Do I need 32GB of Memory now?

Mission Design has a responsibility as well. You need to work within the limits of the sim, and 2.5 brought changes that need to be adjusted for, ED is working hard to make it better, but there is no unlimited ceiling for mission designers either.

Lets us get some of that Dynamic Campaign action and we won't have to worry about mission designers at all....

giphy.gif

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
It would be fun to know what happens with the fps if you move yourself very far away from them and also if you set the uncontrolled ones to late activation. Most interesting would be the difference in fps between a screen where you are looking att the ramp with no units at all in the mission vs the same where you have the 40 or 150 uncontrolled ones set to late activation. Its clear from your test though that its better to use statics than uncontrolled.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

I didnt take a screenshot, but my FPS were maxed 60 at distance. or if I looked away when I was close.

If they started moving I am sure it would be even more hectic. But I think it illustrates that you can make adjustments based on your own puter power.

Very nice..do you guys have some sort of settings you use for testing in VR? Or that you recommend? I'm assuming your system may be similar to mine because outside of VR I never had any issue running everything on high.

I should have VR very soon, I have been a late adapter. I have an RC2 Rift, but its meh. I know many on the test team do have VR though.

Lets us get some of that Dynamic Campaign action and we won't have to worry about mission designers at all....

Soon :D

ND7Ax.gif

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I didnt take a screenshot, but my FPS were maxed 60 at distance. or if I looked away when I was close.

If they started moving I am sure it would be even more hectic. But I think it illustrates that you can make adjustments based on your own puter power.

I should have VR very soon, I have been a late adapter. I have an RC2 Rift, but its meh. I know many on the test team do have VR though.

Soon :D

ND7Ax.gif

Cool I would be interested in seeing what settings you settle on for VR when you get it. I have both an occulus and an odyssey but the occulus is not really being used anymore.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

32 Gb for DCS

Do not forget Windows uses a lot of cache memory to speed things up...so go for the maximum memory that your motherboard permits.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m considering joining the DCS A10C world. I haven’t downloaded the DCS software yet, but I have been following this thread to determine how much memory (I presently have 8GB) I need. Do those of you using version 2.5.1 (version with the memory fix) have a definitive answer yet? My system can handle up to 32 GB.

I’m considering joining the DCS A10C world. I haven’t downloaded the DCS software yet, but I have been following this thread to determine how much memory (I presently have 8GB) I need. Do those of you using version 2.5.1 (version with the memory fix) have a definitive answer yet? My system can handle up to 32 GB.

You do know DCS World is free right? The A-10C is an addon module.

DCS comes with two free aircraft for you to use, why not download DCS and give it a go on your system?:)

GPU?

CPU?

We highly recommend an SSD drive for DCS too.

Welcome to the forum to Cacher.

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Yes, I’m aware that DCS World is free and the addons (A10C) cost $$. I’m just prepping my system so that I get the best presentation possible. My system is a follows:

Intel CoreI-74790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0 GHz

Gigabyte GTX 970 Video card with 4GB video memory

Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 500 GB

G-SKILL Trident X Series 8GB DDR3 2400 memory

As my video card is below what is recommended, what problems will I have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Cacher

Very in-between, GTX 760 to GTX 1070

More ram would help, you can lower the pre radius down to help this and more work is being done on ram resources. You don't have a bad system and will work around medium to high settings @ 1080P.

You would benefit greatly upgrading GTX 1060 6gb, then again new cards are coming out soon and hopefully ram prices could drop after the scam?

I think that system will be fine at 1080P with a few settings bumped down a little here and there. Perhaps don't load up any huge mission, guess you'll be doing the small built in training mission for the A-10C, it should be fine for that.

The A-10 has it's own 600 page manual, I always recommend all Chuck's pdf guides which can greatly help with some frustration along the way, good bedtime reading. More advance training for the A-10C over on the 476vfightergroup, checklists, tactical flight etc.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

This may be a bit off topic but I followed the advice to use static objects instead of real, AI disabled units. The problem though is that the static objects spawn on top of the structures.

I assume it's a known issue or should I report it in bugs section? I guess the only workaround is to create a real AI-uncontrolled units in case of any covered parking spots.

Screen_180508_003055.thumb.jpg.98bc2b927b60e0873ff50caae21bc335.jpg

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

• 1 year later...

I have 16 GB of RAM as well, and I am STRUGGLING in multiplayer servers whenever there's more than 10 players on the server. LAG (and this is not even network lag, it's just pure and simple system memory bottleneck) makes me experience SO MUCH RAGE.

It's like I'm playing a Power Point Presentation. 15 SECONDS PER FRAME. And the simulation doesn't stop when your screen freezes, as your system is trying to allocate RAM for the stuff being constantly loaded, unloaded, reloaded and refreshed, which may result in you crashing into the ground or a mountain, while you had no idea what your plane was doing, since your screen was frozen and audio stopped.

I personally think this is ridiculous. Unacceptable, actually. REALLY annoying.

Edited by WilliamLink

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @3.6GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 8GB | HyperX Fury 16GB RAM @2666MHz | ASUS Prime B-350 Plus | OCZ Fatal1ty 750W PSU | Kingston UV400 120GB SSD | 1.25TB HDD Total | NZXT Phantom Black Full-Tower ATX Case | Saitek-Mad Catz F.L.Y.5 Flight Stick + Xbox 360 Controller + Keyboard + Mouse Combo for DCS | FreeTrack + PS3 Eye + 3-LED clip Combo for headtracking

I too have 16Gb of RAM, and was experimenting with the windows swap config the other day. So, if I turn the swap file off entirely - gulf missions don't get loaded, and DCS simply crashes. That may suggest that 16Gb is not enough at least to play gulf missions.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Having 32GB of memory I can confirm everything is smooth here.

RAM prices have really come down so, I guess its time to update your machines to keep up with the times. It's in the nature of this hobby, more so than most of the games the majority of people play.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Not to be horrible to you guys struggling with 16GB... while I feel you pain (well I don't actually, but what I mean is I sympathise), it is what it is. Rather than complain do one of two things:

1) Play single player campaigns with your 16GB setups. Or better 2) Upgrade to 32GB RAM. Forget all the marketing spin about fast RAM. Yes, it does make a marginal difference. But the difference between 16GB and 32GB is orders of magnitude in situations - like multiplayer - where you would be memory limited. Like Pilotasso said, the cost of 32GB is less crippling these days especially for the modest clock speed stuff.

[One other option is an Optane memory / accelerator drive. Intel was pushing this towards people using Star Citizen a while back. But that is only an option for Intel CPU users, not AMD.] - nah forget Optane... I had not looked recently. Price is crazy. Just get the extra RAM.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm still on 16 GB and all maps and MP work fine here. Sure, framerates could be better and I do get occasional stutters, but in terms of stability I really can't complain. I don't often fly on very crowded MP servers, but just recently we were some 20 clients on the PG map and it was all playable.

Having looked at quite a few PCs, my overall impression is that most pre-configured computers come with tons of bloatware already installed. Over time, things get worse, a lot worse if users don't pay attention. Hell, my dad's computer had Chromium installed. It's the first time ever I've seen Chromium (not Chrome) on a computer. Every single time I visit, his home page is set to yet another bloody search engine that no one ever heard of, and that is of no use whatsoever.

Recently a colleague asked me to take a look at his gaming notebook. He wanted to play "The Division 2" and said it would't even launch. And if or when it did, FPS were so horrible it was unplayable. All I did was kick Steam, Uplay, Origin, and a few other applications out of auto start, and the game ran completely fine after that.

Those DCS players who say their rigs won't even run MP or the PG map on 16 GB, dunno, maybe you should try to do some performance tuning, clean up auto start, make sure you run only one AV at a time (no kidding; I've seen Windows PCs with like McAfee and Avira running at the same frigging time) or maybe test another AV solution. And do make a backup before starting any performance tuning; you are likely to destroy your Windows installation if you're new to this. ;)

Sure, I can't guarantee DCS will run fine on a clean system, but I can pretty much guarantee it will run crappy on a bloated system, especially when you're at the lower end of specs.

Yes for multiplayer is 32gb better. :thumbup:

DCS OpenBeta

A10C, F18, F14, F5, F86, AJS37, UH-1, Gazelle, KA-50, CA, FC3, P51, M2000, Harrier, SC, A-10C II

Gigabyte GA-Z170 HD3P | I7 6700k | Corsair 3200 32GB Ram | Palit Geforce RTX 2080 Ti GamingPro OC | Crucial MX500 1TB SSD | WD Blue 1TB HDD |

Win10 Pro 64bit | Track IR Clip | TM Warthog + MFD | 27" Asus PB277Q WQHD | Monstertech Tischhalterung für TM Warthog | TM Rudder Pedals

...my overall impression is that most pre-configured computers come with tons of bloatware...

Those DCS players who say their rigs won't even run MP or the PG map on 16 GB, dunno, maybe you should try to do some performance tuning, clean up auto start, make sure you run only one AV at a time...

This seems like good advice for anyone. Even if you have 32GB of RAM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would never buy prebuilts in those conditions. A few days ago I had to uproot BING out of my fathers laptop and it kept coming back until I had erased all entries in registry, and deleted the files on the hard drive (by tracking the threads from the task manager to the source directory). Just like malware. I even joked I was fighting skynet.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I would never buy prebuilts in those conditions. A few days ago I had to uproot BING out of my fathers laptop and it kept coming back until I had erased all entries in registry, and deleted the files on the hard drive (by tracking the threads from the task manager to the source directory). Just like malware. I even joked I was fighting skynet.

Easier just to change the default to google, no?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

not if it’s rooted in

No I get that. But what's the point of it? It's not doing anything that's measurable in terms of performance. If it's the "I hate bloatware" stance, then calc, notepad, IE, Edge, Clock, File Explorer, PDF print, snippet, sticky notes and about 100+ Windows specific DLLs would have to removed. I guess I don't see the ROI of trying to remove Bing that isn't doing much if the default is changed to google.

And before someone chimes in with "but it sends stuff back to Microsoft in the background..." I read packet traces for a living. Just about EVERY app phones home and transfers stuff. And because it's encrypted, you can't really see whats in it. I could go through the trouble of getting the ephemeral keys to try and decode the TLS 1.2/3 packets, and then try to re-engineer any binary bits, but at some point it seems pointless.

If you want almost full control of every aspect of every OS, you'd have to download the sourcecode for Linux flavor of your choosing, remove the stuff you don't want and compile it yourself. Again, seems like there is a diminishing ROI.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you want almost full control of every aspect of every OS, you'd have to download the sourcecode for Linux flavor of your choosing, remove the stuff you don't want and compile it yourself. Again, seems like there is a diminishing ROI.

or go OpenBSD. ;)

https://www.openbsd.org/

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Just about EVERY app phones home and transfers stuff. And because it's encrypted, you can't really see whats in it. I could go through the trouble of getting the ephemeral keys to try and decode the TLS 1.2/3 packets, and then try to re-engineer any binary bits, but at some point it seems pointless.

yep.

that’s why some of these threads make me smile.

the battles some of us choose

to fight...

makes life interesting.