feels similar to the Samsung
  • In dogfights, it's noticeably easier to read the position/heading of the other planes
  • Am running on a Titan Xp - at PD1.5 above the sea, everything is fine, but gets noticeably bad when looking at the ground on medium settings - am tempted to set terrain detail to absolute minimum in return for high-res cockpits and enemy planes.

Agree with the YouTube video above - if you can afford it, this is the one to get.

Edited by frenzon

Just set up my Vive Pro and did 20 minutes in the Caucasus M-2000C Guns mission; I love it

•  
  • The resolution jump is immediately noticeable, even over the Samsung WMD Odyssey

• It doesn't handle pauses as well as the Rift (fades to a Steam waiting screen)

• At PD1.5 I can just read the text on the INS mode selector knob in the M-2000C

• At PD1.2 I can read it if I lean forward a little

• At PD1 I need to use the VR zoom

• Tracking is clearly better than the WMD Odyssey

• It's close enough to the Rift in terms of comfort etc

• The Vive lenses are not as good as the Rift's - the in-focus area is smaller

• Screen-door effect is a huge improvement over the original Vive (which was the worst of the bunch); feels similar to the Samsung

• In dogfights, it's noticeably easier to read the position/heading of the other planes

• Am running on a Titan Xp - at PD1.5 above the sea, everything is fine, but gets noticeably bad when looking at the ground on medium settings - am tempted to set terrain detail to absolute minimum in return for high-res cockpits and enemy planes.

Agree with the YouTube video above - if you can afford it, this is the one to get.

Isn't it the exact same resolution as the Odyssey?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Isn't it the exact same resolution as the Odyssey?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uff you're right. Goes to show how good subjective opinions are - I bet the difference was the PD settings I had at each setup

Will update original post - thanks for calling out my daftness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Now, I'm not ragging on the Eagle Dynamics Team at all, as the phrase "all in good time" holds true I'm certain. Also I could opt for and get a 1080ti, and I'd likely be OK to go with DCS World 2.5, but graphics cards are unjustifiable too expensive at the moment, and as Froogle also pointed out, so is the Vive Pro.

Plus, I have just too much going on in my real life at this time juggle.gif, so to have that temptation on my head right now would just be another :wallbash: with the Misses.. :disgust::wub: :love:.

Maybe around this ... :santa: :renske: :thumbsup:.

I am with you there, not going to give up my Oculus setup along with the Touch Controllers anytime soon.

I am going to hold out for a couple of reasons:

More of a second generation product, rather than just a small jump in resolution.

I want to do a new PC build a little later this year, don't need the additional expense - and going from Oculus to Vive Pro would be a big expense.

If I had originally gone with Vive and that was what I had now, I would probably at least consider it. Still though I really want to tackle the new build before spending any more significant funds on VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I wish there was a way to record "through the eyes" that shows what the eye sees. I don't know of Froogle's videos are representative of that or not. It certainly *does* seem sharper. I can't wait for the real life reviews. Now...where the hell is my Pimax 8. LOL. Things are looking up in VR/DCS

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The photo in this thread is a pretty good comparison if you're familiar with what the original Vive looked like.

Thanks. I did have the original Vive. But it's really supersampled so I don't know how realistic it is. I get that he wanted to show the upper max possible.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I got the Pro too and the difference is pretty drastic if you can run supersampling130% or more. However I cant see using it in DCS as there is no way to run this 90 fps withou killing all details and the Vive has no ASW. iRacing and Skyrim VR are super awesome tho. For DCS I will stick to my Rift even tho it hurts...