Buying my first flight seat! Open minded. Any recommendations?!

Hey all. 6 mo into DCS. Run it in VR and absolutely love this sim. It's time to start setting up a nice gaming flight seat and sim area at the house. I have the x52, 1080ti, 34" monitor, oculus, etc. Please advise -

1 - What would be a good flight seat? I'm googling and really am not sure what to look at. I found these (see below) and they basically are a swivel chair with areas to set my x52 on. I run in VR so am not too worried about monitor use as I prefer VR. What do you guys think makes sense for a flight seat? Don't we want something that also has an area for the keyboard just for navigating the desktop? Using some rare commands etc?

https://www.google.com/search?ei=2JgQW6qoCMS4tQWex5vIBg&q=flight+seat+sim&oq=flight+seat+sim&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30k1l9.2733.3837.0.4284.6.5.1.0.0.0.116.464.4j1.5.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.6.463...0i67k1j0i20i263k1.0.NMgDaWy9vww

I'm very open minded. Thank you in advance

Cool, very green with envy here. If I was making that decision; I'd go for one which would accommodate a stick between the legs, rather than off to one side. So a gap, much like you see with an ejection seat.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

+1 on the Wheelstand pro.

I have it set-up with the joystick center mounted with a 15cm extension.

i7 9700k@5.0 Ghz, 32gb DDR4-3200, Maximus XI Formula, Asus Strix GTX 1080ti, 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Graphite Black, Wheelstandpro Warthog Deluxe V2, TrackIR 5 Pro. ROG Swift PG278Q 2560x1440, 12" Eyoyo LCD 1366x768 for TM Cougar MFDs.

The ultimate cockpit!

https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/gtultimate-v2-flight-simulator/

Then add the motion platform and VR for a mind boggling real flying experience http://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-motion-platform-v3/

Can't even mount a stick extension, no thanks.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

The ultimate cockpit!

https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/gtultimate-v2-flight-simulator/

Then add the motion platform and VR for a mind boggling real flying experience http://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-motion-platform-v3/

For the total price of all that I would rather buy the dof reality motion platform. One guy on youtube even modded it so that the screens move with the platform.

Take a look at the Speedmaster Flightseat, which I think is perfectly geared towards flightsims. I myself will probably go for an Obutto Ozone, because I want to be able to mount my racing controls, too.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

This Obutto Looks great! I'm leaning towards that. A couple questions -

- One thing I like is that this seems like an all purpose cockpit. Is this comfortable for regular office use as well? How about games like overwatch, dota, etc?

- Arm rests are a must for me with my current office chair. Does Obutto's side rests on the main chair provide enough "relief" that it works the same or as well as arm rests? Want to stay comfy

- Obutto's website says earliest delivery is July 31 or so. 2 months is a LONG time for an impatient person. Any tips on getting one quickly? I'm in the Los Angeles / Orange County California region.

Great advice and tips guys. Thank you in advance!

Obuttos are amazing, have been using them for years. The seat itself is a bit on the narrow side, so if you have broader shoulders it might be a tad uncomfortable in some cases. Pillows as neckrest help quite a bit. I'd love some armrests but have been unable to make that happen so far but the rather low position of the keyboard/mouse tray makes you comfy even in long sessions.

In the US, Main Performance PC are the distributor if I recall correctly?

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I'm now leaning towards the Volair Sim

http://www.volairsim.com/home.html

I like that it has armrests I may purchase separately, that the chair is rumored to be more comfortable, and that it can arrive in a week or two. Obutto is showing 60 days or so. Again I like the armrests of Volair and other features I mentioned as well. The only complaint I"ve seen people say about the Volair is the monitor distance is a bit far. I wonder if I can adjust that somehow anyway or if anyone here has any thoughts?

Thank you!

Well, the Volairsim is nice but everything is fixed! On Obutto, everything swivels and adjusts without having to get tools out once you completed the basic build.

While I'd love to have armrests on my Obutto, the ones of the Volair seem to be an interesting solution. However, they seem to be pretty wide, even at the most inward position they seem to be quite wider than the seat itself which would mean you'd have to be a quite broad-shouldered guy to use them - in which case the seat will not be comfy for you as it hugs you from the rear and seat dimensions would have to correlate with your shoulder width.

I plan to replace the seat on my obutto and mount a NobleChair Icon to it at some point which does come with armrests, if I succeed with that it will be the best of both worlds.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I have a Volair I can tell you I love it. I use it for Everything. Fly,drive,FPS. No issues. The seat is very comfy as well. Everything is adjustable too (no tools needed to do so). The mounts can be adjusted to your preference. And, it’s cheaper than the others.

As you can see, I took the table and flipped it over,attached a 4th monitor to it for dials and such. I moved the stick to the center from the side since this pic was taken. OH, and the Keybard tray does articulate. I have it sitting off to the side at an angle. Pretty comfortable.

734803160_VolairSimsetup.thumb.jpg.5ac3b66b1f768ebc22d55d931eb8e31f.jpg

Edited by strike277

Your Search-Fu is far better than mine!

I have a Volair I can tell you I love it. I use it for Everything. Fly,drive,FPS. No issues. The seat is very comfy as well. Everything is adjustable too (no tools needed to do so). The mounts can be adjusted to your preference. And, it’s cheaper than the others.

As you can see, I took the table and flipped it over,attached a 4th monitor to it for dials and such. I moved the stick to the center from the side since this pic was taken. OH, and the Keybard tray does articulate. I have it sitting off to the side at an angle. Pretty comfortable.

Thank you Strike! This is such a good answer. A couple quick points if I may -

1 - Some people above say that Volair does not have articulating keyboard but you say it does. Perhaps they have an older Volair? It seems like it articulates on their website so I SHOULD be able to game FPS type games and perform standard office work comfortably, correct?

2 - Any thoughts on monitor distance? If you tell me it is a bit far, is it adjustable somehow? Are there solutions such as a wall mount attachment aftermarket and simply extend the monitor forward?

3 - Any further thought on Volari armrests? Obutto doesn't have any and Volair does...which is huge to me.

4 - Oh and I like the way you seem to have it in the pic. Thruster on left, stick on right instead of mid, and then I prefer keyboard in middle. Basically x52 on sides and keyboard middle with articulation. This is possible out of the box, correct?

5 - Finally, even thought I use my regular desk at home with x52 on sides and think I will want the same with Volair, any thoughts on what I'm missing and that I may want flight stick in middle as some people do? I really think I'll want x52 on both sides but thought I'd ask

Good stuff here. Anyone chime in please not just strike277 above. Making a purchase today so I truly value all of your varied input and perspectives.

Edited by redmantab
additional thoughts

I have an Obutto Ozone (but removed the monitor and pedal mount), and I have to say I don't really miss an armrest while flying, considering that I have a center mounted stick.

About the monitor mount: I never liked the one for the Ozone, because it is fixed, and as you said, it seemed too far away and cannot be pulled closer. Not so much of an issue in VR, but for other games I didn't like it at all. Ended up wall-mounting a VESA mount that I can pull towards me.

In the end, if I had to do it all over again, I would go with a Monstertech Rig instead (even though you have to buy a seat separately).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

RRohde, sound advice.

I've been waiting, watching, and reading opinions of others who have gone before me in this arena. We have large gaming tables from Bestar, 3 setups using 2 large gaming surface tables each meeting in the corners of our gaming rooms, and set up for our flying with DxRacer chairs, using desktops for our 2 VKB equipped systems, and the Virpil desk clamp/mounts for the other.

We decided on going with Monster Tech, I'm going to purchase 3 chairs/cockpits eventually, but am going to start with 1 first, and build it and see how I like it. Going with the entire setup, not triple monitor, just a single for my 34" Asus 100hz Gsync, but will be using the Rift/Samsung mostly anyway. Monster with the arm rest/etc is how I want to go, they also provide plates for all the various sticks I have so I can quickly swap them out as I want to (I have all the TM/CH/Vipril/VKB sticks and enjoy changing them about). This was a critical issue in my decision, but not the only one - Monster offers plates for every stick/throttle type for their mounts, and I want options for side and center stick.

Not going to be inexpensive, so near as I can tell, with all the stick/throttle plates I want, and the various arm rest/stick mount options I want, it'll be nearly $1500 CAD after tax, shipping, etc, just for a single unit. Ouch. Should be worth it though I think, I'll post pics once they are able to fill the order and send it out to me.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Thank you Strike! This is such a good answer. A couple quick points if I may -

1 - Some people above say that Volair does not have articulating keyboard but you say it does. Perhaps they have an older Volair? It seems like it articulates on their website so I SHOULD be able to game FPS type games and perform standard office work comfortably, correct? YES

2 - Any thoughts on monitor distance? If you tell me it is a bit far, is it adjustable somehow? Are there solutions such as a wall mount attachment aftermarket and simply extend the monitor forward?

I don't have an issue with the distance of the monitor from where I sit. The seat is adjustable, as is the frame.

3 - Any further thought on Volari armrests? Obutto doesn't have any and Volair does...which is huge to me.

I don't have the arm rests. However, I'll order them ASAP. Just having the option is huge. You can also order extra mounting brackets for both sides giving you extra room.

4 - Oh and I like the way you seem to have it in the pic. Thruster on left, stick on right instead of mid, and then I prefer keyboard in middle. Basically x52 on sides and keyboard middle with articulation. This is possible out of the box, correct?

Yes

5 - Finally, even thought I use my regular desk at home with x52 on sides and think I will want the same with Volair, any thoughts on what I'm missing and that I may want flight stick in middle as some people do? I really think I'll want x52 on both sides but thought I'd ask.

You have the option to mount it on the side or in the middle OUT OF THE BOX. It comes standard with three mounting plates. You can even (If you have two) Mount one on the side and in the middle at the same time if you want. Out of the box.

Good stuff here. Anyone chime in please not just strike277 above. Making a purchase today so I truly value all of your varied input and perspectives.

1- Yes

2-I don't have an issue with the distance of the monitor from where I sit. The seat is adjustable, as is the frame.

3- I don't have the arm rests. However, I'll order them ASAP. Just having the option is huge. You can also order extra mounting brackets for both sides giving you extra room

4- Yes

5- You have the option to mount it on the side or in the middle OUT OF THE BOX. It comes standard with three mounting plates. You can even (If you have two) Mount one on the side and in the middle at the same time if you want. Out of the box.

Your Search-Fu is far better than mine!