PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

you're welcome MilesD, it has been interesting and I'm sure there are plenty more who are just waiting in the background. I'll stop the updates now you have enough info to go on.

On a second note, I have a Rift and a Samsung Odessey (WMR.) I use the Odessey in DCS as it is IMO way better than either the Vive or the Rift it's on par with the Vive Pro at less than half the price tag.

Being WMR the Odessey does not use any lighthouses or satellites (although it can use the Vive lighthouses) the controllers use blue tooth but I don't use them either in DCS.

I am also waiting for delivery of a Pimax 5K plus (maybe a few months away) which also uses lighthouses either it's own or it can use the Vives. Although I can't see there being a problem with the Odessey there may be a problem with the Pimax.

If you know anyone out there who could also give them a test it would be useful to know although I know this may be difficult with the Pimax as only a few have been released.

Anyway here are a few links to a YouTuber I follow (SweViver) I think gives a good all-round side by side testing comparison between the top VR and WMR headsets for anyone interested in this sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ33TPQYw_-c6itr0ReIu-Q/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=7

cheers.

Miles, shame to hear about the issues but good thing you spotted them now before sending them out!

I'm guessing you want to keep one version thats compatible with all rather than branch it off into an Oculus version and a Vive version etc. I'm strictly Oculus so if you want to roll out Oculus compatible test units I'm still interested but I understand if you want to get the issues fixed first. Fingers crossed whatever workaround required for it to work with Vive doesn't impact tracking performance too much.

D

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Looks like the polarizors are out, anything close to economical will not get into the IR range that we need. Im working on capturing frames only between strobe and laser sweeps of the light house. It will reduce cursor FPS to 60, but it probably wouldn't be noticeably.

Edit: Without getting to far into the weeds I believe I have a workable solution. The Vive tower actually strobes every 8ms followed by the laser sweep of either X or Y axis which takes 8ms also. I only need about 1.2 ms exposure for the PointCTRL sensor. My intent is take a frame after each strobe firing. As long as the lighthouses are pointing approximately toward the Vive the exposure will be completed before the laser reaches it. These numbers also put us back up to up to 120 FPS on the mouse. I hope to write some code and add a IR photo-detector to the HMS tonight. I do have to confirm that both lighthouses fire at the same time though. Even if they don't fire concurrently I believe I will still have enough time to capture the frame. @Los, When ever you are free I will come by with another bottle of wine for another testing session.

Miles

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

BTW MilesD, (I may have asked this before) how does and 18Z turn into cranking out a VR mouse? Interesting pivot in your career!

Can't wait to place an order. I'm going to transition to Lighthouse when my pimax shows up, so I'm glad you caught the interference. Hopefully, the solution will work with Lighthouse V2 that's coming out.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

...how does and 18Z turn into cranking out a VR mouse? ...

Someone probably told him he couldn't do it. :)

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

Even with the interference it was a pretty awesome experience. I have a vr cockpit already, and the point control worked as advertised though it was jumpy in some configurations due to the issues Miles mentions. Flew some low level A4e sorties over San Carlos Bay and was making switch adjustments on the fly maybe 15 seconds before low level drop without an issues.

Also same with F/A18c for case I. The point control works very nice on rotary switches. Hold button down, rotate finger!

"Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

...how does and 18Z turn into cranking out a VR mouse? ..."

Miles has been doing amazing things for as long as I've known him...(decades)

Los

Hey Guys,

Let me know if I am oversharing, but there seems to be interest in following the development of this. The last 24 hours I have been on this Vive issue non stop. I setup up a mock lighthouse that strobed 850nm light every 8 ms. It interfered just like it did on Los's Vive. I was able to integrate a photo-diode to read the flash and was about 50% successful in timing the exposures when the strobe was off.

After a few hours analyzing the programmable registers on the sensor I may have a more effective solution that will also benefit Rift users. The short version is, any new sources of IR light are classified and tracked, but not assigned to the mouse cursor, unless certain parameters are satisfied.

The first test with my IR strobe simulator had no effect on the cursor. Additionally sometimes in my pit I would catch a ceiling light that was on bright and higher than the cursor and it would take control. That no longer happened on my initial test, I am sure a few issues will pop up, and I need do add some more parameters, but I feel this is on the right track.

I forgot I said I would post a few pics of the latest enclosure. Everything fits in there nice now, I just have to pretty it up a bit.

Thanks,

Miles

3dPcase2.thumb.jpg.eca8572e2870f9c2c472427438f585dd.jpg

3dPcase.thumb.jpg.7d8675dadb30f482e57bb2eabd59b3e4.jpg

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

@Miles

Fantastic to hear (and see!) the progress being made. Awesome work Sir!

Also great to hear feedback from Loz.:thumbup:

This is looking better and better.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

No such thing as over sharing when it comes to tech stuff like this. Its great to hear and see how things are progressing!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Great work MilesD :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

awsome! How could I miss that?

But please: update the first post so we don't need to scroll all pages :)

Q1: do you sell samples right now?

Q2: do you ship to Europe?

Q3: regarding Vive issues: do you ship the Oculus version anyway?

Thx!

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

I’m sure miles is busy doing amazing things so I’ll have a quick stab at answering some of the questions. I agree, updating the first post would probably be helpful.

1: not yet, soooon

2: should do!

3: not currently.

Proud owner of:

Awesome work sir! It's shaping up to be a very nice product!

I'd be curious to see how it functions in X-Plane 11. (My dad flies that more than DCS, but if it works well with X-Planes mouse cursor implementation then I'd wager he'll buy one too)

Oh, and I'm still interested, but may not be able to be a Day 1 purchase.

(My spending budget isn't that high, and holidays wiped out my reserve, so might take me a couple months to have the funds to purchase)

Hey Guys,

I have been working away on PointCTRL non stop. There just seems to be endless final things to do before production, and I really want to send it out right.

I am surprised that I had a working proof of concept device working in a week and here I am 8 months later still refining things for production. Anyway, we get closer everyday. I assembled some production PCBs for fixture design and testing and all went well. I have been focusing on the enclosures the past week and can say I have the final design production files for the FCU's. The HMS enclosures is tomorrows project. It should be much simpler than the FCU's. I have a basic concept that allows for quick changing between various HMD manufactures. After a lot of research and testing 3d printers for production I decided to go that route. The prints in the picture were printed for speed, and I will be applying some post 3d printing processing such as vapor smoothing.

Thanks

I will reply to the post questions tomorrow, Thanks for picking up my slack Dino,

Miles

Edit: The protrusions on top are for the mounting straps, I will post some pics tomorrow showing how the system works.

7558004_PointCTRLProto543.thumb.jpg.15727e0c16efa0da973c45bcb34a2f8e.jpg

Edited by MilesD

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Just found this thread - and it is just what I've been dreaming about - I am definitely in on a set of FCU's. Miles, I am impressed!

I can see this turning into a simulated laser finger pointer - that would be cool in DCS!

Cheers,

Vulture

Edited by Kirk66
added content

List update.

A

01/ aaron886

02/ AdrianK

03/ AKA_Clutter

04/ A2597

B

05/ Bankler