Only wish I ever want, save a game in the middle

Commandosolo

Yes absolutely! A must have.

They would sell many more campaigns if they had this feature.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

u just want to cheat and restart from a safe area after you get blown up :D

Well the mission designer could handle that in different ways. Honestly I like a degree of enforced challenge in games. And you’re right, knowing that you can just qsave your way through takes away the thrill. Many PC games I can remember had that feature but not many do now it seems.

Flight sims have such free ranging gameplay it’s hard to figure how to incorporate saves. There aren’t checkpoints for example. But mission designers could perhaps choose, after mission waypoints, certain objectives or none if they want to create a challenge.

Doing the Maple Flag course for example, a big part of the challenge is getting it all correct, miss an item on the shutdown checklist and you fail. Saving your way through would be a cheat.

But other campaigns I can see save at will being beneficial.

The bottom line is most other games aren’t so inflexible. I would dare say it’s a chief reason flight sims aren’t appealing to many players. They just require too much time. Most other types of games can be played in 15-30 minute sessions.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

There would need to be a position to save in said mission setup by the mission maker. Otherwise this would mess up scripts. Like having a save option you add when building up the mission in the editor. E.G spawning "here" will not effect previous scripts. Save Score now at (50% etc)

You can save when at way-point 3. When you save this (At set way point), it also saves the score, so you can continue on from there and trigger the rest of the triggers in the mission.

That's the only way I see this working. Mission designers then need to allow for this save or saves when building the mission.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

fly your mission, do your objectives. when you don't like the outcome or you got shot down just save the track.

load up the track, speed forward CTRL+Z then Shift+Z to back to normal speed. I remember there is an option if you want to take control. Select it then dodge that missile like a pro.

never done it but it may work.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

fly your mission, do your objectives. when you don't like the outcome or you got shot down just save the track.

load up the track, speed forward CTRL+Z then Shift+Z to back to normal speed. I remember there is an option if you want to take control. Select it then dodge that missile like a pro.

Give it a try. Once you speed forward, 99% of the time, your track will no longer match what happened.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

This won’t count as a success in a campaign to advance though. But the ability to do this seems to indicate that saving games is possible.

we've been trying to do this for years.

Whilst we can save units position and there are tools out there you can do this with and campaigns, what we cannot do is dynamically move clients in missions or change them with any API. You just cannot convert a ground start to an air start inside the mission (read "at mission start") and would require a bunch of code from ED to do this, that, if they made it one more thing that single players can get and MP cannot I would seriously have a meltdown.

We want, more strictly speaking, the ability to move FARP's warehouse, client slots, save warehouse contents inside a mission, and unit/group status, position, routes and tasks - thus an API call to do these, in order to have a fully dynamic mission capable of correctly saving it's state.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

u just want to cheat and restart from a safe area after you get blown up :D

And what’s wrong with that? There are some excellent story driven campaigns out there, but redoing the first 30-45 minutes of a mission each time you get shot down in the climax of the mission gets very mind numbing the third or fourth time around.

This is a piece of entertainment software, after all. (I dare say game, for fear of the “its a sim!” reaction, but unless you are a real world A10 or 18 driver using it to keep your currency and skill, it’s a game)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I see all the work around with the tracks and such but when the baby is screaming, the woman is screaming, the other kids are screaming it would be nice to push a single button, save the game and then save the day!

In the end it's a game and it's not life. I don't care about the cheaters because I said only in single player. That's a life choice they make to cheat.

And what’s wrong with that? There are some excellent story driven campaigns out there, but redoing the first 30-45 minutes of a mission each time you get shot down in the climax of the mission gets very mind numbing the third or fourth time around.

This is a piece of entertainment software, after all. (I dare say game, for fear of the “its a sim!” reaction, but unless you are a real world A10 or 18 driver using it to keep your currency and skill, it’s a game)

I suppose there is nothing wrong with it assuming you are ok with being a cheater. :music_whistling:

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

I see all the work around with the tracks and such but when the baby is screaming, the woman is screaming, the other kids are screaming it would be nice to push a single button, save the game and then save the day!

In the end it's a game and it's not life. I don't care about the cheaters because I said only in single player. That's a life choice they make to cheat.

Hit "pause" or "esc" do your stuff, come back and continue.

As for the repeating because you are shot down - part of the fun on a combat flight sim as DCS is to pre-brief, plan and familiarize carefully with the mission flow and objectives, then execute your preparation from start-up to shut-down. This is where DCS focuses and this is why there is no option to save, it is not intended to be used this way.

If you have to repeat the same part all over again until you learn the "pattern" and pass it aka Super Mario level, then DCS is not the correct title for you or you have to improve your skill before jumping on that mission/campaign.

Just my 2 cents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hit "pause" or "esc" do your stuff, come back and continue.

Because continuing will mean leaving your PC on pause for several days. :cry:

This is where DCS focuses and this is why there is no option to save, it is not intended to be used this way.

I don’t know if that’s intended or just a game engine limitation. But the problem with that philosophy is that DCS will just flounder and die in the marketplace. I’ll bet the chief obstacle to flight sims being popular is not needing a joystick or just being complex. Many games are complex. Some like racing sims require wheels and yet those don’t seem to suffer. What makes flight sims suffer is there’s no good single player way to use the game, meaning campaigns, that allow you to play in sessions. Any game that requires your undivided attention for hours just isn’t going to be approachable to many.

In DCS the average player can probably manage one or two campaign missions per week (assuming they are employed, which given the price of the hardware they’ll need to be)

Well it’s no great leap of logic to realize that this impacts how many campaigns can be sold to anyone. It takes months to play through one. A save system would sell more campaigns and more aircraft.

Edited by SharpeXB

Your current options have been mentioned. Need to step away briefly, pause it. Need longer, escape, and save the track for later.

Tracks are not always reliable, but that's what we have.

Beyond that we're entering "wish list" material.

Your current options have been mentioned. Need to step away briefly, pause it. Need longer, escape, and save the track for later.

That's exactly what this thread is about.... And I totally agree.

You want more modules? Then more Cashflow is required, thus an extended player base. A save functionality, believe it or not, will get additional guys to check dcs - and more modules will be sold.

Just ask around how many guys do not buy campaigns because they mostly do not have enough time to play more than an hour in one session.

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk

As for the repeating because you are shot down - part of the fun on a combat flight sim as DCS is to pre-brief, plan and familiarize carefully with the mission flow and objectives, then execute your preparation from start-up to shut-down. This is where DCS focuses and this is why there is no option to save, it is not intended to be used this way.

Time to get off your high horse. The original Lock On had a save button. It just never worked correctly and ED didn't have resources to fix it, so they removed it completely in one of the patches.

It's just a game limitation, not some grand design to force people to use the sim the one and correct way.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil WarBRD, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yes but again, the Track feature “take over” even if it works, won’t count as a mission success to advance you in a campaign. I did try that once.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with it assuming you are ok with being a cheater. :music_whistling:

Haha, if you’re trying to troll and fire me up, you’ll need to do better than that :megalol:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2