Screen flickering since 2.5.4

ams999

Not sure what to tell you guys, I've run all three maps that I have without this issue since doing the above. (PG, Causcaus and NVD) only other thing I can think is if you were not doing a complete driver removal with the Display Driver Uninstaller program from within safe mode!

• ED Team

I do not think it is related to the NVIDIA Geforce Experience. I have tested with and without and I still see a slight flicker.

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If you are talking about a light flickering at the top of the screen that can be resolved by ALT - ENTERING as soon as you get into game.

The black boxes flickering was definitely being caused by GFE for me. Do you have any other Overlays enabled such as the Discord overlay etc!

Edited by Badass1982

Summer is away now, but there are no improvements

Tracks especially for who believe GFExperience is the cause. AMD graphics users also experiencing this.

Additional info: one track that has one reproduceable flickering the flickering don't came in slow track replay speed (this case:

)

track link: https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=212066&d=1560681753

(2,5,5,32299_blackFlickersPlaceOnSea.trk)

full original post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3951346&postcount=374

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rg15L8-XPOHCu-nTyv5dri-sUBue3Bw-

(2,5,5,35461_LeftLookingAgainAfterForcedLanding.trk)

(original left looking track: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3951409&postcount=376)

All captured with GTX 1070

(NVIDIA driver 1 version older than the up to date)

Edited by discwalker

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

Here is the black flickering boxes happening whilst taxing/flying on the Nevada/CausCaus map (watch the whole video)

Nevada

Causcaus

Causcaus Track file and Nevada Track file included in the link below:

TRACK FILES >>> https://files.fm/u/p74wnuta

Had to rush off to work but I will upload the track files for both the above flights that I have tonight.

. Please take a look devs!

DxDiag.txt

Edited by Badass1982

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I've been doing some more testing tonight and I had some luck changing the G-sync setting in the driver from "Run in Full screen and windowed mode" to "Run in Full Screen mode only"

I now have nearly no black flickering , I do still however have quite a lot of random stutters despite having consistent high fps over over 70fps and preload set to max with 64GB RAM installed. (Just tested this in Single player as this was on one of the servers I host from the same connection I was playing on and the stuttering was vastly reduced so I'm putting the stuttering down to Network primarily 300Mbit connection also running 3 server instances.

Seems to definitely be related to the refresh rate and how DCS renders that some how, but I'm not sure its G-sync as AMD users are having the same issue in here!

Edited by Badass1982

• ED Team
Ok I've been doing some more testing tonight and I had some luck changing the G-sync setting in the driver from "Run in Full screen and windowed mode" to "Run in Full Screen mode only"

I now have nearly no black flickering , I do still however have quite a lot of random stutters despite having consistent high fps over over 70fps and preload set to max with 64GB RAM installed. (Just tested this in Single player as this was on one of the servers I host from the same connection I was playing on and the stuttering was vastly reduced so I'm putting the stuttering down to Network primarily 300Mbit connection also running 3 server instances.

Seems to definitely be related to the refresh rate and how DCS renders that some how, but I'm not sure its G-sync as AMD users are having the same issue in here!

I am NVIDIA I don't use any sync at all, and I only see a little flicker, and I don't see any black boxes.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Well I don't know what's causing it hence posting here, what I do know is that this is the only program that does this, and many other people in this thread are having the exact same issues as me with DCS. With many different types of configs, on that alone I would say it's an issue with the software/engine somewhere.

• ED Team

It is reported to the team, but I dont have any progress to share sorry.

Nvidia 1070ti, latest drivers, no problema.

That stuttering or choppiness with a good frame rate is probably Windows doing something behind the scenes. At least that was the case for me not too long ago.

Also, I get better performance out my Nvidia cards when I select "use my settings..quality" in the Nvidia settings app. My DCS settings are at the "high" setting.

And I use Vsync because it's smoother.

Edited by Zeagle

Well once and for all I have managed to stop the flickering (in my case at least) it was directly related to the overclock that I had set on my 2080ti.

Zero idea why every other game I run on it overclocked runs perfectly, but by creating 2 profiles one at stock clocks for DCS and another overclocked for every other game I have managed to stop the black squares entirely. Temperatures were not an issue with my card not getting higher than 40C under a full load.

No idea why this is still happening to others whom dont have overclocked cards though.

For the sake of science

I feel myself sick from flickering science experiments...

But my card back throttled with ASUS GPU Tweak II to -71 or -88 MHz (to possible minimal nominal clock)

the flickering are the same with my tracks.

My cards (GTX 1070) factory clock speed is 1771 MHz (With the old software displayed this 105%)

The OSD of the software is mess with lighting and smoke of the Kuznetsov when once used,

so I don't upload that video: with approx 1450MHz current GPU speed at 41 degrees celsius and the awful flickerings.

Very sickening to use the tracks parked state at time pause and move the mouse for the random but sure coming flickers.

edit: Unfortunately record was off when I experienced a whole second long black box, only a small right portion of the game screen was intact

2,5,5,35461_su33_flickers_in_paused_state.trk

Edited by discwalker
addition

Well once and for all I have managed to stop the flickering (in my case at least) it was directly related to the overclock that I had set on my 2080ti.

Zero idea why every other game I run on it overclocked runs perfectly, but by creating 2 profiles one at stock clocks for DCS and another overclocked for every other game I have managed to stop the black squares entirely. Temperatures were not an issue with my card not getting higher than 40C under a full load.

No idea why this is still happening to others whom dont have overclocked cards though.

Yes I had to do the same as well. I forgot to report it here, but that's how I fixed the crashes I have been having.

It took me a while to find a programme that allowed me to underclock my GPU though. I also use ASUS GPU Tweak II now (the nVidia branded utitity I got earlier only allowed OVERclocking, not UNDERclocking).

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS graphics settings

Oh I didn't UNDER-CLOCK my card. I just made the overclock slightly less. I had it set to an offset of +150 on the core and +500 on the VRAM on an RTX 2080ti. I have been testing most of today and have found that by lowering JUST the core to +140 core instead of +150 offset my flickering has completely gone, It should be noted that for the sake of science I did try and was unsuccessful in running a 3dmark benchmark using my prior settings , however lowering my offset by +10 seems to have done the trick

My card is the factory overclocked EVGA FTW3 RTX2080ti and I have it under custom liquid cooling, It really is funny as this card doesn't even hit 45 degrees Celsius under heavy load but its pretty well publicized now that the RTX series of cards are renowned for not being very good overclock-ers (not that they need it).

The black flicker is an internal bug DCS, it manifests itself on the reference graphic cards that have a lower frequency.

File 2,5,5,35461_su33_flickers_in_paused_state.trk reliably demonstrates.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Recently the problems returned for me, even with my graphics card underclocked:

2019-10-15 18:29:36.817 INFO DX11BACKEND: Unloaded 522 mb of textures.

2019-10-15 18:30:22.626 ERROR DX11BACKEND: DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0020

2019-10-15 18:30:24.699 WARNING LOG: 2 duplicate message(s) skipped.

2019-10-15 18:30:24.699 ERROR DX11BACKEND: failed to create structed buffer. Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED

2019-10-15 18:30:24.699 ERROR DX11BACKEND: CreateShaderResourceView FAILED. Reason: E_INVALIDARG

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS graphics settings

NerdShowAndTell was streaming this night and had similar issues with the black screen popping. He was able to repro it by having "Full Screen" enabled in the video main config and alt-tabbing out + in. He was able to resolve it by turning off the fullscreen option.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Groundpounder extraordinaire

SPECS: i7-4790K, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 16 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980ti, Thrustmaster WARTHOG HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Since 2018 december 20 (the first 2.5.4) this bug annoying us. Each and every one openbeta has this bug since then. 2.5.5.40269 too. It would be a beautiful gift from ED to smash this bug finally, sooner than later. In this state DCS hurts us.

• 3 weeks later...