HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I think the decent blacks come from the fact that the screens are quite bright, so there is good contrast between lights and darks. It's like a cinema screen is all white, but once an image is projected you perceive black areas. I'm finding the Reverb to have slightly better contrast and blacks in daytime scenes than the Rift S.

Night time/space though is a different matter, as you don't necessarily have the bright areas to fool your eyes into seeing blacks as much. Having said that, the Steam VR grid area has a night time sky and it certainly looks decent.

Also, just did a quick test on IL2 BoS (which is a title I never found much time to play up to now) and I would agree with all the points noted above. I have turned on the WMR motion smoothing so it runs at a steady 45fps, but is very smooth and detail and clarity are very impressive, to the point where makes me want to play this game more.

Edit: one thing I did notice in IL2 was the mouse not working in VR, I had to prop the Reverb on my forehead and navigate with the mouse on the mirrored image on my monitor, so a bit of a glitch there, although that might be due to inexperience with the WMR/IL2 combination.

Edited by John Hargreaves

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

Edit: one thing I did notice in IL2 was the mouse not working in VR, I had to prop the Reverb on my forehead and navigate with the mouse on the mirrored image on my monitor, so a bit of a glitch there, although that might be due to inexperience with the WMR/IL2 combination.

It's not IL2, happens to me a lot in various titles in WMR including DCS.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

In that you wrote:

> my Vive Pro defaults to 100% which SteamVR reports as 2016x2240!

2016 x 2240 is 1.4x (the SteamVR render scale target for pre-warp, as mentioned above) of the native resolution of 1440 x 1600. So SteamVR 100% SS by default.

EDIT: I should expand on that a bit. It's like why the Odyssey Plus is clearer with a DCS PD of 1.0 and a SteamVR SS of 210%. The base resolution of the O+ at SteamVR 100% SS is reported as 1426x1779. If you increase it to 210% (2064x2576 per eye) then you can see it is taking the native resolution of 1440x1600 and getting close to that 1.4x warp distortion size. What that means is that in the center the pixels are the clearest because they are close to 1 pixel per 1 native pixel where you need it the most. For sims and clarity that helps a lot.

interesting points but just wondering what your suggested settings are for the reverb and the DCS in terms of custom resolution (in steam VR) and also PD in game? (have been running 188% custom res (on the basis this aligns the res with the native) and 1.0 PD in game?

interesting points but just wondering what your suggested settings are for the reverb and the DCS in terms of custom resolution (in steam VR) and also PD in game? (have been running 188% custom res (on the basis this aligns the res with the native) and 1.0 PD in game?

These values are down to you. It all depends on your system and what your GPU/CPU combo can handle. Try holding at 188% and vary the PD. Use fpsVR to see your fps and what %age load your GPU and CPU are running for different PD/SS combinations.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

These values are down to you. It all depends on your system and what your GPU/CPU combo can handle. Try holding at 188% and vary the PD. Use fpsVR to see your fps and what %age load your GPU and CPU are running for different PD/SS combinations.

so I ended up in the WMR portal setting setting hz to auto and quality to auto - and setting the cust res in steamVR to 150 with PD 1.0 - and my fps hovers around 45 (almost as if there is a some kind of ASW running surely this should be 60 with the reverb?)

my steamVR is showing reprojection as on and smoothing as off - even though I did not have to set these - any idea how to change these?

overall experience is very good and the res is much improved from anything else I have tried - although I was sometimes getting some judder when moving my head...…..

so I ended up in the WMR portal setting setting hz to auto and quality to auto - and setting the cust res in steamVR to 150 with PD 1.0 - and my fps hovers around 45 (almost as if there is a some kind of ASW running surely this should be 60 with the reverb?)

No, the Reverb is 90Hz, so 45 is right. Personally, I have quality set to 'Very high (beta)' and 90Hz.

check your vrsettings file in '\Steam Libray\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings' to see if 'motionReprojectionMode' is uncommented. Best if it is, in my opinion.

my steamVR is showing reprojection as on and smoothing as off - even though I did not have to set these - any idea how to change these?

Pretty sure you can't change these in SteamVR for WMR, but I might be wrong.

Hey guys, any feedback on the microphone for the reverb? As good as CV1? I need to use it for voice attack.

I watched a test on youtube, unsure who it was now, but they said the microphones were very good.

It may have been Adam Savages Tested vids. They did a couple.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Looks like all my hopes are now on the Reverb. After finishing my new TOTL computer for exclusive VR use, I was finally able to give the Pimax 5K + a try.

It was horrid. I honestly thought the rez was just as bad as my CV1? I CAN'T believe I spent 3 Grand on a new computer for this? I need to try some other "games" I guess, But first up was Xplane, and it put me in a big hanger with aircraft, that from a distance, looked like big white blobs.

If Imacken is right and The Reverb isn't dramatically better than Gen 1.5 such as the 5K+, then I'll go triple monitors. because from what I can tell Gen 1.5 sucks hard. Extremely low rez with Moire effect everywhere.

Edited by Wmacky

No, the Reverb is 90Hz, so 45 is right. Personally, I have quality set to 'Very high (beta)' and 90Hz.

check your vrsettings file in '\Steam Libray\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings' to see if 'motionReprojectionMode' is uncommented. Best if it is, in my opinion.

Pretty sure you can't change these in SteamVR for WMR, but I might be wrong.

thanks for the reply

so for question one you mean as the native is 90hz then the WMR version of ASW will drop it to 45? (if you set to 60hz then it will drop to 30?)?

so do you mean the WMR version of ASW cant be disabled - its just always on and motion smoothing is whats referenced in the below link? (I think my config suggests it was disabled which is your suggestion) - but you can enable using the directions below?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=228378

thanks for the reply

so for question one you mean as the native is 90hz then the WMR version of ASW will drop it to 45? (if you set to 60hz then it will drop to 30?)?

so do you mean the WMR version of ASW cant be disabled - its just always on and motion smoothing is whats referenced in the below link? (I think my config suggests it was disabled which is your suggestion) - but you can enable using the directions below?

You can disable WMR reprojection by commenting motionreprojectionMode line:

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

// "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto"

Howerver, if you disable motionreprojection and if your fps are below 60 - SteamVR rotational correction will kick in. It will simply lock your fps at 45 without doing any sort of interpolation. This mode just plain sucks

Looks like all my hopes are now on the Reverb. After finishing my new TOTL computer for exclusive VR use, I was finally able to give the Pimax 5K + a try.

It was horrid. I honestly thought the rez was just as bad as my CV1? I CAN'T believe I spent 3 Grand on a new computer for this? I need to try some other "games" I guess, But first up was Xplane, and it put me in a big hanger with aircraft, that from a distance, looked like big white blobs.

If Imacken is right and The Reverb isn't traumatically better than Gen 1.5 such as the 5K+, then I'll go triple monitors. because from what I can tell Gen 1.5 sucks hard. Extremely low rez with Moire effect everywhere.

I'm also inclining towards the triple displays at least for a year or two. Even Reverb doesn't read all that impressive, with the sweet spot and colors. I need to try it on some demonstration.

A GPU which could power DCS through the Reverb with solid 90 FPS will not exist for a while and this compromise is killing me with constant graphics, SS and PD adjustments and experimenting. And $$$ above all. Any lower res than 2k and we're back at SDE...

If only there would be a solution to power each screen with a separate 1080ti, to knock the FPS up. This alone would help greatly. VRWorks is all in the future. Dual GPU cards designed for VR

Monitors are literally fire-and-forget system in comparison.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

your happiness depends on your expectations. most of us enjoyed the v1 headsets and never looked back.

so the v2’s are just a bonus

I don't expect monitor clarity, put surely it should be better than this? The view was much like what I see if I don't wear my glasses in real life. "And I was wearing glasses with the 5K"I assume resolution causing this "Out of focus effect" .

Maybe it's something with Xplane, as I did try a couple Oculas titles as a test when the 5K came in and they weren't so blury.

I guess I was just a little shocked by all the talk on how the clarity of the 5K+ was so sharp. All I see is Cessna's about 50' away look like fuzzy blobs. Is my 5K defective?

This is disappointing as I'm dumping thousands in a dual use racing / Flight motion cockpit setup! Heck I have about $5000 just in flight / racing peripherals. I MUST have Xplane11, DCS, and Assetto Corsa all working with acceptable clarity in VR!

BTW - I am NOT anti VR. VR has been my dream since 1990. I am anti blury images! Also, I know this is a Reverb thread, and I await mine from Amazon, as I box up this 5K and list it on Ebay.

Edited by Wmacky

Well I've been on the PC all day trying this n that. God that Windows / steam wmr software is clunky. Most times it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you have a mouse, sometimes you don't. I think there could be a market for a standalone app that does all the VR stuff itself with no other third parties other than the game app.

I have been trying all afternoon to get a audio feed through to my Buttkicker with Voicemeeter without success. I had audio but no kicker, then I had kicker, but lost audio, then lost both the kicker and audio. Then I got audio back. Sick of looking at steam vr mirroring and sounds in control panel. If I set one more default device I will scream.

Everything worked fine with Oculus with Voicemeeter as default audio device and Rift as default communications device. Not so in WMR.

I think the only recourse is to ditch the Reverb headphones and use analogue audio earbuds with a splitter cable.

As for steam video settings, I ended up with 150% res, high quality with reprojection enabled, and PD 1.0 in DCS. I see there is motion smoothing in beta test for WMR devices which will be nice when released. Again things can only get better.

As for performance, in the air everything seems fine, but taxying on the ground in PG is problematic if looking out the side of the canopy. NTTR is substantially better in this regard, but still not perfect.

Reverb itself has been fine all day, but suddenly started the disconnects again. It is definitely usb firmware related, as it is around the same time every day.

That F14 cockpit really pops in the Reverb.....very impressive.

But boy is that WMR software pants.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

The headphones are the weakest component by a mile tbh. I removed them after half an hour.

I'm puzzled that you're experiencing issues at ground level. I've been really pleased with it. Could just be that I have lower standards.

A small pie is soon eaten

We should all be happy that wags said they would look into native vr support for wmr devices "soon".

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The headphones are the weakest component by a mile tbh. I removed them after half an hour.

I'm puzzled that you're experiencing issues at ground level. I've been really pleased with it. Could just be that I have lower standards.

Or the fact he has a 4790k and IIRC you have 9x proc.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You can disable WMR reprojection by commenting motionreprojectionMode line:

"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {

// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation

// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection

// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate

// "motionReprojectionMode" : "auto"

Howerver, if you disable motionreprojection and if your fps are below 60 - SteamVR rotational correction will kick in. It will simply lock your fps at 45 without doing any sort of interpolation. This mode just plain sucks

Just checking we are talking about the same thing from what I gather reprojection (rift equivalent is ASW) seems to be always on (if my framerate can't hit 90 it get cuts to 45) -

what I was talking about in previous post was motion smoothing referenced in the below post:

have just enabled it and it does make a big difference (tested it in asseto corsa and will try DCS next) - note the 2 are sometimes flagged at the bottom of my steamVR options menu (they get shown as on or off) - just checked now and there are not displayed but before (maybe when I had a game running they were shown...…………………..

Or the fact he has a 4790k and IIRC you have 9x proc.

No, I'm on a i7-4790K. Seems to work ok overall. Yes there has been the occasional blip but I also improved things quite a lot by making this change to the ASMedia USB 3.0 extensible host controller (where they change to an MS driver). Perhaps that could help.

https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/9650/mixed-reality-will-not-recognize-my-usb-3-0-or-3-1-ports

A small pie is soon eaten

Here's another Reverb review from over at the X-Plane 11 Forum it's about 3/4 the way down the page he's using a GTX-1070.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/182192-hp-reverb-initial-impressions/

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, 64gb Trident Z 3600 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

Just checking we are talking about the same thing from what I gather reprojection (rift equivalent is ASW) seems to be always on (if my framerate can't hit 90 it get cuts to 45) -

what I was talking about in previous post was motion smoothing referenced in the below post:

have just enabled it and it does make a big difference (tested it in asseto corsa and will try DCS next) - note the 2 are sometimes flagged at the bottom of my steamVR options menu (they get shown as on or off) - just checked now and there are not displayed but before (maybe when I had a game running they were shown...…………………..

That link is the same as what I said to you in an earlier post. It's called motionReprojection in WMR, not motion smoothing. That is a SteamVR setting.

Here's another Reverb review from over at the X-Plane 11 Forum it's about 3/4 the way down the page he's using a GTX-1070.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/182192-hp-reverb-initial-impressions/

Always good to get more info , BUT the guy with 1070 reports 30 frames with all settings "maxed" , and no mention of altitude/scenery , while a responder in the thread says he gets 22-30 frames depending on scenery and aircraft , but no mention of settings-with a 1080ti !

I would be shocked if the 1070 could run either sim acceptably with a Reverb - and i say that as one who runs a 1070 and is shortly going to upgrade his headset .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

That link is the same as what I said to you in an earlier post. It's called motionReprojection in WMR, not motion smoothing. That is a SteamVR setting.

think I got it - but to be clear before I made the adjustment (in the link) to the vrsettings file my framerate was getting locked to the 45 which assume was using the steam adjustment - now I have made the adjustment (removing the // from the required lines as per the link) when my frames lock to 45s it using the WMR adjustments? - which I am guessing is better)

No, I'm on a i7-4790K. Seems to work ok overall. Yes there has been the occasional blip but I also improved things quite a lot by making this change to the ASMedia USB 3.0 extensible host controller (where they change to an MS driver). Perhaps that could help.

https://forums.hololens.com/discussion/9650/mixed-reality-will-not-recognize-my-usb-3-0-or-3-1-ports

Ah got it backwards sorry. Weird that its seemingly better for you than him.