[REPORTED] latest update - Oculus Rift Issues

nazghool

I had all the reported issues, after the hotfix i'm unable to get past the menu.

The gui seems to be at a different resolution so i'm unable to reach any of the options below half way.

I'm on Oculus, win 10 Titan x (pascal) i7 7700k.

Having same issue. I'm really disappointed as groups I play with, they all require Beta.

HP Reverb, Intel I7 9700K, Zotac GTX 2080Ti, 32GB Ram @4000Mhz Corsair, SDD M.2 500GB Samsung 970 PRO

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody with SteamVR installed notice that DCS now seems to be triggering Steam VR to try to start? Is that maybe what's causing the performance and lockup issues for some and not for others? I even had Steam closed as I normally do when running DCS, and its now trying to start SteamVR on its own. I've always just used the Oculus software for DCS. Never SteamVR.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Anybody with SteamVR installed notice that DCS now seems to be triggering Steam VR to try to start? Is that maybe what's causing the performance and lockup issues for some and not for others? I even had Steam closed as I normally do when running DCS, and its now trying to start SteamVR on its own. I've always just used the Oculus software for DCS. Never SteamVR.

No not happening on my end, and I do have Steam VR installed.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I removed SteamVR from my machine, since I never use it, and then I tried the latest incarnation of the Beta. No crash so far, but when you jump into the cockpit and start moving, there is a definite, noticeable lag in rendering, with black bands appearing briefly on the side of your view that your head is moving away from. Also, the lag seems to be in tracking as well, since everything is blurry and lags behind head movement. Movement continues a little bit after you stop moving your head. The best way to describe it is that it feels like you're really drunk, trying to fly a plane. You very quickly feel disoriented and nauseous. Tried the VR shaders mod to see if that helps, and that mod appears to have no effect at all. In fact, the Beta doesn't even act like it should when compiling the mod for the first time. Just goes right into the game, with no mask visible around the outside of the screen. Definitely broken, so I'm glad I still have the previous incarnation of the release version. It works just fine, with no feeling of being drunk, and the shaders mod installs and compiles just like it always has. Hope they fix the Beta before trying to keep with the schedule of updating the release version on alternate weeks.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I think the tough part for them is going to be figuring out what is causing these VR issues, and why it affects some and not others with their Rifts.

Quite puzzling.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don, have you installed the VR shaders mod with the new Beta? Does that work for you as well?

Don, have you installed the VR shaders mod with the new Beta? Does that work for you as well?

The mod update works fine, but it doesn’t do anything for the ASW/blurred cockpits and jerky terrain that we are seeing.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

No I have not, I prefer not to have any Mods.

But I am having no issues running the Open Beta in my Rift, only issue I had this week was the game crashing when making controller setup changes while in VR, and the Hotfix seems to have fixed that for me.

Now I will also remind, I do not use ASW I have it turned off via the Oculus Tray Tool.

I tried it some with ASW on though just to see, and I still was not getting the issues others are.

Don B

Thanks imacken and Don. Maybe the mod having been installed in the first place is disagreeing with the new Beta update? I'm going to uninstall DCS Beta completely and download/install a fresh copy. Maybe that will fix it.

Thanks imacken and Don. Maybe the mod having been installed in the first place is disagreeing with the new Beta update? I'm going to uninstall DCS Beta completely and download/install a fresh copy. Maybe that will fix it.

A couple of things, firstly did you disable the mod before installing new beta? Secondly, are you running the updated mod for 2.5.3?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

No I have not, I prefer not to have any Mods.

But I am having no issues running the Open Beta in my Rift, only issue I had this week was the game crashing when making controller setup changes while in VR, and the Hotfix seems to have fixed that for me.

Now I will also remind, I do not use ASW I have it turned off via the Oculus Tray Tool.

I tried it some with ASW on though just to see, and I still was not getting the issues others are.

Don. You’re probably not seeing the effect as you run with ASW off, and ASW is not working correctly in this build, so it’s not possible to test it properly.

I know we have discussed this before, but I can’t understand anyone not running ASW. Apart from WWII swirly props, what is the downside?

For me, I can’t tolerate the blurred cockpit instruments with ASW off when moving your head left to right, and the blurred terrain best seen by gentle left and right roll movements.

That is the effect that a lot of people are complaining about in the last few days.

BTW, even though you have an aversion to mods, you really should try the shader mod. It’s pretty essential.

I'm going to have to answer no to both questions. Hadn't thought of that with previous updates, and it had never been a problem other than the mod just needing to be reinstalled afterward. Since Don said that he prefers not to have any mods, and has never installed it on his, I'm interested to see if that's the thing that is making it so he isn't having the same issues that a lot of us are. I'll report back in a few, just got the fresh Beta 2.5.3.21107 installed, and have cleared my fxo and metashaders2 folders in Saved Games.

[edit] Just something to add, based on the above post. I've never messed with ASW on my machine, so I wouldn't know if mine is on or off.

Edited by eaglecash867

I'm going to have to answer no to both questions. Hadn't thought of that with previous updates, and it had never been a problem other than the mod just needing to be reinstalled afterward. Since Don said that he prefers not to have any mods, and has never installed it on his, I'm interested to see if that's the thing that is making it so he isn't having the same issues that a lot of us are. I'll report back in a few, just got the fresh Beta 2.5.3.21107 installed, and have cleared my fxo and metashaders2 folders in Saved Games.

It’s not the mod causing the issues. I know that for 2 reasons, firstly, I always disable/uninstall all mods (mostly with OvGME) before any DCS update, and secondly, the mod didn’t initially work with Wednesday’s DCS update, so all effects being discussed were there with no mod in place.

Make sure you use the updated mod, as the original does not work with 2.5.3.

Fresh install of the Beta, no mods installed yet, problem remains.

I understand what you're saying imacken, but I don't think anyone can know for sure if removing a mod is getting all of it. Besides, my Beta install had become so borked after this latest patch, that I had to uninstall and reinstall anyway just to get it working again. Just figured this would be the golden opportunity to see if the common denominator can be found. No luck. Still feels like you're drunk in the cockpit.

Add me to the list. Since the update before last, translational movements (forward, backward, left, right) are laggy.

Now with this latest patch, even the shader performance mod isn't enough. Frame rates now, with the shader mod, are worse than they were without the shader mod two updates ago. cry.gif

Edited by Aries144

Fresh install of the Beta, no mods installed yet, problem remains.

I understand what you're saying imacken, but I don't think anyone can know for sure if removing a mod is getting all of it. Besides, my Beta install had become so borked after this latest patch, that I had to uninstall and reinstall anyway just to get it working again. Just figured this would be the golden opportunity to see if the common denominator can be found. No luck. Still feels like you're drunk in the cockpit.

Sorry to disagree, but, yes you can know for sure you have completely removed a mod. Do you know how OvGME works? It backs up the files replaced by a mod when enabling, and reinstates them when disabling.

Before doing any DCS update, my standard procedure is run OvGME, disable all mods, run repair (just to check), run update, run DCS to check how things are running, then run OvGME and enable all mods.

Now, in the case of the shaders mod, things are more complicated. There are a couple of additional steps, i.e. emptying the dxo and metashaders2 folders as well as renaming the DCS folders within the mods\terrains\xxxx\misc\metashader folders, but it’s all set out in the readme file.

when you jump into the cockpit and start moving, there is a definite, noticeable lag in rendering, with black bands appearing briefly on the side of your view that your head is moving away from. Also, the lag seems to be in tracking as well, since everything is blurry and lags behind head movement. Movement continues a little bit after you stop moving your head. The best way to describe it is that it feels like you're really drunk, trying to fly a plane. You very quickly feel disoriented and nauseous.

My experience is exactly the same. I rolled back to 2.5.2 since I can't fly for longer than 10 minutes in 2.5.3 without getting nauseous.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Add me to the list. Since the update before last, translational movements (forward, backward, left, right) are laggy.

Now with this latest patch, even the shader performance mod isn't enough. Frame rates now, with the shader mod, are worse than they were without the shader mod two updates ago. cry.gif

I have the same "lag", like you were drunk in cockpit, appart of ASW not working. Reverting to 2.5.2 after that, ASW on without any lag

Don. You’re probably not seeing the effect as you run with ASW off, and ASW is not working correctly in this build, so it’s not possible to test it properly.

I know we have discussed this before, but I can’t understand anyone not running ASW. Apart from WWII swirly props, what is the downside?

For me, I can’t tolerate the blurred cockpit instruments with ASW off when moving your head left to right, and the blurred terrain best seen by gentle left and right roll movements.

That is the effect that a lot of people are complaining about in the last few days.

BTW, even though you have an aversion to mods, you really should try the shader mod. It’s pretty essential.

With ASW on, I get of course the swirly gun-sight recticle and also blurring of planes ( like double image) as they fly by. With ASW off I do not get that, even if fps is down to 45. I can not explain why that is, it is just a better experience for me.

Now after this past week's update, I assumed ASW is not working for me either - I did some testing with ASW on, and while my fps would be locked at either 45 fps or 90 fps as one would expect it to be with ASW on, I did not get the blurring as planes flew by or squiggly gun-sign recticle. But it was still smooth for me.

For whatever reason on my particular system, I seem to have a better experience overall with ASW set to off. I have been running it that way for quite some time.

Don B

With ASW on, I get of course the swirly gun-sight recticle and also blurring of planes ( like double image) as they fly by. With ASW off I do not get that, even if fps is down to 45. I can not explain why that is, it is just a better experience for me.

Now after this past week's update, I assumed ASW is not working for me either - I did some testing with ASW on, and while my fps would be locked at either 45 fps or 90 fps as one would expect it to be with ASW on, I did not get the blurring as planes flew by or squiggly gun-sign recticle. But it was still smooth for me.

For whatever reason on my particular system, I seem to have a better experience overall with ASW set to off. I have been running it that way for quite some time.

Don, it APPEARS to be working, as in it switches on, but it is not ACTUALLY working.

I’ve reverted to the previous OB, and all is well.

NineLine has said this update is a mess, so I suspect we’ll see a fix sooner rather than later.

Don, it APPEARS to be working, as in it switches on, but it is not ACTUALLY working.

I’ve reverted to the previous OB, and all is well.

NineLine has said this update is a mess, so I suspect we’ll see a fix sooner rather than later.

Patiently waiting here. :joystick:

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

same here... VR unplayable now... was perfect before the last update+hotfix...

ED, you have to buy some more VR headsets, because otherwise you won't be able to test it properly before releasing new updates.

I think VR is the future of flightsimulation therefore you should take more care of the simmers who spend thousands of dollars on their hardware to make the VR-experience possible.

These are the guys who want to throw their money at you whenever you only announce a new module, no matter if it's a map, some additional assets or a new aircraft.

Take care of them and don't let them grounded for weeks just because you're unable to test the VR-side of DCS before releasing new updates.

Just my honest opinion. Don't wanna be offending.

Edited by JumpinK

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

ASW issue still there for me with 2.5.3.21153. Kegetys mod still works though.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals